Predict the World Cup final

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by MIGkiller, Feb 7, 2018.

?

The World Cup final will be..

Poll closed Jul 7, 2018.
  1. Brazil vs Germany

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. France vs Germany

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Argentina vs Brazil

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Brazil vs France

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Argentina vs Germany

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. France vs Spain

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Germany vs Spain

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Brazil vs Spain

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Argentina vs Spain

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Argentina vs France

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Other

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What do yout think will be the World Cup final in Russia this year?

My pick is Brazil vs Germany.

2. Fataliste

Fataliste Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Fez
    Brazil vs Germany
    or
    France vs Germany

3. alejo.87

alejo.87 Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Argentina vs brazil (??????)

4. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Brasil vs France

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Spain v France

upload_2018-2-8_12-40-38.png

tudobem62014 repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    One them would have to finish second in their group for that to happen.

holado repped this.
  7. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Belgium v Germany

Attached Files:

8. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, thats exactly what i mean.
    Only on the paper Brazil and France finish top of the group, in reality anything could happen

9. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am particularly keen on Brazil coming second as want to see them play Germany in SP in the 2nd round.

10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's fine. Germany won the confed cup. There's no way they win the World Cup lol.

11. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The semi-finals will be Argentina vs. Germany and Brasil vs. France.
    As we know Germany OWNS Argentina (1990, 2006, 2010,2014) so Germany defeats Argentina and goes to the final.
    As we know France OWNS Brasil (1986, 1998, 2006) so France wins and goes to the Final.
    In the Final France defeats Germany 3-1.

Vialli-Toto and Marius Tresor repped this.
  12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Sounds reasonable. France-Germany is my prefered final as long as the French come out victiorous.

It's between France, Germany and Brazil this year. I would be highly surprised if a team outside of that trio wins it.

13. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the year that Argentina finally gets its act together and wins the while thing.

My alternate theory is that Spain, which is long overdue to win the whole thing finally delivers. I don't think they bring as strong a team player-for-player as they have in years past, but that's the type of team that can over perform as a unit and take others by surprise.

14. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Overdue???? It's only been 8 years lol. Netherlands now they're long overdue

Vialli-Toto, Itiofele and themanlarry repped this.
  15. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    italy vs. holland

Vialli-Toto and tudobem62014 repped this.
  16. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 57 in dog years! Way too long for those of us with ties to "la seleccion". Besides, we're still pissed off about getting ripped off in 2002. And then Javier Clemente's" "tenemos equipo para ser campaigns". (We have a championship team).

Things will be "tudo bem" after Spain does its "pinta a sete" routine in Russia.

17. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #17 Kamtedrejt, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    I'll go with a little surprising pick.
    Belguim-Spain for the grand final.

That's because I don't trust Brazil against European top opposition. Brazil could get knocked out by a Central European team for the fourth consecutive time since 2006. All these teams that knocked out Brazil went on to the Final.

2006: France in the quarters
    2010: Netherlands in the quarters
    2014: Germany in the semis
    2018: Belguim in the quarters????????

18. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    I think Brazil vs Germany or France vs Germany are the two most likely finals to happen.

Although as an argentinian I dream of a final against Brazil. That would be historical because it is the biggest final that still didn't happen and it is also a rivalry.
    Among the considered 4 biggest national teams (Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina) the only ones left are Argentina vs Brazil and Italy vs Argentina finals, but Brazil vs Argentina is definetely the most important that hasn't been played among all options.

But for that to happen both Argentina and Brazil would probably have to defeat their two black beasts, I'm talking of Germany and France respectively.

Vialli-Toto, Marius Tresor and Fedechat repped this.
  19. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow nice hidden connection

20. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow never heard the term "black beast" before. That's like nemesis and Achilles heel in one word? I just laughed thinking about the circus that would start if a news person in the US would use that word in a newscast today.

21. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    "Bestia negra" is how we say in spanish to those teams that always win when playing against the same adversary.
    For example Germany always beats Argentina, France always beats Brazil or Italy always beats Germany.
    So we would say Italy is the black beast of Germany.
    I don't know where that comes from but it is how we say it. I didn't know how to say it in english so I made a literal translation haha
    It is like that team you are afraid to confront the same way you would be afraid to fight against a beast I suppose.

22. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Chiming in from Germany here: My pick would be Germany - France.

In Germany, people are not confident about winning the cup, but the team is seen as a contender. The good omens include the fact that many of the established players who have been off form or injured for a long time are finding their stride again. This includes Müller, Boateng, Götze, Reus and Gündogan (everybody is expecting Reus and Gündogan to sustain an injury again somewhere before the tournament starts, but it would be nice for them to make it for once). The newcomers have also continued to develop nicely, in particular Sane, Goretzka and Rüdiger (Serge Gnabry has also made great strides this season, but flown under the radar a bit; I hope Löw will take him along).
    The biggest asset is the large variety in midfield and the fact that we have a backline consisting of Kimmich-Hummels-Boateng that basically plays together the entire year (if Neuer can be fully fit for the tournament, that would be even better). The biggest worry is in attack: Werner has been off-form for a while now and Gomez is not considered to be really great anymore.
    I think France, Spain and perhaps also Belgium may boast more individual star power than Germany, but none of these teams have really gelled well yet with the new generation. The same is true for England, where a lot of good things are happening, but I believe they will need to gel more as a team first.
    I think is a Brazil is a bit of a mixed bag and we have yet to see how the current team matches up against the European teams, but I do feel like they are a bit overrated right now, I don't see them among the top three contenders for the title. Argentina still has probably the strongest offense in the world, but their defense is even less prominent than four years ago and then it was the defense that got the team into the final, not the offense. Not sure if Mascherano, Otamendi and co. can pull off another series of masterclasses like that again.

When I look at the most likely pairings for the round of 16 as posted by BocaFan above, I feel we may have a final without South American participation. My money is on Germany - France.

23. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    I'd say our weakest line is our midfield rather than our defense.
    The defense may not be the best but I think we can do something decent with Otamendi in great level, Mercado is playing well for Sevilla, Tagliafico is playing great at Ajax and Mascherano is not the same as 4 years ago but I believe he can work if he is well accompanied.
    Again, it is far from the greatest defense in the tournament but we can do something decent. The last World Cup everybody thought we were weak in defense before the tournament.

What condemns Argentina is our midfield, it is very weak, we don't have any good defensive midfielders (Mascherano can't play there anymore) and Biglia is just a standard midfielder.
    And we don't have players who can conect well with the attack.
    We may have the strongest attack and a decent defense but we have no one to give the ball to the forwards.
    Any decent team with a good midfield will win the battle in the middle and will not let our attackers touch the ball.

24. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Brasil vs. Germany friendly change anyone's previously expressed opinion?

25. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Friendlies should never change mindsets.