Pre/pbp/post 7/6 WWC USA vs. Sweden

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Cville K C, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're already talking a lot about this match on other threads, we might as well start this.

We're in the quarterfinals, but the match against Sweden will determine who we will play. Our opponent could be one of three teams. If we lose, it will probably be Brazil. If we win, it will most likely be the winner of the Australia/Norway match, with it being Australia in the event of a tie between those two teams.

Recent tweets concerning lineup from ussoccer_wnt:

"USWNT head coach Pia Sundhage in press conference: Abby Wambach isn't practicing today and neither is Heather O'Reilly..."

"Pia continued:"...Still we will make the final decision [for the lineup] after practice today and tonight." #USWNT"

Seger for Sweden is out of this match for yellow card accumulation.

My personal feeling is that I would rather not have to play Brazil in the quarterfinals. While it appears we would have to beat both Brazil and Germany to win the Cup, it is possible that France could tie or beat Germany, which would probably put Germany and Brazil on a collision course in the semis instead of the US and Germany.

That being said, any of quarterfinalists would be a tough match for the United States. France and Japan had great matches their last time out.

So what are everyone's thought on lineups, etc?

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre/pbp/post 7/6 USA vs. Sweden

Thanks for starting this thread. I sit HAO for this game no question. I'm less certain about Abby. I'd play her no more than 45min either way. But, if the heel really is bothering her and given that she's got a yellow, I'd probably sit her the entire game in favor of Morgan -- but then again, I (unlike Pia) wouldn't start ARod all the time.

I'm a little concerned about Rampone's legs over the course of the knockouts. She's older than Boxx. But it is a really hard call to break up the backline for a game like this. And we don't want to lose then game. That would see us place 2nd.

When do official lineups need to be in? An hour b/f the game? Or two hours? If it is just an hour, we'll know what Brazil's sitch is at that point...I'd be tempted to wait til the last minute.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

There really isn't much reason to rest Rampone is there-- she hasn't had to work very hard so far at all? She's come up very big in three or four high pressure situations but otherwise the activity in the center has been mostly Buehler's-- and she hasn't been all that busy either.

I'd be looking to get her out for 45 if possible, but as much to get Saurbrunn on as to rest Rampone.

Kreiger on the other hand has run her butt off...I'd really be hoping for a 2-0 halftime lead and a chance to get her out for Mitts. And not because I care if Mitts plays...

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sauerbrunn can play outside, too.

And I get what you're saying about Rampone putting out fires but maybe not running as much as some other defenders. And I agree -- except she's still 36 and coming off a groin "tweak" that saw her miss 2 send off games which worries me.

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. You play to win the group. If that means we play Germany in the semis (obviously if both teams win their Qtr finals match) than so be it. Hopefully France does tie or beat Germany sending them into Brasil's bracket. I think France is playing really well right now but if you can avoid the home crowd I think it would be beneficial.

I'd say HAO sits the full game. If Abby is feeling up to it, start her and she is a second half sub. The yellows don't clear until after the quarters, so she will have t be careful in the quarterfinals as well. So I wouldn't sit her due to the yellow. If she's gonna miss either the quarterfinals of the semis I'd prefer the qtrs. But I really think it won't be a problem either way. Let Boxx get some time in, 60-70 min.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

I don't see any reason to think that the groin is an issue any more-- they treated it as more serious than it was precisely to make sure it didn't matter now. The ones you try to play through go on forever, but if you go all sissy sensible on them they go away.

I believe Sauerbrunn can play outside; but I think she's prmarily skilled for the center. And I think if people are unhappy about Amy's perfomance outside-- which I am not, I think she's gaining on it rapidly-- they should not be in a hurry to see Sauerbrunn make her first appearance on the outside against Sweden in a world cup group decider. You trust your players, but you don't tempt the cosmic screw.

I'd much rather see Mitts if we rest Kreiger. 45 minutes in group play against a familiar opponent seems about right for her world cup-- only thing is, if Mitts plays then Rampone will have to run, because when Mitts plays Pia has them flip-flop a lot when the offense is coming up that side.

I wouldn't be afraid to start Sauerbrunn against Norway or Australia. Her play was so solid this year I would think that might be the game to rest Rampone. And I would not be at all concerned if she has to come in because somebody else goes down.

But I wouldn't deliberately tempt the cosmic screw. If I can control where and when Sauerbrunn plays, it will be in Rampone's slot, where she actually already has an impressive resume.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You make a lot of sense. And that's probably what will happen -- Pia will play Rampone vs Sweden. We don't want to lose the game.

Re: right back, Sauerbrunn has played outside for both her WPS club & in her loan stint in Norway but not at the international level. So it would be a risk. I'm just really not a fan of Mitts at this level at this point in time. So I wouldn't play her at all. My own issues popping up, I guess.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

I think a lot of the mistrust of Mitts and Amy-on-the-outside have to do with a misunderstanding about what Pia is tryong to get done.

The idea is that this 4-4-2 plays almost like a 3.5 -4-2.5. People get upset because Amy and Heather are chasing along behind the counters-- but that's "supposed" to happen. When the offense comes up one side, the back is supposed to get up with it, and the other backs slide over to cover, with a mid positioned to help them-- HAO or Lloyd typically, if it is the left back coming up.

The problem with Beuhler was that she got caught up without having contributed anything much to the attack. the problem with Cox is that it violates her defensive sensibilities to take that kind of chance-- she just can't bring herself to do it. Mitts simply isn't terribly effective either way when she tries to cover that much ground, and so they have gone to having Rampone go up most of the time, letting Mitts hang back and cover.

Amy, on the other hand, has taken the bit in her teeth in a big way. She doesn't always see the situation accurately, and she's still getting burned when she shouldn't in this scheme a bit-- but she's getting it right more and more. I think this time next year she'll be great. But we'll be holding our breath a few times this year.

BTW, my understanding of this scheme kind of came about when I asked myself "Why is one aware of Lloyd so little during games." When I started trying to watch her and not the ball it quickly became apparent that she wasn't on screen during the attack for whole sequences. These were almost always the sequences that started with the ball coming up the left, and HAO staying involved in the initial attack. Conclusion-- Carli's just off screen supporting against any counter.

When Carli's involved, HAO is usually off screen or hard to find...

I may be all wrong-- I haven't the time or discipline to rewatch games and track individual players throughout-- but since I started viewing it this way, things have made a whole lot more sense to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My mistrust of Mitts has to do with her form and health (lack of same) over the last 2 years. Wouldn't matter what sort of system Pia wanted to play.

I'll think about the substance of your post and get back to you. It is thought provoking -- thanks. I might have to re-watch games :)

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like this could be our lineup.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Rodriguez, Morgan, Rapinoe, Lloyd, Boxx, Cheney, LePeilbet, Beuhler, Rampone, Krieger, Solo[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do I like knowing this sort of lineup info ahead of time? Sure. Do I want our opponents knowing this sort of linup info ahead of time? No. Would I trust Pia to keep my secrets? No, not based on how she's told the world her lineups ahead of time.

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to this line-up...
    i saw throw becky in there too and let one of the d's rest (rampone?). they will need it.

13. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010

Is anyone else concerned with the fact that we have to play Germany in the semi-finals?

I'd almost rather we lose to Sweden to get an easier path to the finals.

14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

we only do first or third.

15. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

This should be a pretty interesting line up. Will Abby be played at all? And if she isn't, will O'Hara be used as a forward sub since there's no one left? I'd rest Lloyd a bit this game; this will be her third 90 and I'd like for her to be fresh I'm these next few matches.

I'd also be tempted to put Sauerbrunn in at the half for any one of Rampone, Buehler, or LePeilbet. I'll be interested to see Pia's subs.

16. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You don't worry about what lies ahead. For all you know Germany loses in the quarters. You just play your next opponent and focus on that. Losing to Sweden would lose momentum.

17. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This business of talking about "all we need to do to advance is tie Sweden" or "we should lose to Sweden to get an easier path to the semis" is utter poppycock. Any team that tries that is pulling a "Ryan", giving up momentum for the sake of an ill-thought out strategy.

Bollocks to that, win and win big, steamroll to a championship. If you put your best out there and still lose, then it wasn't your day, but if you compromise and still lose, bad move

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

No, if we are trepidated to play them in the semis we should just pack our bags and go home. We should be happy and confident enough to play them any time, any place, any where.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree. And people should NOT overlook Sweden. Nor assume we or anyone else will get through the quarters.

That said, resting players carrying a card and/or injuries is the smart thing to do. I think we can compete w/ (and I hope win against) Sweden with Abby & HAO resting their respective injuries.

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Play every game to win.

21. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm praying for a win, but my head says we can't win this one without HAO. She's been the only one so far who has been able to stretch out the defense.

I like Rapinoe and all but she doesn't have the same pace HAO offers. I haven't seen much of her recently, but from what I remember in the friendlies for the past two years is that she sometimes gives the ball away too easily. It might be too easy for sweden to close her down.

We need pace on the wing to clear up the middle. Could ARod be a RW? She can't shoot, but she sure can chase down balls into space.

22. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio

I agree that it is a risk to sit HAO however if her groin is an issue (at least I think that's what it was she was icing but there was also talk of her jaw so I am a little confused as to the final decision on that one) I think it is best to sit her now and give her rest for the quarters since we know we will need her there.

To be honest I have DVR'd the Sweden games but haven't finished watching them yet but I do think Rapinoe can be affective against them. I think she has good speed on the flank and given that she hasn't been starting recently I think this could provide a great incentive for her to get a few good chances.

I'm still in favor of starting Abby for the first half then bringing in Alex Morgan at the start of the 2nd to give her a full 45 minutes. I'm guessing that since Abby did not participate in their last practice she probably won't start but I would LOVE to see her get a goal against Sweden and carry that momentum into the quarters.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ESPN has reported that it's a groin issue.

24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm in favor of sitting both Abby and HAO. Abby, partly because she's carrying a card, and partly because we need her healthy in the next round. And HAO because there's no need to aggrevate her injury especially when there is a capable backup. Also, I'm looking forward to Morgan/AROD/Rapinoe/Cheney running at the Swedish backline. Should create some havoc!

BTW, there's no way this team overlooks Sweden. Rampone, Boxx, Solo and Wambach would never allow that attitude on this team.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

Survive and advance.

Doesn't matter who you play two matches from now; just matters you get by the next one. Doesn't matter when you play someone at all-- you either have to beat them to win the cup, or you have to beat someone else who beat them.

Survive and advance.

It is possible to win a WWC on 2 total goals.

If you do, it still counts.