Premier League/Football League 2018-19 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 7, 2018.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry - I did a poor job of explaining the situation. For those not viewing the video, here's the sequence.
    1. Mata plays a pass through to Fred, who is in an offside position.
    2. Just after Mata passes the ball, he's fouled in the area (again, I did think it was a foul, but apparently Atwell didn't think so or he was more focused on the subsequent pass to Fred).
    3. Fred scores, but the flag is up for offside.
    4. Atwell first converses with the AR while his hand is to his ear, indicating he is consulting with VAR (Jon Moss).
    5. Following the consultation, Atwell points to the spot.
    I would agree with @MassachusettsRef that while the idea of limited on-field review may be an OK idea in theory, it's not a good idea in practice to be so different in protocol with the rest of FIFA. In my opinion, this is a good case of where VAR would indicate something requires an on-field review and then the referee can look for himself. As I've said, the call on the field should have stood regardless of what it was. I personally thought it was a penalty, but I didn't think there was a clear and obvious error that Atwell missed a penalty.

2. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They were just discussing this around the 85th minute, commenting on the protocol, etc, and suggesting that there was information that Atwell saw the potential penalty offence, and that was part of the discussion with VAR as to how it should be dealt with.

That sounds much like what the Germans implemented last year -- for the most part it worked pretty well, and was much more like the rugby implementation. Just without the audible discussion.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aussies started out like this and went away from it, from my understanding.

A problem here, beside fan confusion, is that there simply are some differences of opinion which can lead to in-game inconsistency. Theoretically, every referee in the EPL should be calling all penalties the same, sure. But it’s just not reality. We had a few situations this past year in MLS where referees looked at OFR’s and essentially said “are you kidding? I’m not giving that...”. The OFR at least gives the referee the chance to veto the advice and maintain his own consistency for the match. He also gets to see what he’s giving (or not giving) so can feel more in control of the overall match management. Howard Webb has specifically cited this as a feature, rather than a bug, that ensures the VAR system gives referees more confidence rather than instills doubts and second-guessing.

I just can’t see the English plan being good for a referee’s psyche. Atwell has to go the rest of the match “knowing” he missed a clear penalty but without seeing it until he’s in the locker room? Again, bad idea.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Perhaps Attwell saw the contact as worthy of a foul, but thought the OS was first so there was no call to make? Wouldn’t that explain both him not calling it initially and him not looking at the monitor?

IASocFan repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I originally thought but watching that clip does not give the impression he even considered a foul. Plus additional reading suggests the other procedure.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://streamja.com/v0Zk

Here's another example. Atkinson plays advantage and eventually gives a yellow. VAR recommends a red for SFP and it's given without an OFR.

This is pretty crazy from the FA.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s insane!

It’s the right call in this case but Atkinson NEEDS to see what he’s giving so he can calibrate his game management for the next 45 minutes and also be fully confident in the decision. What if he finds out he disagrees with the recommendation at halftime?!

And again, it’s going to irritate and confuse fans of the game globally when you have two entirely different systems.

Also the management of dissent is tougher. With an OFR, you see it again and can tell the players “guys, I just looked, it’s 100%.” In this scenario what is Atkinson supposed to say? “My hands are tied. I agreed with you so don’t yell at me?”

This is a bad, bad, bad idea.

SCV-Ref repped this.
  8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At what point does it become an absolute joke that this pk isn't retaken?

[​IMG]

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm pretty confident that no way that is given in MLS that early in the match via VAR. I'm pretty sure that PRO would say it's not a red card "because no one was asking for it or expecting a red card there" Also, if given via VAR in MLS, I'm pretty sure it gets overturned by the review panel.

It really will be fascinating to watch what the EPL does with SFP via VAR next season.

The EPL is played at such a fast pace that you get so many rough challenges. If VAR is used the way it SHOULD be you should have more games ending 10 vs. 11 or 9 vs. 10. Will fans and players be happy with that? The English more than any other soccer culture have this obsession with referees keeping it 11 vs. 11.

PRO decided to be really harsh and almost black and white on SFP and VC and then were not comfortable with so many games finishing 9 vs. 10 or one being 9 vs. 11 that they kind of pulled the reigns back on red cards for SFP and VC.

Towards the end of the season VAR was practically used for just offside and the occasionally penalty decision.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was Atkinson’s restart?

It looks from the truncated clips that he’s calling a DFK. But that’s wrong. He applied advantage. The proper restart was still a throw-in. Unless England is just making that part up, too.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure it gets overturned, but otherwise agree.

I can’t imagine there won’t be some sort of backlash from the referees. If guys like Oliver and Atkinson and Taylor say “this is dumb, we need to do this like UEFA (will) and FIFA is,” that hopefully counts for something. Maybe this gets fixed before next year.

12. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I thought politics was a no no! :notworthy:

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More VAR controversy in Fulham-Oldham. The penalty was eventually saved, keeping the game at 1-1, but it sure didn't seem like the Oldham defender made any contact with the Fulham attacker. Taylor went to VAR (Friend was the VAR), which didn't overrule the penalty call.

I again fail to see why England doesn't want its referees to do on field reviews for calls like this. It's the 82nd minute of a 1-1 game where a League Two side has a chance to force a replay or even upset a Premier League team. Why wouldn't the referee want to review this play himself?

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m at a loss. At least Taylor gave the caution appropriately for dissent but, c’mon, how is this not clearly wrong?

https://streamable.com/zjwfn

There are major issues here in England and the FA better get it straightened out. Probert thinks there’s enough to justify a foul call? In the strictest sense that there was the most minor bit of contact, maybe. But that’s not a real foul. That’s not a penalty. VAR was introduced to overturn these types of calls.

RefIADad repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either I didn't hear things well, or the announcer on Fulham/Oldham was wrong. He said Kevin Friend was the VAR for the game and not Lee Probert.

I completely agree with you. This is the type of play that VAR is supposed to fix. It was a dive. The slightest bit of contact in the toe, but the Fulham guy goes down grabbing his shin. That sure looked like a clear and obvious error to me.

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    EFL Cup semifinals first leg

Tottenham - Chelsea: OLIVER
    Man City - Burton: DEAN

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assignments above said Probert and this announcer said Probert, but who knows? Very difficult to verify!

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic delayed offside flag leading to a Spurs PK.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced the offside should have been overturned.

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the shot used.

[​IMG]

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm closer to convinced

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t it possible (and maybe even likely) that the attacker’s knee is in a more advance position than the defender’s heel? I feel like this would look different if we were looking at it perpendicularly.

What type of technology are they using?

I mean, this seems too close to call either way. In which case, call stands (offside). But if the FA has the technology to say make an accurate distinction here, so be it.

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is unfortunately not the correct frame as the ball is already coming off the attacker's foot, but it should demonstrate at the very least how close this decision must have been. Line is unofficial, regardless. IMG_20190108_211928.jpeg

24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Saturday 12 January
    12:30 West Ham United v Arsenal
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistants: Marc Perry, Andy Halliday
    Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

Brighton v Liverpool
    Referee: Kevin Friend
    Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
    Fourth official: Roger East

Burnley v Fulham
    Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Harry Lennard
    Fourth official: Anthony Taylor

Cardiff v Huddersfield Town
    Referee: Lee Mason
    Assistants: Stuart Burt, Matthew Wilkes
    Fourth official: Andre Marriner

Crystal Palace v Watford
    Referee: Paul Tierney
    Assistants: Ian Hussin, Simon Beck
    Fourth official: Simon Hooper

Leicester v Southampton
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistants: Simon Bennett, Mick McDonough
    Fourth official: David Coote

17:30 Chelsea v Newcastle United
    Referee: Chris Kavanagh
    Assistants: Daniel Cook, Sian Massey-Ellis
    Fourth official: Craig Pawson

Sunday 13 January
    14:15 Everton v AFC Bournemouth
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
    Fourth official: Martin Atkinson

16:30 Tottenham Hotspur v Man Utd
    Referee: Mike Dean
    Assistants: Darren Cann, Dan Robathan

Monday 14 January
    20:00 Man City v Wolves
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: Lee Betts, Eddie Smart
    Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

Dean back in the limelight, Moss for the London derby. Friend in action at Brighton as Liverpool looks to stop the rot.

25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Saturday 19 January
    12:30 Wolves v Leicester
    Referee: Chris Kavanagh
    Assistants: Daniel Cook, Sian Massey-Ellis
    Fourth official: Roger East

AFC Bournemouth v West Ham
    Referee: Simon Hooper
    Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Derek Eaton
    Fourth official: Kevin Friend

Liverpool v Crystal Palace
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistants: Marc Perry, Andy Halliday

Man Utd v Brighton
    Referee: Paul Tierney
    Assistants: Simon Beck, Mick McDonough
    Fourth official: Lee Mason

Newcastle v Cardiff
    Referee: Stuart Attwell
    Assistants: Stephen Child, Neil Davies
    Fourth official: Martin Atkinson

Southampton v Everton
    Referee: Graham Scott
    Assistants: Harry Lennard, Andy Garratt
    Fourth official: Lee Probert

Watford v Burnley
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
    Fourth official: Tim Robinson

17:30 Arsenal v Chelsea
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
    Fourth official: Craig Pawson

Sunday 20 January
    13:30 Huddersfield v Man City
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
    Fourth official: Paul Tierney

16:00 Fulham v Spurs
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: Ian Hussin, Eddie Smart
    Fourth official: Lee Probert

Taylor for the big London derby, Pawson with the other London derby. Moss and Marriner in charge of title contenders. Dean gets a break.