Pre/PBP/Post DC United v Atlanta

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really fun to see the team play well, shoot, and score. I presume all Atlanta games are exciting with their good offense and poor defense.
    They just can't figure us out though... :)

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some thoughts in freedom, good game (first half a little boring), good win, nice goals. This win feels better than the one vs Christos FC. I still haven't figured out how a talented team like Atlanta hasn't figured out a mediocre team like us yet. I mean, 6 points in 2 games, they can't really say much.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is Red and Black. Atlanta was Red and Blechhh. Their jerseys looked like second-tier team practice jerseys.

Observations: Just as at the Christos match, Benny started 33-year old Le Toux and 35 year-old Marcelo on very warm nights. And they survived! Ortiz was a bit more active, but was overshadowed by Brown IMO, who seemed much more dangerous and also helped out on defense.

Harkes got more involved as the game progressed, and Korb was very active. He got his first assist since whenever on Nyarko's goal.

Where was Sam? I haven't heard that he was injured. I think we could have used him tonight.

Our defense worried me - we backed off way too much, which gave them room to close in and pick their spots.

Nice win, and a decent crowd for a weeknight.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A pleasant evening -- for once. Got to meet @Winoman, a gentleman and scholar. Dasdak was serving homeopathic gin and tonics, I think they waved a bottle of gin "near" the glass full of tonic water.

The second goal was nice, cross from Korb, flick on by Harkes and nice finish by Nyarko. Actually looked like real soccer.

Hamid at the death to keep the 3.

One final observation -- Brown's pace made Atlanta honest. I'll give Ortiz props for the pressure that led to Lucho's goal. However, other than that, he is slow, slow, slow and Atlanta knew it and wasn't bothered by his runs at all.

Eastern Bear, dadman, Murrdcu and 2 others repped this.
  5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Opare in defense instead of Boswell was key for this win; I don't know why Boswell was out, but I am happy he was, Villalba was a flash and even Opare had to sweat to close him down, Boswell wouldn't have even seeing him.

Q*bert Jones III, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also thought during the game that Acosta really has another pace compared to all other our players, not only he moves faster but he also thinks faster. For the kind of game they play, he would be perfect for a team like Atlanta.

big spaniel repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Boswell is injured again -- groin. I agree, Opare has looked solid this year. He has size and pace. Now, maybe Birnbaum can get out of his funk because he has been mediocre at best and not very often at that.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Birnbaum won every contested header in his space. He has serious ups.

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice meeting you, too, @griffin1108, and your son! I too thought Ortiz played better than he has recently, but as more of a 'Pajoy' type role. :eek: He did pressure the defense, and helped to force the turnover that led to Acosta's goal. I think that Brown might actually turn into something nice up front: he had a nice turn-and-shoot that reminded me somewhat of what Chris Rolfe used to do.

As much as I like Bobby Boswell, he has been letting defenders go past him like a matador letting a bull charge past. I think he's just too slow anymore. It's a shame, too, because until recently, he's been a very good defender.

dadman, shawn12011 and sitruc repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one united. ******** atlanta. they're on NY 1 & 2 level for me for trying to steal our identity, but we've dad dicked them twice.

3 points tonight makes me a lot happier on my way up to philly saturday

Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Another observation that stood out was Hamid's rabid celebration at the final whistle. I guess it's expected after the save, but that display of emotion is pretty rare for our team. We're usually pretty subdued ... sometimes even just going through the motions. For a Ben Olsen team we have a lot of shy quiet types like Jeffrey, Kemp, Neagle, Franklin, De Leon ... I hope to see more of this from Hamid in the future. Sometimes a team needs that leader to raise the intensity and demand more from everyone.

Eastern Bear, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also for whoever had posted this team was worse than 2013, i mean get a ********ing grip. yea there have been some bad spots but that team won 3 total and 2 out of 31 or 32 after the home opener.

13. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wait ... TWO goals?

In all seriousness, we really match up well with Atlanta. I think it's because they don't press much on defense -- gives some of our slower (of mind) players the chance to think.

Nyarko would make such a perfect off-the-bench veteran option for a championship-contending team. Acosta was Good Acosta tonight -- kept the hot-headedness to a minimum, better at holding possession.

Like the new guy in limited minutes. On one high-pressure play he covered 40 yards in the amount of time it would take Ortiz to cover 20.

In what numerically still looks like a lost season, you've got to savor matches like this one.

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the late game breakaway, I think he was being too clever by half. The only explanation for him to shoot the ball right at Parkhurst was because I think he was trying to nutmeg him. It was like the worst possible judgement possible. He puts the ball anywhere else and we are up 3-1.

That could've been the difference between 3 points and 1 point if the ref had called the handball on Marcelo.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United beat an expansion team!!!

16. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutsy game. Even after we conceded the guys gave full effort. The big difference last night was a deliberate plan to play one touch passes forward and wide. This is why we were finally able to catch a defense off balance and create space for attacks.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  17. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh OK so we're not allowed to post or celebrate 3 points? ******** off

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You rep'd my earlier post...:unsure:

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    True and that will be part of Atlanta's shameful legacy for some time. The flight home will be dominated by How the fook did that happen? Let's hope it's the beginning of a trend.

Adler repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    They have tried one touch before, sadly the other side or the ball boys got the pass. Tonight it was us to us not us to them

21. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    We got points. We got points.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've seen displays of emotion on recent DC United teams. It's just this season there hasn't been much to celebrate.

Real Mobile and Winoman repped this.
  23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I liked that post

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Surprised we got 2 goals, but we really should have had more. Hit the cross bar, missed the target on a number of good opportunities. Hell, even Acosta's goal hit the post. Keep practicing on the shooting, guys.

Great game by Nyarko. And Hamid, obviously.

jason1551 and Winoman repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is the highest scoring team in the league, so great job there.

Maybe Nyarko's remarks about attacking and defending in numbers hit home and now we can see better performances with better team interplay.

I feel good about their chances in Philly. I don't think they'll get many quality chances on either side and both keepers are studs, but I think United is desperate now and that's a good look for them.

Winoman repped this.