Premier League: West Bromwich Albion v ARSENAL - Sat 18th Mar

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by voltman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It does if it wasn't Wenger who made that decision.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who, exactly, would be able to make purchases that early in the window and override Wenger? It's inconsistent with what we know about how the club is run.

Also, the idea that Cazorla would be healthy if he hadn't played that one game doesn't hold up. I think he doesn't play again for Arsenal.

3. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Blood 33 over Fam 16

thebigman repped this.
  4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Funny how I felt we had too many CMs at the start of the season but now Ox is playing at CM.

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most likely outcome is that competing planes get hired for next week, then in a WWI-like escalation it turns into Piper Cubs dogfighting above London.

Quentin repped this.
  6. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the house of cards began to fall when Cesc left. The "youth squad" kept us alive for a few years when Ramsey had one or two spectacular seasons. RVP carried us for a year or two. Then we recruited Ozil which was a "holy shit" "were still a big club" since we recruited a "world class" player. Well that didn't quite work out. Now we seem to be nowhere. Mediocre players with no belief in the Manager or the team. Making Champions League kept it all from completely melting down for several years but now thats seriously in doubt. We are an airplane thats in a flat spin and running out of altitude. Its all depressing to witness.

7. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think it was when Vieira left. When he went I think it made an impression in the minds of the other veterans. It was only after Vieira left that the criticisms of Arsenal's competitiveness (as an organization) started.

Fifty and Furnaccio repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree that vieira leaving was the catalyst. To a further degree, things went further south when Gilberto Silva left. His playing time decreased at the time we were putting more stock in flamini.

Unfortunately we lost both players and had to rely on midfielders like denilson and Alex song- song I liked but was criticized by many. Eventually he left and we never had that real DM that would protect other players and/or anchor the midfield.

On a side note, I'd be curious to know how we became such a brittle team with players who can barley handle 30-35 games as opposed to 40-50 which is a common trend among teams that win titles

10. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well add another one to the list of shocking performances. It's clear that none of these players gives a damn about Arsenal or Wenger. They are barely going through the motions. There is no passion or fight, just walking around the pitch hoping that someone else will do the work.

It has become so painful to watch this team. I watch every minute of every game. Serious changes are needed to make this team enjoyable to support. I doubt that even Tony Pulis or Sam Alardyce would want to come to Arsenal. :(

11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    They'd bite your hand off.

12. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Lets not get carried away theyd crawl to the Emirates

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    843392272322478080 is not a valid tweet id

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And yet Cesc could have been re-signed on the cheap.

Now he will play a key role in 2 chelsea title runs.

Wenger knows.

15. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone on this board want Cesc for non depth or non sentimental reasons? Isn't Cesc the Spanish Ozil?

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wanted him.

First, when he left Arse, he was one of the most dangerous AMs in the league - he could really hurt teams from the D. And we have seen his goal contribution (especially in assists) in the first Chelsea title run. And if he is good enough to play so many games for Barca, surely he is good enough for Arsenal.

I am cynical about the reasons not to resign him

Arsenal had an interest in the resale IIRC which created a perverse incentive.

So effectively they cashed in on not re-signing him

yossarian repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fabregas is a role player on this Chelsea side and not a key player. Do not exaggerate.

Fabregas on this side means we still end up where we are now.

18. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    fabregas was pretty terrible for barca overall.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Somehow the funniest part of this pic is the bubble: This is David Ospina. I don't know why I find this so funny, but it is...

Sarcasm Bot and IAH-Gooner repped this.
  20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, yes you have @Rewinder. But now you're being unreasonable. Is there any coach who so clearly has been outclassed, yet asked to stick around to somehow preserve his preserve the remnants of the team? And boss/leader in the business world (let's not limit this just to sports)?

I think giving the new guy the chance to start at the beginning and rebuild the team the way he wants is the fairest option. Wenger continuing to stay is the cowardly thing.

21. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I got a little carried away with that comment. It's just so frustrating watching this team right now.

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    This isn't about any particular player leaving, it's just simply the grandfather paradox. Your grandfather gets away with all kinds of shit--getting drunk, being racist, being mean, being sexist etc bc he's old and done so much for those in any position to reign him in.

Fergie was one possible exception, but for every fergie there is a Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, or Bobby knight. No one dares call them out all their shortcomings until it's so fcuking obvious that no one can take it anymore.

This is the first season in forever that we started (nearly) with a squad most didn't have too much to complain about. Yet this is poised to be our worst in quite some while. I love wenger, but he's honestly been shit for a while now. He's spent 2-4th level money the last decade and finished 2-4th. Not impressive imho, especiallly since he started with a valuable squad.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He's had his problems but he nevertheless came to Chelsea and racked up 3 goals and 18 assists - most of it in a 6mth period which was instrumental to them winning a title.

No one at Arsenal had remotely that level of performance.

This season he provides a decent alternative for his manager and has delivered.

He'd certainly be better for Arsenal than permacrock Santi or Ox :ROFLMAO:

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's hardly fair.

He certainly did not become the new Xavi if we want to judge him by absolutely elite standards.

But when you look at the number of appearances he did play a significant role.

When you look at his Arsenal peak - he was incredibly dangerous hurting teams around the D (something Arsenal completely lack right now). And he was superb in a 3 man midfield.

He did not really fit at a Barca that has iniesta nor is he really a deeper CM in my opinion.

But nevertheless he can do a lot of things that Arsenal could currently use - especially with Santi crocked.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So reading Arsenal Twitter (the horror!)

1. There seems to be no support anywhere for the manager

2. General view is the players have given up

3. Key people at the club would like Wenger out but he is too powerful so long as he has Stan's vote.

I agree with the likes of Le Grove. Wenger is too shameless to quit. He'll probably reup.