Pre/pbp/post 7/13 WWC USA vs. France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Hope Becky keeps her spot.

Well, other than that Bompastor shot... But really, that was more the defender's fault for not pushing Thiney wide.

What I found hilarious yet quite sad is that the defenders quite clearly don't trust Lloyd to hold onto the ball. They constantly boot it over her to the forwards when she's in the game. However, when Cheney takes over the CM (and actually holds onto it), they pass to her and she rewards them by keeping it, looking around, and making the pass.

ARod rarely gets rewarded because she gets these great services and then she wastes them with her ridiculously bad first touch or she actually runs OUT of the play. She can't combine with Abby at all. She doesn't draw off defenders, she doesn't put herself in the right spots... At least Morgan does some give and go with Abby.

That being said, I agree that Morgan's a bit erratic due to her inexperience.

Given our style, then yes, that's the type of ball we have to play. We looked okay dominating the ball with a better CM.

LP is looking better since that Sweden game but Rampone there certainly helps her, as does the fact that Boxx is staying back to help and that the defense isn't as high as in the Sweden game.

That being said, Krieger having to help run in to help when our CMs just constantly giving away possession (and getting hurt) is a bad sign.

Yeah. Although I think some of this is trust... Honestly, I think the defenders just don't trust Lloyd with the ball (perhaps with some justification). Incidentally, Hope too does long balls with Lloyd in and changed her game to passing to a defender more with Cheney as CM.

Hope we can impose our will on Japan too.

I think people are a little scared by how much possession and chances the other team has. As you say, part of the reason it works is because we have Hope Solo. She's a ridiculous, remarkable bulwark back there and without her, we'd never be able to play like this (or at least, not successfully).

1 person likes this.
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the troubles she had in the group games, I think Amy LePeilbet deserves special praise for her play today. She was generally solid back there.

And Christie Effing Rampone? Machine.

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche on your knowledge of Norse mythology, Cliveworshipper, touche...

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Thanx.

5. hdtvfan

hdtvfan New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Why, why, why? She has done little more than to occupy space as far as I have seen. What am I missing about this?

6. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Except when Becky lost her mark on Thiney which froze Solo so Bompastor's cross could skitter into the far post. I still think Sauerbrunn is an upgrade to Buehler.

7. Footy Fan

Footy Fan Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can also get the games on ESPN3.com and click the replay tab. USA-France is already up.

8. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They mentioned earlier on the telecast that the USA-France game will be rebroadcast on ESPN2 at 6pm Eastern.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LP has been good and Rampne great both of the last two games. The defense has sorted out its prior problems quite well......

10. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gone final.

These Swedish players have brought shame upon their Houses...

11. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Cheney has blown up. She stabilizes the central midfield, she gets a goal and an assist...I'm starting to think about her like she's always been this imperious MF presence who can be counted on to get the job done. She wasn't even a consistent starter until this tournament. Shades of Hucles in Beijing...except that Cheney is at the beginning of her career, not the end. The future of the US midfield may be before us.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Whether she stays with the run or not, the keeper needs to respect the run and hope if the ball lands it goes wide and not in the net. You are basically handcuffed in that situation.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a keeper did you think Solo should have been at 3/4 rather than mid goal facing the cross? She might have been wrongfooted anyway but.....

14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still thinking it was a fluke? Japan just comfortably beat Sweden giving up only 1 shot on goal because of a rare mistake from Sawa.

I think the US will have trouble against Japan because it'll be a huge clash of two inspired teams. Do I think Japan will win? No. But I don't think it'll be a walk in the park for the US.

15. TKFJ_RBNY

TKFJ_RBNY Member

May 2, 2009
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd had one of the worst performances I have seen. Pretty damn awful.

ARod was completely ineffective as well. Pia should start neither in the final. Insert Morgan and Lindsay/Rapinoe.

16. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I only read this match cast at work. The stats of this match are very impressive for Japan. For the Germany match, the only stat in their favor was possession and they looked like they would not score if the game lasted 3 hours. So I still think Germany was a bit of a fluke. If, since the Germany game, they have been able to further solidify their defense against power, pace, and height, and increased their speed/numbers/aggressiveness in attack, then going forward I see great things for Japan. Can they do it a third time and against power, pace, and height? We shall see. I am very happy to see Japan win their last two games. A part of me would like to see them win it all. I think women's soccer could use much more style/size diversity among its top teams. Real shame that the Chinese program has fallen apart.

The most attractive final would have been Japan-France. And I think France would have defeated a talented but tactically deficient Brazil.

17. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    1+.
    Rampone showed why the break-up of the good center pairing of LePeilbet and Buehler was correct.
    LePeilbet acquitted herself well the last 2 games.
    Buehler was pretty good too but the 3 of them on the field together are still iffy.

The right side was a question mark 3,4 months ago but Krieger has been solid the whole cup.
    Sauerbrunn earned her cap today.

Coxx is a dependable backup as well.
    Mitts hasn't played but is still pretty as always. ;)

Suddenly, we have a defense as strong as we did 3/ 4 years ago.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let the joy (or libations) of today's victory get overboard....

19. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Took a closer look at the website. The business address is in Orlando, but the farm is outside of Atlanta.

20. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Replay of the Game is on espn2 at 6PM Eastern

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden's GK Hedvig Lindahl made at least four mistakes:
    - weak punch for Sawa's header goal
    - out past box top right for Kawasumi's empty-net lob for the ages
    - off her line on Ohno's glancer off the crossbar
    - final-minute clearance at 32m :eek: wide left -- the sixth mowed stripe!!

Those seem uncharacteristic for Lindahl; they're definitely rare for Solo. Japan will have to work harder to create their own shots.

USA survived France's midfield dominance. We should get a reasonable subset of Sweden's chances around Japan's box edges, and then I think USA is more patient, effective, and unpredictable than Sweden is.

As others have noted, we hold the aerial attack in trump. Cheney's flicks are a subtle wild card; that's a very hard attack to stop, hence a highly useful weapon.

What was O'Reilly doing on the left, anyways? :D Pretty good left foot!

22. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  23. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I had read a few posts early on with concern over the referee. I think she called an outstanding match today. She let the girls play and gave out just 1 deserved card.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The ref did an excellent job.

25. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    On a darker note, they might even scar her Career with a record for the most starts/minutes for a WWC forward who never scored...