Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more class acts like that. Keep it up, Maxi!

SupaMario and cigar_city repped this.
  2. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Ojo con La Lepra!!!

Would of course love to see Newell's somehow catch Boca for the title, but the team has been struggling on the road quite a bit this semestre. Scocco wildly inconsistent (the only thing he does consistently, incidentally).

Guy who is surprising me with his energetic reemergence into the attacking fulcrum is Gato Formica. He has been great so far.

Long way to go still in this ridiculous 30 team league schedule, but fun to be near the top and glad to be within the top 5.

RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.
  3. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

This is from today's match, suspended after the heavy rain...

SupaMario, Burr and cigar_city repped this.
  4. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    I've seen that kid there before, on Paso a Paso, always playing and having fun.

To be a kid again in the rain...

SupaMario repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him over most of the stiffs on la seleccion.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Newell's is right there.

Boca has been struggling. I haven't seen any team that has asserted itself in this tournament, in a way champions do. It's still there for the taking right now, for Boca, Newell's, or a number of other teams. Whoever gets their act together.

cigar_city repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gago could stay healthy it'd already be in the bag but Gago is gonna Gago.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The bottom line is this tournament is very mediocre in terms of quality, but the finish will be exciting not just to see who lifts the trophy at the end, but to see who will get into the 2018 Copa Libertadores.

The top four teams will go directly into the group stage while the fifth placed team will go into the final play off round.

Right now we've got Boca with 45, Newell's with 42, then River, Racing, and Estudiantes all on 39. Struggling San Lorenzo has 37, but could easily get back into it if they get their act together, while Colon of all teams has 36, but with one game in hand and if they beat Tigre in Santa Fe tonight, will pull level with the other teams on 39 points. Banfield also has 36 and perhaps even Independiente could put up a fight as they have 34.

I obviously think this 30 team tournament is farcical, but I am glad that we are at least going to get a serious title race and a serious qualification for the Libertadores like they have in Europe for the Champions League. The qualification process for this years version based on the "torneo de trancisición" was laughable.

As a River supporter, I know last night we missed a huge chance to go within four points of Boca, and now things are going to get harder. We have some long trips coming up in the Copa, going to Ecuador Thursday, then a few weeks later to the altitude of Arequipa. Hopefully we have the depth and fitness to cope with the run of fixture, but we can't drop anymore points, especially in matches where we dominate. So far this season, River has dropped more points than any other team from winning positions (Defensa y Justicia, SM de SJ, Boca, Arsenal, Sarmiento), which comes down to a lack of concentration in many cases, but also having a 20 year old goalkeeper who clearly becomes a deer in headlights in the big moments of a match, like last night. Yet in terms of quality of football being played, I don't think anyone can deny River is playing the best attacking football in the country, yet the results have been poor and we have only ourselves to blame for being six points back.

A lot will come down to the Superclasico on May 14th, but lets not forget, the week before, Boca must travel to Estudiantes and the week after, they host Newell's, I think its in this run of three fixtures that the titles will be decided.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know if in the bag, but I agree that Boca is not the same without Gago. I am aware of everything Tevez means to Boca, but right now I think Boca misses Gago more than it misses Tevez.

It's going to be a fun and excruciating finish.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Holy shit... Defensa y Justicia just eliminated Sao Paulo from the Copa Sudamericana :eek:

Bien ahi, Halcon.. If anyone would have said this would happen a few years ago, everybody would be laughing hysterically

SupaMario and Burr repped this.
  12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You have to laugh at Pratto. Leaves Atletico Mineiro for a so called "bigger club" and gets knocked out by Defensa y Justicia in the Sudamericana, while Mineiro is one of the favorites for Libertadores. I'm sure he's on a bigger contract at SP, but if it were about the money, he would have gone to china. Horrible (and bizarre) career move.

SupaMario repped this.
  13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1563 RiverGaucho, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Congrats to Boca Juniors on winning the Primera Division title. To our friends @Moishe @Burr @argentine soccer fan and the other plastic fans like @Siempre_Albiceleste , congrats.

It was a strange season, with a long break in the middle, but despite that, and my club's surge and victory in La Bombonera, along with the improbable surge of Falcioni's Banfield, Boca is the champ. And, even though it pains me to say so, they are rightful champs. 30 games and they were the best team. No complaints from here. Well played. Boca was better over the season, which is the point of a league... Well done to Guillermo, a man i don't like, but he escaped the phantom of La Volpe... To deliver a title to his people.

There is still some left to play, one left relegation spot, plus the cup spots....

I do just want to say, I hope that in the not too distant future we will see an Argentine league with 20 teams (or 22 if the AFA insists) with home and away and the best team is champ, the next 4 go to the Copa, and the bottom four go down...

This championship was fairly close to that, but there was no home and away element... for example- just two days ago, my River welcomed Racing to El Monumental for the first time in over three years- this is the oldest clasico in the country... To go three years without one or the other visiting the other's ground is beyond stupid. Its like Arsenal and Liverpool not playing for 3 years in London... Or Roma and Juve not playing for 3 years in Turin. The AFA just can't help itself when it comes to stupidity. Hopefully, one day, we'll see a 20 team championship that follows Europe's league schedule for the leagues at least...

Until then, congrats to Boca and their fans that frequent this board. A league title is valuable, my team has 35 of them so i'd know, so you guys enjoy and rage and we'll see each other next season- if my team isn't too busy with the Club World Cup in Dubai. Cheers y abrazos para todos.

Argentine football is so great my friends

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Okay, who are you and what have you done to RiverHipster? :D

15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm here my friend... Believe it or not i'll be getting married, in 13 months.... Yes me, I am getting hitched. I have done so many bad things, sadly I reflected my worst feelings here about Chileans and Bolivians and Bosteros.... So I'll say, Perdon amigos Chilenos y Bolivianos por llamarlos bosteros.... Alexis Sanchez es un crack... Como Radamel Falcao....

Es un hincha de River mas. Falcao admitted the other day that he is a river fan over millonarious... I wasn't surerised, I know what River means to him.... He is a die hard fan, and his wife is as well- she is from the north east of Argentina! Que lindo que es ser de River! Seamus todos!

"compila el sueño del club de cual soy hincha"

And also I'm sorry to the other neutrals...

SupaMario repped this.
  16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Btw, I am one of those who knows only how much movement is good?

I mean his criticism of Dani Alves was so out of line... I hate Juve, but lets be honest, Dani Alves won that Semi-Final... Higuain just tapped in his crosses.... And in the second leg, Dani's GOLAZO, was out of this world. So, was Diego Maradona jealous? The man disgusts me.... I wish him the best, but when a player like Alves makes legitimate claims, its better to just accept them rather than embarrass ones rival just for the sake of it. For me, Dani Alves is the best right back in history without a doubt.

There is no one like Dani Alves- 3 Champions Leagues, 3 runners up, many more la liga titles... the man was a phenom...

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congratulations on your engament. I've had four close friends within the last year get married. And every time I go to one of these weddings, I say, it would be nice to find that type of happiness. Then, I go to Vegas, like these past few days, where I turned into Colonel Sanders, being mesmerized by breast and thighs, which are everywhere, I say... nah..., I enjoy life as is...:D.

Maybe your wedding cake will look something similar to this
    [​IMG]

And you can wear a River shirt under your jacket like Maravilla, keeping it really classy.

[​IMG]

cigar_city and RiverGaucho repped this.
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1568 RiverGaucho, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    You are the man Mario- i wish I knew where you lived so we could party. As for the cake... well My Mom and Mrs. Curtoni have taken control- especially my Mom- so forget about the cake.... And as for wearing the River shirt below the jacket Maryville style... I also don't think I'll be able to do it. If it were this weekend, sure, but I can't pull that off over a year in. I may trie and have a River shirt under the tux... And i'll post some picks on here

Half my post got cut... but w/e... I'll still contribute to these boards when i can, which will be more often than not- I am not gonna play anymore at River, but I will always be a River player. I will always be the man who most love this club. That is what I most cherish, plush my run-ins with Trezeguet, Enzo, D'Alessandro, in a rugby store of all places... We should get a group for future matches

SupaMario repped this.
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Btw, just so its clear, I never played with any of those guys- I did play for River at the under 9 level, then ended up giving up... As I should have. A few coaches kept me around because I tried so hard, but I just wasn't good enough.... I wasn't good enough at Rugby either, but thats why we play the game, no?

SupaMario repped this.
  20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @RiverGaucho and congrats to you as well on your personal news! :thumbsup:

Seconding all your hopes for the league. Also kind of wish River was still stressing us out until the last week. Would've made winning it sweeter. :p

21. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Thanks for the backhanded shoutout! Even though I can't be on here much anymore, I'm Boca all the way. Nothing plastic about me.
    Congrats on your engagement. I hope marriage brings you as much happiness as it has brought me in my nearly 8 years.

Moishe repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another Primera season draws near, another "hoy por hoy el torneo no arranca" warning from agremiados :rolleyes:

Como te amo mi futbol argentino querido, pero nunca cambias

Burr repped this.
  23. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    What a total fracaso.

Anyone know what will happen to those squads (clearing throat and whispering "Newell's... ) who fail to pay off their/its outstanding debt to its players? Or is that for Superliga and not the upcoming torneo with the 4,691 teams?

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Y un dia volvió Chacarita...

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Señoras y señores.... vuelve el quilombo!

Burr and RiverGaucho repped this.