Premier League 17-18 (R) assignments and discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by frankieboylampard, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really shouldn't be a major concern or a concern at all. He's maybe 35-38 yards out. Think about how fast professional attackers can cover that ground. Now add in the fact that the two closest defenders (including the one who committed the foul) are flat-footed at the moment of dispossession while the attacker is moving directly toward goal already.

This is an easy red. It's a cynical short-grab to yank a guy down on a breakaway. Everyone expects red. Don't over-complicate things.

Thezzaruz and Barciur repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Agree. The whole point of DOGSO was to eliminate (or at least reduce) cynical fouls. No way should a cynical foul be given any benefit of the doubt in applying the Ds.

IASocFan repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even as an Arse supporter, I don't have much problem with this being a red. Just wish we would've gotten a similar ruling when Rio knocked down Freddy in the match that ended the unbeaten streak. ;)

Thezzaruz repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    OK I haven't had anything to eat so this is probably a dumber question than usual — but why is this even a foul going in? Defender gets the ball cleanly and doesn't really move after that. Attacker gets the ball back, yes, but basically runs over the defender.

I know I often have it backwards, but in my game I think I'm at least as likely to call the foul coming out. What am I missing?

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't comment on whether or not you should go eat something, but...

The red defender tries to clear the ball. The blue attacker blocks the clear and directs the ball toward the goal he is attacking. Blue attacker then starts to run by the red defender, who grabs him by the shorts and pulls him to ground.

Being honest, I genuinely don't understand what you're saying in your post. There's nothing close to a foul on the attacker.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I must be looking at the wrong clip ...

Never mind. Off to lunch.

And yes that's an easy red in my game.

7. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    If you are so inclined, the count of the six seconds doesnt traditionally start until the ‘keeper is back on his feet and moving to punt. Not sure if that would be 10or more seconds in this case. But, as you mention, no one on Swansea complained because they all have releagtion release clauses in their contracts. :):):)

8. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Chelsea was charged today for failing to control their players after Lee Mason blew for half time shortly after awarding a corner kick for Chelsea, prior to the kick being taken. Quite a few of them ran up towards Mason to express their displeasure as he was walking off the pitch.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...t-halftime-against-huddersfield-36894801.html

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yes but . . . the GK is allowed a reasonable time to stand up before the count starts, not as long as he wants--he'd better be injured if he wants to take 10 seconds. Eighteen seems quite long to permit to me, but 12-13 (including getting up) is never going to be called. Does anyone know if the ref or AR told him to get going.

(I can still only think of one example of this being called in a professional game.)

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even saying it should be called. I was just expressing that I find it interesting that it's such an accepted part of the game. Here's one of the only times I've seen it called in a higher level game. This was an NCAA quarterfinal last fall. It was an easy call to make in a 3-0 game with 10 minutes left. It would have been lunacy for Oliver to call it in the final seconds of a 1-0 Premier League relegation playoff (effectively).

Call happens at 39:23 in the video (or about 10:15 on the game clock).

11. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    USA vs Canada 2012 Women's Olympic semifinal?

wguynes and frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    + rep for this mention. This was handled excellently too.

13. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sunday 13 May
    Burnley v AFC Bournemouth
    Referee: Paul Tierney
    Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Derek Eaton
    Fourth official: Roger East

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich Albion
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistants: Simon Bennett, Scott Ledger
    Fourth official: Lee Probert

Huddersfield Town v Arsenal
    Referee: Michael Oliver (pictured)
    Assistants: Lee Betts, Ian Hussin
    Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion
    Referee: Kevin Friend
    Assistants: Mark Scholes, Sian Massey-Ellis
    Fourth official: Mike Jones

Manchester United v Watford
    Referee: Lee Mason
    Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Mick McDonough
    Fourth official: Neil Swarbrick

Newcastle United v Chelsea
    Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistants: Stephen Child, Eddie Smart
    Fourth official: Bobby Madley

Southampton v Manchester City
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
    Fourth official: Mike Dean

Swansea City v Stoke City
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
    Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Beck
    Fourth official: David Coote

West Ham United v Everton
    Referee: Graham Scott
    Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Dan Robathan
    Fourth official: Simon Hooper

Appointments for the final fixtures. Coote and Hooper appearing as 4Os.

Mike Jones and Neil Swarbrick announced their retirements as on field referees, making their final appearances as 4Os today. They will continue to work with trialing VAR in England.

14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I thought the 4th official in the Spurs game looked new. I had never seen him before

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankieboylampard repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotion playoffs, Mike Dean apparently getting some criticism for going yellow instead of red at 7:57 in the video here:

Red seems the safer call to me. Unless Dean could say from his angle that he was sure the shot wasn't on frame, it's hard to justify yellow because the available replays sure look like the shot was on target.

17. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Taken from a tweet about the matter, these guys look to be the most likely replacements for Jones and Swarbrick:

Congratulations to PGMOL on inviting Andy Madley, Rob Jones and David Coote to the assessment day for potential promotion to SG1. Tim Robinson and Simon Hooper also invited - surprised at those two but wish them all well.

18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    From the replay, it looks like he's starting to go red (back pocket), but switches up, so maybe one of the ARs or 4O had some information for him (ie, AR2 may have seen that the kick was clearly going wide from his angle further upfield).

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And an interesting VAR question: would VAR be used to decide if the ball was going in the goal? How does clear error fit into that review?

And if you went to VAR, might the handling call be reversed? The angle isn't perfect, but could a hair's breadth of the ball be over the PA line. (I don't think so, but I don't think that video clip is definitive--it's close, and on another play could be so.) So if VAR starts review for whether it should be a send off instead of a caution, can it tell the R that there is a "clear" error because the ball was a smidgen over the PA line and handling should not have been called at all? If so, we have the weird result of taking away a clear scoring opportunity on something being reviewed only for an almost opposite reason And if not, we have the potential for VAR being used on a play, but not reversing an error that can be seen on the replay. Another potential minefield for VAR at the WC.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was possible, but then did a quick video search and it doesn't appear correct. The first four red cards I can find Dean giving in the EPL, he gives with his right hand from the right back pocket. He keeps his yellow in his front left short pocket. So if he was always moving with his left hand, it appears he was just fumbling with the pocket on that side.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DOGSO is reviewable so if the replay could determine that the ball was clearly going into the goal and the defender behind the keeper had no way of playing it, then this could be upgraded to red via VR. I think both of those things are true, but I think it would take a lot of evidence to convince 95% of people that both things are clearly true.

I was about to give a very simple answer, but then I realized this is a brilliant question.

If a review is triggered for a possible red card, then everything is on the table. So in that regard, sure the handling call can be reversed in theory.

But if the VAR saw that the handling clearly occurred inside the penalty area, then there is no red card situation to review. And if the VAR can't tell the CR that there is a possible red card, and there's no possible penalty (since handling in the area by a goalkeeper is legal), then this could not be reviewed and the incorrect DFK would stand.

One way around this situation would be for the VAR to wrongly suggest there was a possible red card, allow the CR to look at the monitor, and then have the CR realize there simply wasn't a foul. This would be consistent with the spirit of VR, trying to get justice on a game-critical incident, but it would be pretty close to a gross violation of the letter of the VAR protocols.

If a red had been given instead of a yellow, then everything is much cleaner because the handling being in the penalty area means the red is inherently wrong and then you can review and reverse everything. So one interesting lesson in situations like this might be for referees to err on the side of a red card, which is fascinating.

After saying all that, just to be clear I think there's absolutely no doubt that, in this situation, the handling was outside the penalty area and a DFK was the proper call.

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Mark Clattenburg interview

What do you think about there being no English ref at the World Cup?

It’s my fault. I was on the programme, then FIFA made the U17 and U20 announcements, then I stopped and they didn’t have time to change it. But what I’ve said before is that English refs can’t be arrogant. There are only nine European refs going to the World Cup. There are two guys that didn’t make it – Jonas Eriksson and Viktor Kassai, who have done World Cups and Euros.

So what right do Michael Oliver or Anthony Taylor have to go? They’re young, they’re the future, but they don’t have the experience of those other two guys. They’ll have more international and Champions League experience soon. And who knows if I’d have made it either? My form might have dipped and I might have got dropped.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...t-be-arrogant-they-have-no-right-be-world-cup

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name “Martin Atkinson” is oddly missing from his answer.

code1390 repped this.
  24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Isn't Atkinson too old to go? He's only been working UEFA matches as AAR recently anyway.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, on paper.

But If Clattenburg had never started the process, I tend to believe England would have had a nominee and Atkinson was the obvious option. I think the 45 year limit would have been relaxed.

Also he moved to the AAR role because of his retirement. If he was an active WC candidate things would have been different.

I could be wrong. But if I’m wrong it just means Oliver would have been the candidate (with a lot less chance of getting there, admittedly).

Regardless, I think the fact that Clattenburg takes a (fair) shot at Oliver and Taylor without expressing any remorse for his ARs is telling.