Premier League 17-18 (R) assignments and discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by frankieboylampard, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The PK inconsistency in.the EPL is ridiculous. The one given by Dean in today's Arsenal-WBA match was a very bad wrong decision as the ball clearly struck the defender's arm from a very short distance. The arm was not in an unnatural position and did not "make him bigger." :(

PH

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy Arsenal didn't win, but other than calling a handball if the ball didn't hit the player's hand, that's one of the worst handball calls. NBCSN asked if players should intentionally kick the ball into defender's hand to get PKs.

3. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Which is funny, because, if I recall correctly, that was happening a lot in the early 90s and resulted in a great deal more emphasis being put on the "deliberate" wording in the law.

Now, how would either of these incidents (Man U on Sat. and Arse on Sun.) have been resovled if the EPL had VAR?

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Unacceptable and baffling are not the same. I agree that it's not OK, but even top level referees are human and have normal human reactions. We need to be aware that we need to be aware of some of these human tendencies so that we can control against them.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Correct. Who said they were? But the displays by Moss have been both.
    (Also, along the same lines, up and down are not the same either.)

Huh? Have you been at the egg nog?:D

I stand by my contention. A full-time Premier League referee should have got past this sort of thing.

PH

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And I stand by the contention that the nature of the failure is not baffling at all. Disappointing, yes. But utterly human, and thereby not surprising from one who is struggling.

7. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If you look at the angle from which Dean saw the play it is more understandable. The arm came up and out as the ball hit it.

I personally don’t think it was handling, but I can see where the call came from.

GlennAA11, tomek75 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    video for those who have not yet seen this challenge which I would consider "assault":

9. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Watching the Everton-Man United game I noticed that Marriner doesn't have a FIFA badge. I was wondering if he had been dropped from the list for 2018, so I looked up the FIFA referees from England on the FIFA site and it turns out he has. Replacing him and Clattenburg on the list are Attwell and Tierney.

10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I agree that it looks a lot worse from his position. That said I think he deserves some stick for his positioning, IMO he was far to central for where the ball/play was.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At 0:29, which was the 19th minute, should Leicester City's Harry Maguire should have gotten a DOGSO-F and penalty kick for what he did to Huddersfield Town's Danny Williams? Even if the first contact was okay for being shoulder-to-shoulder, there was contact on the legs also. Leicester City won 3-0. NBC Sports's description line is ridiculous. They said "the Foxes move a step closer to the PL top six." They trail Tottenham by 7 points, and Tottenham has 2 games in hand.

12. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Amazingly, De Bruyne is starting again today. Really thought that was a season ending tackle.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  13. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    More bad stuff from Bobby Madley in todays Swansea v. Spurs. His AR failed to flag an obvious OS for the first Spurs goal. (Even I would have spotted the OS!). And then he failed to issue a second yellow to Spurs Sanchez in 2nd half for a YC Worthy tackle. That, and same AR ruled a breakaway OS when it wasn’t, and Swansea nearly scored on still another play that was OS.

Pierre Head repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It is amazing this continual level of mistakes in such a high level league. These are not difficult decisions and would result in points deductions since they are decisions referees are expected to get right. It's not just one or two referees doing this, although some are worse than others. It seems to be quite endemic. Reflects quite badly on the instruction and administration program.

PH

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Glad to see that Taylor got his PK decisions correct today in the Arsenal-Chelsea match. He had a pretty good game overall, no CMIs missed IMO.
    It was not unreasonable to give benefit of doubt to Wilshere instead of 2nd YC, although I imagine some Chelsea fans might disagree.

PH

frankieboylampard repped this.
  17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I may slightly disagree. If I am not mistaken wasn't it Taylor who sent off V.Moses for simulation in the FA CUP final between the two teams? the difference between and today would be what the location on the pitch and maybe no contact on the FA Cup as today there was minimal contact.

I agree I think Taylor got all the KMI's correct, however, I think his body language lacked conviction for most of the match. From the free kick that he called for Bakayako to another arsenal free kick he gave early in the match... just oddly late whistles and body language saying he is going to the next phase of play and then coming back for the whistle.

I am also annoyed by how he gives advantage in the middle third or defensive thirds for like trifling or soft fouls. I notice a lot of premier league officials do this so I think this is more of the instruction they're receiving. I think this is more for the optics of the game type thing.

18. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The contact wasn't minimal ffs, it was created by Wilshere but it wasn't minimal.

That's classic Taylor though, he normally looks like that. Though sometimes the pendulum swings the other way and he goes into over-assertive mode instead.

19. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Told you! :D

It is not so bad in these high level matches where possession is critical and can be used to keep an attack going leading to a goal opportunity. But it should not be used in lower level matches where a free kick is usually better, because the risk of loss of possession is higher.

PH

65GT350 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  20. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I had a high school coach tell me that I should never give advantage to his JV girls. He said there was never an advantage to his girls dribbling.

21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He's right, with very few exceptions.

PH

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  23. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the arsenal game today (Taylor) AR2 made an offside error late in the match. A ball was played over the top by arsenal to a forward who was offside. The AR signaled for it basically when the ball went over the forwards head and it was clear he was the one getting to the ball. But he never touched the ball. It went out for a goal kick but the AR had raised his flag so the IFK was awarded. Are we not supposed to signal when they become involved as of the law change?

24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    "They have to serve the game like we have to serve game and try to give positive emotions to people who love football in the stands. That's what they have to do."

I guess we all need to re-read law 5 :)

25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    If the attacker is in an offside position, is clearly going for the ball, and there are no other attackers close, then yes, it's entirely reasonable and correct to blow for offside before it's touched.