Pre/In/Post - Rapids vs. Quakes, Sat. 2PM, May 13; 2018 Pre-season

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 11, 2017.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is this the one at the Northglenn community center?

Edit: nevermind, yes...

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My wife claims she had a premonition before the match that it was the Rapids time to win, but other than that, not many. I had this one down for an 0-1 loss.

Sports Yak and Stuart95 repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah, so. This game was quite unexpected.

Hard to believe San Jose was good coming in. So I'm not sure how much is transferrable to the next game. The dual forwards didn't seem that helpful; Gordon had a poor game. Saied was surprising good on the flank and it was very helpful to have a fullback (Hairston) contributing to the attack. It helped to have one of the d-mids moving forward. Will the D hold up doing this against a better team?

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, we tried to hit that up last year. Way too crowded to be worth it.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having 2 in the box helped the mentality of the team be more attacking. While Gordon himself didn't do much the idea that we were willing to commit 2 to the attack (finally) really helped reinforce the idea with the rest of the team.

6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

[​IMG]

7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The Rapids won! I didn't even bother tuning in. Just Watched the replay. I'm happy but I don't regret hiking epic water falls instead.

SccrDon, 22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  8. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going with a 4-4-2: +1
    Starting Gordon: -1
    Power's decisions and passing: -1
    Miller-left, Hairston-right: +1
    Letting Gashi be Gashi: +1

Don't know this game proves any kind of turnaround, but I hope it puts some confidence back in the players and the team as a whole.

jayd8888 and rapidogordo repped this.
  9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time I've seen the Quakes in their NASL throw back color kit ... very cool!

SccrDon repped this.
  10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys, but I get a "told you so" even though I did cheat........I am out of town and sent a Colombian to the game with my season tickets. Her question to me, "Should I wear my Valderrama wig?"..........how could we possibly lose after that? Maybe I need to send her to EVERY game. Sure beats all the hot air on the RFO, Pablo, acquisitions, line-ups, MLS, Oscar, Gary, Fernando, Tim, Mooch,, and Gary..........

They looked good playing Pablo ball.

R

AlbertCamus, Centennial and jayd8888 repped this.
  11. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. While Gordon did miss an easy sitter, he played a part in the final two goals. He and Badji provided pressure on the defender and Gordon's last touch played the ball to Badji, who went down and scored. Gordon, who was credited for the assist, made a run alongside Badji which kept the defender from totally committing to Badji. Gordon also played the ball to Badji who set up Gashi's second goal.

So while he did miss an easy sitter, Gordon was credited for two assists. Not saying he had a great game, but it was good, not poor.

I also think having two forwards helped offensively

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That is a good point. It could also help in the future. It seems a good hold up guy and a fast guy could work well together...hasn't happened yet but the 2017 Rapids could use even the poor man's version of the Casey-Cummings chemistry.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I guess it seemed he was fumbling the ball away so often in the midfield. But...all the Rapids do that a lot I suppose.

jimijam28 repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So does bring any optimism that a formation change will help moving forward? If Hairston is at fullback and there are two forwards, it does seem it allows for a variety of "attacking" players all to be on the field together. (Conventional striker like Gordon or Doyle, the fast guys in Hairston and Badji, Gashi, and I guess Saeid now too?)

15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, the new formation only surprises the first team. Need coaching to tweak it from here and PM is not that guy.

16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some friends and I ditched watching the Rapids game and went to see the Rockies take on the Dodgers. Unfortunately, the Rapids turned into the Rockies and the Rockies turned into the Rapids.

I guess that means I'm the jinx. :eek:

22SteveD repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth remembering that in the epic 9-15-10 disaster of the 2015 season, the Rapids beat FC Dallas 4-0 on the road thrashed RSL 3-1 at home. It's a long way to October.

COMtnGuy, Totoro, 22SteveD and 4 others repped this.
  18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

String many wins together!

19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For Pablo ball, it sure looked a lot like Gary ball. 4-4-2, speed guy and bruiser up front, effectively an empty bucket midfield with two wingers, right back frequently getting in on the attack...

SccrDon and 22SteveD repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro, Riccardo55 and RapidStorm repped this.
  22. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I like that Pablo's finally willing to experiment with a new shape and slightly new personnel. I'm glad that the formation seems to maximize the strengths of several of our players and hide their weaknesses. I'm glad that Doyle appears to be not a main feature in those new plans. And I hope Williams stays on the pine when he's back from suspension next week.

At the same time, I hope Pablo can come up with some new iterations of the "y-midfield" if he plans to use that going forward. MLS has years of game tape of watching LA's "y-midfield" under Bruce Arena, and how to break it down, so it will take some additional creativity to continue to be successful with it this year. Especially since, let's face it, our midfield is not even in the same ballpark as LA's was, talent-wise, when it was having success in the Y.

Totoro repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The 'Y' midfield to me is less of a concern than the 'why' attack. So far three baby steps forward (goals) with SJ. And obviously they do relate, having an attacking fullback may have been a bigger difference maker though.

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They get tested again real soon since there's a game on Wednesday.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids