Premiership Manager of the Year

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, May 8, 2005.

1. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    The David Moyes thing must be to make us laugh pleaseeeeeeee....

2. s3rg10

s3rg10 New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    London
    Jose Mourinho by far first ever manager to win the prem on his first season and first ever manager to win two different countrys leagues simatuneuosly(???) but why!!!??!! id David Moyes first after a big fat 7 - 0 lose :eek: lol :p how can you even think of voting for him

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    look, it's not that tough. the very premise of a 'manager of the year' award is to determine who did the best job relative to his resources. were this not the case, then you'd just have to give it to the manager of the championship team, and be done with it.

it is not a knock against mourinho - who is clearly very good, and obviously did a great job - to imply that someone else may have done more, relative to the hand they've been dealt.

mel mentions that nobody said "oh, but look how much sir alex spent" in analyzing his performances. well, i'm not sure that's true. but i'm damn sure he didn't take his club a full half-billion pounds into the red to do them. mourinho's boss damn well 100% expected him to win the title with what he was given.

now, i know it's not as simple as throwing cash at it, and i thought ranieri's situation last year was thankless. but you simply cannot say that mourinho exceded expectations, because abramovich made damn sure that absolutely no hurdles could stand between 1st place and mourinho's considerable abilities. so if one wishes to suggest that the qualities of man u and arsenal were more difficult to overcome with a half-billion pounds, than to overcome the likes of liverpool, bolton, boro, spurs, et.al., without your two best players and no cash, that's fine. vote for mourinho. i'll not argue too strenuously.

but don't act mystified when others, quite rationally, think that finishing a dozen or more places higher than one could reasonably (with pessimism) expect, is more impressive than finishing two places above the absolute worst imaginable scenario for chelsea fans.

4. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Bollox. Jose is the boy for me cupcake.

Ps. Haway the toon.

5. fireballil

fireballil Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Litchfield,Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS

7. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

8. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    My sister could have won the league coaching that team and she doesn't even know who Chelsea is!

Besides... Mourinho just gave away his coaching secrets to everyone on TV.. I just saw it!!

"You've got to block and goalkeeper and you've got to believe you can score." :eek:

9. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right. Simple as hell for Americans. Ball. Kick. Score one more than you Vindaloo. Classic. Only Brits will get that joke.

Ps. Come on England and haway the toon.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Any American who gets Fox Soccer Channel will get my joke.. ;)

11. Mancityfan81

Mancityfan81 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    New York
    Only Big Sam good make El Hadji Diouf a good striker, and therefore should be manager of the year just for that.

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You must be having a Girraffe sunshine.

Ps. Haway the toon.

13. winerunr

winerunr New Member

May 15, 2005
    How about a vote for Bryan Robson. Rescuing a sinking ship at Christmas and never allowing them pack it all in when it would be so easy to do so. Its easy to vote for Jose or David or Big Sam. I`m tossing a bone to the little guy at the bottom ( no longer ) of the table this time.

14. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He is a Manc Bastard, you can not give it to a stupid Manc Bastard.

Ps. My vote goes to Wan. Not really, Jose. Only Brits will get that Wan joke. Chris Moyels on Radio 1. Roy Walker bollox. Car park catchphrase. Classic.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, I think Robson's a better manager than he gets credit for. Granted some of WBA staying up is due to inheriting about as good of a squad as one can expect for a newly promoted club. Plus, with Chelsea settin' a record for points, 34 points to stay up surely is a record in itself.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, I think Robson's a better manager than he gets credit for. Granted some of WBA staying up is due to inheriting about as good of a squad as one can expect for a newly promoted club. Plus, with Chelsea settin' a record for points, 34 points to stay up surely is a record in itself.

17. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    I voted for Moyes cuz he did it without the money but yes, Jose deserves some praise, too. Big Sam has done a pretty good job but loses some points with me for having that pig Diouf... Bryan Robson has really done a great job at WBA, not just cuz they stayed up (techinically the had the easiest game yesterday out of those 4 teams, IMO) but because he improved the way they play and the team morale. That's the measure of a great manager to me cuz that's something that isn't affected by $$$.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree. I voted in this poll about a week ago and didn't hesitate to vote for Moyes. The fact that Bryan Robson somehow got West Brom to stay up is an absolute miracle. Well perhaps miracle is the wrong word. The coaching staff and the players have done the business, and I'm shocked. I would have bet my house against them.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that a bunch of people voted for Mourinho as Manager of the Year, but please...that's like saying Abramovitch is Owner of the Year.

20. Jimellow

Jimellow Member

May 15, 2005
    Ben Giveth & Benteke
    Cute, I saw this commercial a few times today.

Was pretty cool, as previously I had only seen American celebrities featured.

Well done with the reference though. It's funny because that commercial came to mind when I read the posts about Mourinho. :)

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How the ********ing hell do you work that one out sunshine.

Ps. Road. Amarillo. Marie. Wait. Stay. Sit. Bark like a Dog. Good stupid Girl.

22. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be Robbo at West Brom... best relagation save that I have ever seen...

23. zechman

zechman New Member

May 17, 2005
    robson mgr of the year

how about robson for mgr of the year. did anyone else pick west brom to finish outside the relegation zone?

24. ChampionFan

ChampionFan New Member

May 5, 2005
    They are relegation bait AGAIN !

Check the stats, they amassed 21 points from 19 games in the second half of the season, that's only a couple of points better than the 3 relegated teams.

Hardly "manager of year" form, is it?

Watch them spiral into mediocrity again next season..

25. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Everton are sh!t and that's me being nice. What do i know? Only everything. Have it.

Ps. I'm on the road to Amarillo.