Pregnancy through IcsI (IVF)

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by The Biscuitman, Dec 5, 2007.

1. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    So me & my good lady have opted for IscI treatment (a form of IVF) and we are now 3 months into her downregulating, she starts 'firing up' on Christmas day with the big day planned for the 9th Jan.

I currently feel a little lost in a world of medical terms and daily injections, just wondered if anyone else on here has been through a similar process and what their experiences were?

The Biscuitman

2. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    My wife and I had to go through IVF as well. She was "diagnosed" with secondary infertility after having one child rather easily. My twins are 23 months old now and the medical terminology is a little hazy. I can try to help out a little, though, if you like.

The thing that stands out most in memory is all the injections I had to give her in her rear and all the injections she had to give herself in her stomach to stimulate everything.

3. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    We are booked in to the hospital on Monday morning for egg retrievel and then if all is looking good are back in on Wednesday for the main event. Sadly we found out last week that the injections have not stimulated my girlfriend as much as they hoped and she only produced 3 follicles when they wanted between 5-10. We are still going ahead with the treatment as we feel we have come too far now to stop though it does reduce our chances roughly from 1/3 to 1/6.

It also means we cannot freeze any 'spare' follicles for if we need to do this treatment again which would have cut the cost down considerably.

How many times did you and your partner do IVF until it was successfull Voyager?

4. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I almost hate to tell you this, but we got lucky the first time, and we had 7 left to freeze. We used 2 of the best and both ended up taking. It was a very tough decision to put back 2 but we have wonderful kids now. The other tough decision was what to do with the other 7. At first we kept them just in case we wanted to try again but with 3 kids now it is taking a major toll on us, mentally and financially. We ended up donating them so that others could experience the same joy we did after going through the same difficulty.

I wish you all the luck in the world though. It is not easy what you two are going through.

5. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Home from the hospital and the good news is that all 3 follicles produced an egg! We now wait for a phone call tomorrow morning to tel us if any of the eggs have taken to the sperm and if so we are back in on Wednesday for them to be implanted.

6. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Good news. I'm happy for you 2.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't gone through any thing like this but I'm gonna go ahead and think good thoughts for you anyway. best of luck and keep us posted.
    :)

8. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Cheers Ringo, all positive thoughts are appreciated!

Just had a call from the hospital to say that all 3 eggs have fertilised which even they say is extremely unusual, to go from having only 3 follicles (doctors even told us to reconsider even going ahead with the procedure at this point) to having all 3 produce an egg and then all 3 eggs fertilise is quite amazing!!

Long way to go yet but we are now on course to have 2 of the eggs put back in tomorrow!

9. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Even better news! Awesome that all 3 took.

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got lucky the first time as well. The key now is to follow up with your OB/GYN until they get sick of seeing you.

11. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    seconded!

12. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    2 fertalised eggs back in today and now the wait!

I got to sit in on the part where they insert them and I could see them going in on the screen.

13. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I got to do the same thing. Kind of a weird experience.

14. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
  15. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, man. So sorry to hear that.

16. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I am pretty philosophical about it, I believe in fate so whatever will be will be and all that though my girlfriend is a mess. I keep trying to reassure her but she is totally blaming herself for it.

Spoken to the clinic today too and they have said they want us to have a 3 month break before we go again, I am sure the break will help both mentally and physically but right now all we want to do is start as soon as we can.

Damn.

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it'll be worth the wait. trust me.

go love your girlfriend in the meantime.

:)

18. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Follow up appointment today.

We are booked in for around 7 weeks time to go again.

19. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Good luck!

20. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Round 2, ding ding!

Injections started last week and we are now all booked up for the week of 19th May.

21. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Egg retrieval was on Monday, embryo's went back in a couple of hours ago. None for freezing sadly but still, as of today I guess I am an expectant father!

Now have to wait 13 days to see if it worked

22. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    In 12 hours time I will find out of I am going to be a dad.

ooh the drama!!

23. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck!

24. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    The waiting is damn hard. Good luck!

25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Woohooooo, Get In There my son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!