Premier League Pass on NBC Sports Gold

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by unclesox, Dec 28, 2017.

?

Have you bought the Premier League Pass on NBC Sports Gold?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. EPL is very much my favorite league and I bought PLP.

17.4%
  2. EPL is very much my favorite league but I have not bought PLP.

43.5%
  3. EPL is one of my favorite leagues and I bought PLP.

4.3%
  4. EPL is one of my favorite leagues but I have not bought PLP.

34.8%
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 unclesox, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    https://www.nbcsports.com/gold

Just a simple poll wondering how many (roughly) Big Soccer members use the service.
    Looking specifically for fans of the Premier League to participate in the voting.
    Votes are made public and the poll will close around late-April.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @unclesox for making this poll. Having prompted this thread perhaps, I just cast a quick vote. :)

But what's notable in my case is that for the first 5 months of this service I avoided it, partly on principle (not wanting to feed the greedy monster). But a few days ago I got a Roku for Christmas, and I decided to take whirl. I ponied up $40 for the remaining 5 months of the season.

And I'd say my quick initial exploration of the non-live content and NBC's user interface was a bit underwhelming. My opinion may change if my team slips further down the table and the only way to watch them consistently is via NBC Gold. :(

unclesox repped this.
  3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I follow the premier league as my number 1 euro league. I don't have a favorite team and generally just watch the most compelling, to me, match in every timeslot. Fortunately, NBC almost always puts the best match on, so no need to purchase gold for me.
    I'm guessing supporters of mid table teams, who typically get relegated to online only, are more likely to buy.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So far I've resisted, even though I follow Everton and they've slipped down the table, so this would benefit me. (Though, they started *so* badly, I didn't always feel bad about missing them!)

Though I wonder--those with a roku, how is the quality?

The pre Gold pass NBC extra was bit spotty for me even on a roku. So that's another reason to be hesitant about paying.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got a Roku and haven't really used it really. Except I did test streaming one replay show/match from NBC Gold. What I found was that it starts off for the firs 15-30 seconds with poor resolution but then (after it buffers presumably) the visual quality was OK.

But that's only 1 test, and NOT a LIVE stream, which would presumably put a greater strain on their servers to pump out quality to a large number of simultaneous customers.

I'd love to hear from folks that have streamed LIVE matches from one of the clubs that has a big following in the USA: United & Liverpool being perhaps at the top of that list?

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea have been on this now 4 times since October and will be again this weekend. Initially NBC said that no team would have more than 3 or 4 matches on Gold. Clearly the defending champions getting kicked to the curb for the likes of every single Yanited match has been frustrating.

My wife and I are cutting cable here soon and I'll lose my access to beIN which I'm pretty bummed about. We'll likely go with Hulu Live and I'll still get NBCSN and Fox Sports so at least I can watch the Bundesliga.

On merit I won't pay for Gold, but if we're going to continue to keep getting screwed by NBC, I may have no choice.

7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I watched an NHL game yesterday for 10 minutes and ran into the initial 15 seconds of non high def resolution and then it buffered and all was fine.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me a cynic, but I do believe that's their business plan.

Aaron d and Blueallthru repped this.
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I imagine you're right.

10. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I think the NBC said that every team would be on Gold at least 3 times with no upper limit.

daniloni repped this.
  11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #11 unclesox, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    A Super Mod was able to delete the unnecessary fifth option. It was felt that the "I don't follow much EPL..." option would skew the percentage poll numbers.

12. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an Arsenal fan and I have not bought PLP.

I have been watching those games later in the day when they are available on reddit. It has been quite frustrating. Since the season is half over, I will just continue what I’ve been doing. Next season I will probably just fork over the money so I don’t have the hassle of streaming any matches

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 NorthBank, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    This polls been up for 4 days and there's an extremely small sample size (20 votes) but so far it shows only 20% has bought into PLP on Gold.

Also, my second try at using this new streaming platform was far from stellar. I tried to stream a 3 minute feature clip Wenger breaking the 810 games managed record. I tried it on 3 devices, all in the same room in my house: Roku, iPhone, Windows Laptop. All with excellent WiFi connex.

On my brand new Roku Ultra (NBC Gold app), it failed every 15-20 seconds. The video stops/crashes back to the menu, or skips ahead to the next clip in the queue, but before it finished the clip I was watching. It was the worst!

On my iPhone SE (NBC gold app), it was slightly better, going about 1 minute or so before it crashed saying "Playback is restricted. Please contact customer support". And I made sure I was logged in beforehand! I did note along the way that this app/service gets a 1-star rating in the App Store.

Only on my Laptop (NBCSports.com website) did it play smoothly the first time all the way through the 3-minute clip.

I wonder what frustrations I'm likely to face when I try to stream a LIVE match, that is widely watched at the time. And I wonder if their streaming platform is really ready for prime-time.

Meanwhile, my results with WatchESPN have been largely excellent, with only one notable choppy stream experience on a live match.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm going to cut the cord and I'll lose beIN which I'm bummed about. I'll do Hulu which will get me the PL and the Bundesliga.

I've thought about sling, but I know the quality is down a bit.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Hulu get you the EPL? Does it give you their main TV Channels: NBC, NBCSN, CNBC? This is an honest question... I've never checked out Hulu.

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hulu gets me NBCSN, CNBC, and NBC and FS1, FS2, and Fox. So that covers everything really minus beIN but I'll get that through Sling if I want.

You have to get Hulu Plus to get the live TV. It costs $40 a month.

NorthBank repped this.