Premature predict the 2018 qualifiers

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BardiyaIcelander, Jul 14, 2014.

1. BardiyaIcelander

BardiyaIcelander New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I know this is a very premature thread, since you can't very well predict until knowing the draw, qualification spots, but I'd thought it could be fun to have a pop at it now since I don't know what to do with myself between now and start of European Football. Assuming qualifying spots and interconfederation are the same.

CONCACAF:
    Mexico, United States, Costa Rica, Guatemala

CONMEBOL:
    Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Chile

CAF:
    Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Mali, Morocco

AFC:
    Japan, South Korea, Iraq, Uzbekistan

UEFA:
    Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, England, Serbia, Sweden, Iceland, Ukraine, Turkey, Wales

2. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    I'm confident that the US will qualify. Soccer enthusiasm is growing, and there is a big population to draw players from.

And for the record, the day after the 2014 World Cup ended, the US beat Chile 2-1.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Who knows what the format will be but for CAF I would go:

Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Senegal, Egypt / Cote d'Ivoire

4. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014

The only team I'd call a guarantee for 2018 is Ghana because of its average age. Nigeria could also be one of them.

Teams that will regress in 4 years are Cameroon (by a lot) and the Ivory Coast (not by much). Cameroon's best chance is to take advantage of their talented diaspora and find a coach who can bring the best out of them.

Egypt is in a transition period so I'm not sure how serious they are as contenders. The majority of their starters are still slated to be older than 30. They have a few young talents like Salah and Trezeguet (Mahmoud Hassan).

Tunisia will always be competitive but I'm not sure they have the players this time around.

Morocco is intriguing. 14 coaches in 14 years has held them back. They should be much better but I feel like Morocco's low FIFA ranking, which won't get any better, will relegate them to having tough draws. Since Morocco doesn't have qualifiers for AFCON, they'll free-fall in the FIFA rankings for this year. They could see themselves in the same situation they found themselves in 2014 qualifying - in a group with the Ivory Coast.

Senegal's good and should move up.

Burkina Faso is iffy. They peaked in 2012/3.

Mali and Zambia are also iffy because of their age. I don't know many good young players that play for them.

DR Congo could be a darkhorse.

I'm hoping a Southern or East African team qualifies this time around. Maybe Kenya, Ethiopia, or South Africa and Angola again.

5. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I think that aside from Asia losing a spot or two to UEFA or CONMEBOL this World Cup has proven that things are fine the way they are. There is no reason for CONCACAF to get more spots the good performance has simply justified the spots they have. Look at UEFA they've won all but one World Cup since the 32 team format was introduced but yet they've lost two spots. Anyway here are my picks if everything stays the same which it should.

CONCACAF United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

CONMEBOL Columbia, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina, Brazil

CAF Ghana, Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria, Ivory Coast

AFC Japan, Korea, Australia, Iran

UEFA Germany, France, Belguim, England, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Wales, Croatia, Iceland, Turkey, Scotland.

Hosts Russia

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Years to go, but Salah could be forced into exile due to the 1-year army service he would be required to take. And without him... well...

Mali will be in a post-Seydou Keita era. Not sure if they can perform without him. He's been the player that kept the team together. Zambia is as always the best underrated squad, but they will have to enter a transitional phase soon with the Katongo brothers, Mulenga and Chansa all 30 or older.

They are perennial darkhorses.

7. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concacaf
    USA ,Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica

Asia
    South Korea , Japan , Australia Uzbekistan

Caf
    Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Algeria

Conmebol
    Argentina , Columbia , Brazil , Uruguay, Chile

UEFA
    Germany , Belgium, France, Italy , Netherlands, Spain , Romania, Slovenia, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, Croatia, England

Host
    Russia

Not sure about the play off situation so I put the max number of teams I could for each if someone told me who faces who in playoffs this up coming qualifying I'll adjust

8. South America
    Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador

Europe
    Russia, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Belgium, France, England, Croatia, Turkey, Denmark, Ukraine, Serbia, Poland

North America
    USA, Mexico, Costa Rica

Asia
    Japan, South Korea, Australia, Uzbekistan, Iraq

Africa
    Ghana, Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal, Burkina Faso

9. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #9 ihatewaiting4years, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Ah screw it I'm bored so why not

UEFA-Going back to 2002 (maybe 1998, I'm not sure), there's been on average 4 to 5 new teams from UEFA making it to the World Cup.
    1. Germany
    2. France
    3. Belgium
    4. Spain
    5. Italy
    6. Netherlands
    7. England
    8. Portugal
    9. Russia
    10. Serbia
    11. Turkey
    12. Switzerland
    13. Ukraine
    14. Denmark

CONMEBOL-Usually 1-2 new teams. This time I think it'll be the same group minus Ecuador.
    1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Colombia
    4. Chile
    5. Uruguay

CAF-Since '98 there's an average of 4 new teams. This time I think there will only be 2 new teams. I think Ghana, Nigeria, and Algeria have good young teams that will be good enough to qualify again in 4 years.
    1. Ghana
    2. Nigeria
    3. Algeria
    4. Morocco
    5. Senegal

CONCACAF-Usually 1-2 new teams.
    1. Mexico
    2. United States
    3. Honduras
    4. Costa Rica if they get the playoff against the OFC.

AFC-Usually just 1 new team
    1. Japan
    2. Australia
    3. South Korea
    4. Uzbekistan
    5. Iraq if they get the playoff against the OFC

10. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It usually switches. I think in '06 CONMEBOL faced OFC. Uruguay lost to Australia. CONCACAF faced AFC. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Bahrain.

In 2010 AFC faced OFC. New Zealand defeated Bahrain. CONCACAF faced CONMEBOL. Costa Rica lost Uruguay. For 2014 CONMEBOL faced OFC. Uruguay beat Jordan. CONCACAF faced OFC. Mexico defeated New Zealand.

So going by that pattern, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF will face each other in the playoff. OFC and AFC will play each other. If this is the case then I predict CONMEBOL and AFC will emerge victorious in the playoff battles.

11. MNNumbers

MNNumbers Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Actually the intercontinental playoff was determined by random draw. This was at request of CONCACAF, who is usually 2nd strongest.

12. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it has always been like this or is the random draw something recent?

13. MNNumbers

MNNumbers Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Going by what I have read, this was the first cycle with a random draw for the intercontinental playoff. Previously the matchups were set ahead.

After 2010, CONCACAF asked for more spots. Request was denied. But CONCACAF had faced CONMEBOL in true prior cycle intercontinental playoff. That is pretty much going to be won by CONMEBOL no matter who they play, unless it's UEFA, so CONCACAF was granted the change to a random draw as a consolation to their request for a guaranteed 4th spot being denied.

Which brings up that these half spots are sometimes largely political anyway. We all know in this cycle CONMEBOL 5th was really a lock, so CONMEBOL had 5 places.
    I suppose you could argue that if Mexico had not played so poorly in qualifying, then Honduras would have been the CONCACAF playoff team. Jordan and New Zealand may have been close to equal. Honduras may have been level with them. But it would have been a great upset had either of them beaten Mexico.

That is why I favor UEFA 12.5, CONMEBOL 5.5 with these two having a playoff.
    CONCACAF 4
    CAF 4.5
    AFC/OFC 4.5 total with a change in qualifying there some how, either OFC champ plays in the AFC final round, or AFC changes it's final round structure to have a defined 5th without a playoff, and that team faces OFC.
    Then CAF and AFC/OFC playoff.

Effectively this is only a change of half a spot from CAF and quarter each from AFC/OFC to CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. but in reality, aside from the UEFA/CONMEBOL playoff, this moves half a spot from CAF to CONCACAF and cuts the fractional spot for AFC/OFC to a quarter while giving a better playoff chance.

BardiyaIcelander repped this.
  14. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    UEFA-
    1. Germany
    2. France
    3. Belgium
    4. Spain
    5. Italy
    6. Netherlands
    7. England
    8. Portugal
    9. Russia
    10. Serbia
    11. Turkey
    12. Switzerland
    13. Ukraine
    14.Sweden

CONMEBOL
    1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Colombia
    4. Chile

CAF
    1. Ghana
    2. Nigeria
    3. Algeria
    4. Morocco
    5. Senegal

CONCACAF
    1. Mexico
    2. United States
    3. Honduras
    4. Costa Rica

AFC
    1. Japan
    2. Australia
    3. South Korea
    4. Uzbekistan
    5. China

Grondona die, good bye 5th Conmebol.

15. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    UEFA
    Russia, Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, England, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Scotland, Czech Republic, Ukraine

CONMEBOL
    Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile

CONCACAF
    USA, Mexico, Costa Rica

CAF
    Ghana, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Côte d'Ivoire

AFC
    Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, Iran, Oman

16. nonoman123

nonoman123 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    iquique
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    this is my prediction of a possible boycott of the tournament XD

AFC
    -australia
    -north korea
    -iran
    -uzbekistan
    -jordan

CONMEBOL
    -brazil
    -argentina
    -chile
    -uruguay
    -ecuador
    -venezuela

CAF
    -nigeria
    -ghana
    -algeria
    -ivory coast
    -burkina faso

CONCACAF
    -mexico
    -costa rica
    -honduras

UEFA

-russia (host)
    -slovenia
    -slovaquia
    -croatia
    -serbia
    -poland
    -wales
    -switzerland
    -czech republic
    -sweden
    -bosnia & herzegovina
    -denmark
    -turkey
    -austria

17. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #17 Bengoechea, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    I won't think it will be a boycott.
    First, if Germany boycott the World Cup, FIFA will find a way to control de situation so the current champion could participate, this will lead to all european nations pro-boycott to fore fait this boycott. Secondly, the only possible team i can see boycotting this world cup is clearly the USA and Ukraine. (or i think FIFA will be very biased in their games to allow them to not qualify barring which could be prompting a true "football war" with them there, unfortunately, because they got a very good team).

So reviewing my last post

UEFA
    Russia, Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, England, Belgium, Croatia, Sweden, Scotland, Czech Republic, Ukraine (or Poland)

CONMEBOL
    Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile (or Paraguay)

CONCACAF
    USA (Canada), Mexico, Costa Rica

CAF
    Ghana, Egypt, Algeria, Cameroon, Cape Verde

AFC
    Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, Iran, Oman

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nonman123 predicted 33 countries to participate.

19. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    UEFA
    Russia, Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, England, Belgium, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, Poland/Bosnia

CONMEBOL
    Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile

CONCACAF
    USA, Mexico, Costa Rica

CAF
    Ghana, Egypt, Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Cost

AFC
    Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, Iran, Iraq

20. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAF - Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Senegal, Egypt
    AFC - Australia, Japan, South Korea, Iran, Iraq
    CONCACAF - United States, Mexico, Costa Rica
    CONMEBOL - Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay
    UEFA is too hard to predict, I just hope Croatia and Turkey make it.

21. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way the US would boycott the tournament unilaterally. Russia and the US aren't exactly cuddly, but we're a long long way from the Cold War.

22. nonoman123

nonoman123 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    iquique
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So long as politicians do not screw it up like in 1980

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want the USA to boycott the World Cup. If boycotting the World Cup includes boycotting qualifiers and Gold Cup 2015 (since it contributes to qualifying for Confederations Cup 2017 in Russia), the USA won't have many meaningful games until 2019. The USA didn't boycott the Olympics in Sochi. I'd much rather the USA reach the Round of 16 for the third consecutive time.

24. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and Russia attended the 1994 World Cup in the United States, so the United States should attend in Russia.

25. mutdallas82

mutdallas82 New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hosts: Russia

UEFA: Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, France, Spain, Italy, England, Romania, Czech Republic, Croatia, Austria, Ukraine

CAF: Algeria, Tunisia, Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria

AFC: Japan, South Korea, Australia, Iraq, UAE

CONCACAF: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica

CONMEBOL: Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile