Pre-Gold Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 30, 2017.

1. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    #101 skim172, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Do we really need to award another "cup" for what is effectively a single match play-off for another, different cup tournament? :cautious:

The CONCACAF Cup exists purely as a procedural necessity because we couldn't send two teams to the Confederations Cup. I mean, I'm assuming that if the 2017 and 2019 Gold Cup are both won by the same team, then the CONCACAF Cup doesn't even happen.

And BTW - can they at least try to be a little creative with these names? "The CONCACAF Cup" - not to be confused with the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which is the cup for CONCACAF. If you win the CONCACAF cup, then you win the CONCACAF Gold Cup, and you can play for the CONCACAF Cup, which is only winners of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Unless you win both CONCACAF Gold Cups, in which case there is no CONCACAF Cup - because you won too many CONCACAF cups.

Is the CONCACAF Cup itself made of gold? Because then they'd better make sure the CONCACAF Gold Cup doesn't get mixed up with the gold CONCACAF Cup. That could get confusing.

Personally, I would've gone for "CONCACAF Winners' Deathmatch" or something.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  2. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    The article wasnt bad...covered a lot including owners and coaches.

Except he forgot to even mention Danny Williams in it. He mentioned Reading but no mention of DW. I guess its just a mistake.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your main point. You could go in with the mindset that you want to win with a-team players, only for them to underachieve, because they've accomplished a lot bigger things in their career, so playing in the 2nd Gold Cup of the cycle is anticlimactic. Hungry players who are looking for their first opportunities or are on the fringes and want to breakthrough with the 1st team, may actually even give you a better shot at winning in the end. You have to be in-tune with the psychology of your players as manager. It's part of the man management aspect of the job.

And even if you win with an a-team against b-teams, on your own home soil, how much pride can you really take in that? It would be kind of pathetic and show a little brother mentality when we used to be co-top dog in CONCACAF. If Mexico and even Costa Rica are bringing a B-team, certainly we should be. An A-/B+ team is too strong.

We'd be making the same fatal mistake, like in 2013, which we are suffering for now because we effectively integrated nobody. Why was our depth so bad in 2015-2016 where if we suffered even moderate attrition we suffered horribly for it? There were 3 main reasons for that: 3 debutantes outside January camp from MLS in 5.5 years, missing out on the Olympics twice, and wasting an entire senior tournament of 6 games in the b-team Gold cup for golden integration opportunity. Even if we weren't victorious in this one, we'd have a 2nd bite of the apple in 2 years. Our #1 priority far and away should be positioning ourselves to do well in the World Cup. That means outside major competitions like qualifying for it, the 1st GC of the cycle, and Copa Americas (when they occur); our primary objective in them should be fact-finding.

As far as your proposed lineup goes, I think that's a pretty good balance between promising prospects and vets currently on the fringes. Just have some issues with a couple of the player selections and usages. Playing RImando, Gonzo, and Zusi doesn't really tell us anything. Whereas starting players like Besler and Lichaj could reaffirm they are a-team caliber. Hyndman has established he's not a winger. He did that in Olympic qualifying. Morris I think has done that for Seattle. He can't use his left foot and he's not intricate enough, especially bossing opposition like we should be doing most of the time in this tourney. And Gonzo demonstrated he couldn't play an outside center back spot against Costa Rica, which should have been foreseen, frankly. If you're insistent on playing that formation for some reason, that shouldn't be the personnel. Off the top, Green should be attacking left wing, maybe Nagbe other side, Hyndman cm in front of Dax, Roldan could be wing back on one side with Arriola on the other, RCB should be Hedges, and Hamid in goal. Too bad about Lletget because I'd like to see him as one of the a-wings in that formation. We are lean there. So maybe this wouldn't be the way to play.

Excellency repped this.
  4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 things.
    1. You are correct, if the same team wins both GCs then there is no CCAF Cup.

2. You are in luck... I read somewhere that the CONCACAF President is interested in renaming and rebranding our region.

skim172 and FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  5. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Exactly. I do not see this as a secondary Gold cup.

Mexico probably have enough strength in depth to be competitive with a b team. I cant see the other concacaf nations going with weakened squads. At least not the nations that feel they have a competitive shot at winning.

Maybe we can rest some players for the group stages and add vets after the groups stages if it looks like we need it. I think we need to really look at taking any advantage if we can. Especially if Mexico is bringing the b team. This will open up more opportunity for young players in the next gold cup after this, if we are to win.

Footsatt repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I could see playing another keeper. Remember, the value of a 3rd goal keeper at WC is that he actually knows what he is doing and makes routine saves. He probably comes in after #1 gets injured and #2 pulls a red card and misses a game and #3 has to come in for the R16 game. If we don't get the guy ready now, when will we?

Gonzo - you want one vet in the back line. Gonzo needs to be in the pool. When Klinsmann put Gonzo in as a 3rd cb against Portugal he looked around and wondered what he was doing there. I'd rather not make the same mistake twice. Doesn't Gonzo play in a 3cb line for Pachuca? They played in the concacaf cl final last nite. How did he do?

Zusi is there to to do the right thing when the experiment fails.

In that formation, Hyndman would not be forced to go wide because arriola could do it. When PUlisic played 343 in CL he played more narrow, less sprinting down the touch line which was done by Durm. Hyndman becomes a stand-in for Pulisic, if you will.

I don't know what your views are on Morris but I wouldn't look at how he is playing in Seattle until they get a real right forward. Green has one move and brings the team down below professional grade imo.

Playing Nagbe restricts what we can do too much for me.

I don't have a problem with your alternatives. I believe you'll see Hyndman get swamped by good defenses in the position you envision. Roldan can scat around but you want a straight line runner for your wb. Race horse at wb, polo pony in midfield.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You should be Brian's editor: Here is the excerpt on Championship
    Americans have been at the forefront of the promotional race in the English Championship from the start of the season. DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United are favorites to go up. Huddersfield, which is managed by former U.S. international David Wagner, has surprised everyone and will likely be in one of the four playoff positions. The story is the same with Reading and Fulham

He mentions Reading but doesn't attach it to a player whereas he goes on about Ream at Fullham. Sciaretta :notworthy:needs to go back to college for a refresher course

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does Gonzalez play in a three back line? If he plays as the CB his speed may not be a s big a factor than if he is played at RCB where he can be pulled out to the touchline to cover for a rampaging right wingback.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Refresher course? We're talking professional soccer - maybe BS never went to college. :cool:

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  11. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    El Salvador is going to have Rodolfo Zelaya, he was going to be the next big thing after Cienfuegos but he was involved with match fixing in his prime, he is about 30 now, still a very dangerous player, if he has a good tournament, El Salvador is going to be difficult for anybody.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he in this game?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Taken from Hyndmans YA thread...

It isn't some "hypothetically perceived opportunity", but his job that he gets paid for at a critical part of his career. Having been injured this past preseason, Hyndman will no exactly what it means to miss time on the field when there is a fresh slate. The only difference is he would be match fit instead of coming off an injury. Missing over three weeks of preseason seems silly for a player in his situation.

First off, I don't think the world is focused on the gold cup. As a US fan I struggle to stay interested. Things will take care of themselves seems pretty naive to the way top level soccer works. So Bobby Wood isn't a big boy? Luckily for us our previous coach was smart enough to leave him off the team two years ago. Here's hoping Arena can get this one right. I don't see any need for any of our young guys in Europe to be involved in this tournament.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    ---LB--------------CB------RB---
    --Miazga------Brooks------Cameron
    --Ream------Gonzalez----Miazga
    --Parker----Zimmerman---Parker
    --Haaglund-------------------Haaglund

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears we have two threads on this in N and A, I posted this on the other one;

Stars and Stripes offer an early prediction on the Roster:

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/gold-cup/2017/5/1/15438730/2017-gold-cup-usmnt-roster-prediction

Goalkeepers:

Nick Rimando, Bill Hamid, Tim Melia

Defenders:

Matt Hedges, Walker Zimmerman, Eric Lichaj, Greg Garza, Omar Gonzalez, Tim Ream, Timmy Chandler, Jorge Villafaña, Cameron Carter-Vickers

Midfielders:

Michael Bradley, Kellyn Acosta, Emerson Hyndman, Darlington Nagbe, Dax McCarty, Christian Pulisic, Paul Arriola, Sacha Kljestan

I think Kellyn Acosta and Emerson Hyndman will finally get the more extensive first team looks most people have wanted for a while now, and I also think (desperately hope) Paul Arriola takes Alejandro Bedoya’s spot on the national team for good this summer.

Forwards:

Bobby Wood, Jozy Altidore, Jordan Morris, Gyasi Zardes, Dom Dwyer

Bonus Options:

Ike Opara, Tyler Adams, Tommy McNamara

Marko72 repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have it down that if Gonzalez or Zimmerman play in a three back set they aren't fast enough to play the RB position.

17. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I just read that article moments ago and could not understand why the author left out Matt Miaga.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think they are just selling tickets at this stage. Some of those players would be overplayed coming from quali's to Gold Cup, (e.g. C.Pulisic?)

It would be fun to see Miazga. otoh, he was on loan this year so I'd check with his club what their intentions are because getting him a good situation with club is better for everybody.

19. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Sapong is leading scorer in MLS now

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now and then

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is what I've got for the GC. Only carrying over a few players I have on my qualifying roster.

GK: Hamid, Guzan, Steffen
    Defenders: Rosenberry, Lichaj, Hedges, Zimmerman, Palmer-Brown, Parker, Garza, Vincent
    Midfielders: Acosta, Trapp, Roldan, McCarty, Feilhaber, Kljestan, Arriola, Nagbe
    Forwards: Agudelo, Morris, Dwyer, Ramirez

Other contenders: Melia, Ream, Opara, Hagglund, Glad, Farfan, Adams, Hyndman, Carleton (if he starts getting PT, he replaces Kljestan), Zardes, Sapong

Lineup:

Hamid
    Lichaj-Zimmerman-Hedges-Garza
    Trapp-Acosta
    Feilhaber
    Arriola-Agudelo-Morris

rlrcpa repped this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Maybe one off each team (except Montreal) for the USMNT, plus Sargent and Wright:

GK: Rimando, Johnson, Steffen

DF: Hairston, Opara, Spector, Birnbaum, Zimmermann/Hedges, Beasley, Morrow

MF: Nguyen, Sacha, Dax, Cronin, Carleton, Wright, Nagbe, Shea

FW: Wondo, Zardes, Sapong, Sargent. Morris

This wouldn't be my preferred team, but I wondered what one would look like as a starting point.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Hyndman is small, short, and neither skillful nor athletic enough to make up for it.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm not sure he so small/short that he needs to make up for it, but wouldn't his intelligence also help?

Hopefully, we'll have a much clearer view on him this time next year.

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An almost all MLS Gold Cup?