Premier League 17-18 (R) assignments and discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by frankieboylampard, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The tackle checks ALL the boxes for SFP and a red card. Lunge, excessive force, endangers safety of opponent. This was a very easy red card to give, nobody would have any realistic complaints. Very disappointing at this level.

PH

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    A relegation battle? What? (Checks table....oh, right.)

BTW, I will be in attendance for Chelsea v. Swansea on Wednesday and then going up to Goodison on Saturday Dec 2 for Everton v. Huddersfield.

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Lucky guy! Enjoy the trip!

PH

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I envy. Enjoy your time!

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Seems like this article, from a retired EPL and FIFA referee, agrees with those on here, me included, who think this should be a red card and also that he should have given the PK.

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2017...ompany-very-lucky-in-mark-halseys-ref-review/

PH

6. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I respect Halseys opinion and I'm not really disagreeing much with the notion that it should have been a red. I'm just not the least bit surprised that it only got a caution. Had it happened in an CL/EL match then I would have expected a red but as I said, not in England.
    Might add that apart from that piece by Halsey I haven't seen much complaints at all about that decision. Might have got lost due to a few other more controversial decisions but still.

7. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So that's the first PL suspension for diving done then, Niasse of Everton gets 2 games off.

BBC story -> http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42113397

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealous!! :mad: But glad you're getting to go to 2 matches:thumbsup:

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atkinson has done well tonight. I wished he would have booked Ayew for his dive, but at least he didn't give the PK.

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    True scandal today in Man U v Brighton. AR 1has a checkered orange/yellow flag and AR2 has a solid yellow. Has made the game unwatchable.

roby and Rufusabc repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s true for, uh, every game in the EPL.

refinDC and me116 repped this.
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    EPL games unwatchable? Depends who is playing!

PH

13. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was watching the US coverage of the Liverpool v. Chelsea match. After the match they interviewed the two anchors who were in Manhattan, NY with supporters. After they interviewed the first 2 anchors, they interviewed Mark Clattenburg, they asked him a question about what he thought about the US atmosphere with the supporters. Then they asked him if he will be back officiating in the Premier league his answer "Never say never!" with a smile.

14. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    More to the point is why was he in New York anyway?
    They should have asked him if he was going to referee in MLS, which seems more likely.

PH

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 MassachusettsRef, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    My thoughts (almost) exactly. I presume there could be a job offer with PRO, which may or may not involve on-field officiating. We shall see.

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I would bet it would be for on-field work. He was a PGMOL colleague of both Walton and Webb. If so it would be interesting to see what the PSRA does.

PH

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I was thinking he was in New York for the broadcast but considered he was feeling some options out.

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    He'll be refereeing no doubt in my mind if he is exploring working for PRO.

19. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    did anyone see, or have a link to the swansea bournemouth game.
    attwell separated 2 players, and the swansea player pushed the referee as he was trying to get to the bournemouth player. attwell was in between both players.
    he only gave the swansea guy a yellow, would anyone have gone red here?

20. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This?

https://streamable.com/vjyxx

Attwell was dumb to get in between the players like that, but no matter what, it doesn't absolve the behaviour of the player.

21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I suppose he also could have been looking at a job with NBCSN as their referee expert, just as Fox Sports has Dr Joe. Except Clattenburg has actually refereed real professional soccer at the highest level.

PH

Rufusabc and frankieboylampard repped this.
  22. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's what I was thinking too. However, I don't recall him showing up until the end of the match. Just odd to have him there.

23. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Before the match there was some sort of studio 2v2 'scrimmage', with Clattenburg as the 'ref'. He may have even shown a card during it, I may caught the last part of it.

24. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Well, we have the answer. Clattenburg was the in-studio expert to explain some decisions on today's show. Also it was mentioned that he would re-appear from time to time during the rest of the season. Probably not too bad of a gig coupled with the big bucks from his job in Saudi Arabia.
    Who needs the World Cup anyway:rolleyes:.

PH

25. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I watched the segment after the City/Huddersfield match. It was a very good segment and I hope NBC makes it happen more often. He did not shy away from any tough and some inappropriate questions (I thought the one about who was the worst manager he faced was, in relation to hardest to control. Thought he would not name names, but he named names). He also talked about playing silent advantage in the "box", but I think he sort of slipped up when they asked him about simulation and then asked him if he had ever given a PK to a player that was fouled in the area but DIDN'T go down. He said he doesn't think he ever had. So kind of leans towards, if your contacted at all, just go down and hope for the call.