Pre /PBP/Post DC United v Orlando City

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Oct 20, 2016.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Date 10/23/16
    Time 4pm EST
    TV WJLA Channel 7

Playoff implications. Whether DC hosts the playin game hangs on this.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CRUSH THEM.

Like oranges.

Because Florida.

Even though they're, I dunno, purple or something.

LIKE GRAPES. MAKE WINE WITH THEIR BLOOD.

Boloni86, Winoman, Murr and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman, stangspritzring and song219 repped this.
  5. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    They've only won 1 out of their last 6 and that was against a fading Philly. Nothing for them to play for except maybe guys playing for roster spots next year.

6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be business as usual. I'd play a full strength team, we can deal with the next two games as they come.

7. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    baby critter pic:

[​IMG]

pr0ner, Winoman, Murr and 1 other person repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    baby animals + another horrible Orlando organization

Last year we would so lose this game, hopefully we're more cultured and aware this year. Need to ride this win-streak

Whichever DM we're planning on playing in the play-in game, we need to send out a different one to just viciously harass their best midfield players until he passes out from exhaustion, then we can put in the guy we're playing next week to finish the game out to keep him fresh.

* I typed this up with a baby critter in it before going to a meeting so I'm still posting it even though kirchhausen has provided an animal

Winoman and kirchhausen repped this.
  9. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    3 healthy points and move on.

It's business time

Winoman repped this.
  10. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting first playoff match at home is important and Orlando has nothing besides pride left to play for. I expect to win with way we've been playing lately (most goals per match of any MLS side since the All Star break).

11. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    In normal throw-away games, Olsen has never been shy about putting out lots of subs to rest starters.

Unfortunately this isn't a throw-away game. We need a win to assure hosting Montreal or Philly in the Play-In game. In the middle of the week. Historically, hosting these games has been a huge advantage.

But that said, are there any strategic really good subs we can start?

Goal Keeper: - none - gotta stay with Hamid, and this position is more a matter of focus than cardio-vascular endurance

Defenders: - none - normally I'd try Opare for Boswell, but he's still out - just hope that Boswell can contain his exertion to avoid any possible fatigue - and NDL doesn't exhaust himself at Right Back nearly as he has at Right Midfielder - and while I like Mishu more than most others here, I'd rather bring him on late if any Defender needs a real rest at 70th minute or later

Midfield: Use if any normal starter has a big nick before the game, or sub them in as soon as Orlando starts knocking legs a lot:
    Neagle - more than a serviceable Outside Midfielder, and he can score a lot
    Buescher - frequently in for Acosta

Forward: - Kennedy & Saborio - while Kennedy might be OK as an Outside Midfielder, he really needs quantity time as a Forward - we gotta see what he can do, if Mullins gets hurt - and I'd use Saborio only somewhere after the 70th minute

Bottom Line: - nothing startling - stick with our normal line-up unless a big nick before the match or there's a big lead early in the 2nd half

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Neagle starting for Nyarko, but that's it. I doubt that even happens.

If United can get up a couple of goals, get Lucho the hell out of there.

stangspritzring repped this.
  14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Really sucks that this game is on turf. It will make the play-in game that much tougher on the recovery.

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I remember when this game was going to be serious business for United making the playoffs.

How things quickly change.

song219 repped this.
  16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I say keep the back 7 of Hamid, Kemp, Boswell, Birnbaum, De Leon, Jeffrey and Vincent intact. That unit at this point will thrive on continuity.

But I wouldn't mind a little shake up in attack to keep everyone fresh. Start Neagle for Nyarko. Maybe even Buscher for Acosta. And maybe even Saborio or Igbo for Mullins. See how the first half progresses. If you need them you can start bringing in the big guns in the 2nd half.

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  17. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    They need to take the 3 pts without hesitation!

Winoman repped this.
  18. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting line up can not change on a 4 game winning streak. Get a lead then sub Buescher for Acosta, Neagle for Nyarko, and Kennedy for Mullins in that order.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  19. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this breakdown. It makes me realize how tough it will be for Olsen to navigate this week.

Given the options, I get the logic of sticking with the line up that has resulted in the recent winning streak. However, best case scenario, United will have three games in the next 8 days.

While home field is very important (maybe critical), it may be worth it to gamble and rest a few players tomorrow if this team really has the ambition of getting deeper into the playoffs than last year.

I know that these are pro athletes and all, but I just don't see them winning all three games by starting the same lineup every game. In addition, we definitely want our best 11 out there at the start of the knockout game and (again assuming a win as best case scenario) next Sunday's semi leg 1.

I agree that the best candidates for rest are the players that put in the most running, the older players, and those carrying knocks. I also agree that Neagle for Nyarko is probably the best place to start. Maybe, start Acosta, but hope to get him out early by second half substitution. Possibly start Saborio for Mullins, but bring in Mullins early in the second half if we need a goal; just some thoughts.

This is when Olsen earns the big bucks. If he can somehow rest/limit minutes for 2-3 starters tomorrow and still get the 3 pts (or whatever result necessary to secure home field for the ko game), it could make all of the difference.

Vamos United!

20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Saborio be that effective? I think you have to start the starters and then make decisions based on how our game AND the Montreal game goes. Remember, Montreal needs to win or our game doesn't even matter. A draw ties them with us, but amazingly, our GD crushes theirs.
    I agree with many that starting Neagle probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Nyarko is great, but Neagle is great too. Sharing minutes for them wouldn't be a bad thing. Would love to see Buescher take some minutes from Acosta too, so Acosta can rest. Will need him to be on if we want to do anything in the playoffs.

Oveki8 repped this.
  21. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I think you start your best 11 because they are the team on a roll and who will make our playoff run go deep. You don't want any part of them thinking that the coach isn't full behind you and expecting you to get the result. However, if we can be up by 2 at the half, I'd bring Acosta and Nyarko out then.

22. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    But I think number of wins in the first tie-breaker - so we lose on that :-(.

Ooops - looking at wrong column - we'd both be on 11 wins so yes, we'd kill them on GD.

23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume that a potential 3 games in 8 days stretch would allow for some rotation without a loss of confidence by players in benny. They're all professionals.

Boloni86 repped this.
  24. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    They're also human, and psychology in team sports is something that can't be learned. We need to win to play at home. That's the goal. You put your best 11 out to do that and change up if we have a comfortable lead.

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we just disagree a lot on human nature. I think psychology can be learned and it often is learned well by professionals.
    It's easy to see lamar starting and nyarko starting midweek and there being zero problems. It doesn't mean everyone will love the situation, but it's simple to understand that minute rotation is a good idea.
    I wouldn't be against continuity either. My point is that Ben should be considering rotation to keep everyone fresh and he should be confident that his players will understand it if he explains it. Heck, he probably wouldn't even need to explain neagle starting.
    Saborio starting would be a bad idea if you ask me, not for psychological reasons, but because the drop off is much more than nyarko to neagle.