Pre-Game Thread -- MLS Cup 2006 -- 11/12

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Nov 6, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few items are still being finalized before formal announcements, but here's what we have so far. Watch this thread for updates during the week. Please post 'em here if you get 'em first.

What/When

• Houston Dynamo play for the MLS Cup is this Sunday, Nov. 5, at 2:30 pm CT at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco against the New England Revolution.

Discount Tix/Special Activities

TV/Video

• This game will be on ABC - KTRK Channel 13 in the Houston area.

Radio/Audio

• Concierto 850 AM should have the game in Spanish in the Houston area as usual.

And the game...

Well, it’s the championship game.

• Where to view the game on TV in Austin - to follow

[​IMG]

2. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Pre-Game Thread: MLS Cup 2006

The Cup is ours.,all we have to do is drive up to Frisco and claim it !!!

Vamos Dynamo,queremos La Copa !!

3. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    TT's coming to Getcha

Good Luck and lets hope for a high scoring game

where America's Team the Revs win ofcourse:cool:

4. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: TT's coming to Getcha

:rolleyes:

5. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anderson, after doing the labor of love all year and a great job as mod - how f-ing awesome was it to post this thread?

6. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The score will be dynamo 2-0

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    here's one FCD fan who's glad you guys are in the final....played without fear (Colin Clarkes middle fcuking name) played to WIN the game and most impressively was still attacking and winning a corner in the 91st minute while leading by two...!!...

8. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Paint Frisco Orange!!!

9. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thanks for the goodwill.

Now we need to go to Dallas and help them make this the best MLS Cup ever.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Long range weather forecast for Sunday, November 12 in Frisco, Texas:

Sunny
    High 71°F
    Low 45°F
    Wind: SE at 9 mph
    Humidity: 55%
    Chance of Precip: 10%

Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

Should be very nice for the (approx) 3 pm start to the game.

11. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking along the same lines, what a great feeling to see this thread go up - woo hoo!

now I get to start worrying about the actual game - two topics off the top of my head -

1. what will we do re Clark's suspension?

2. what are the chances Dempsey can play?

(and hey anderson, isn't this kind of a divided loyalties game for you, similar to G's games for me this season?)

12. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't have used "advances" though. And "Frisco? I can't get to San Francisco!" was a comment from someone at Mezz last night who thought we were flying to SF for the game.

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Any weather is good weather to win the Cup!

Let's take the cannon!

14. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What about moving Serioux up to midfield(his natural position),and have Cochrane play CB ?

The Dom might give Stuey Holden a chance,and maybe Holden could supply Dalglish with some passes.,After all,Stuey is a Braveheart too.:cool:

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've not watched one minute of MLS since the Quakes were ripped from San Jose amidst the lies and deception of AEG, but I still hope that Houston crush the Revultion. I won't be watching - I have vowed never to support the league in any way until and unless the Quakes return - but good luck to Dom and the boys.

16. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks and sorry, man. You're really missing out on some great soccer, though.

17. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall Dom has done a couple different things with a starting midfielder out this season.

Options at midfield: Holden, Serioux, Barrett
    Davis can play holding midfielder (in fact he did in the 2nd half a bit in game 2 against Chivas, I believe, when we switched to a 3-5-2) I think I recall him being quoted as saying he enjoyed that position -everything coming through him.

If Serioux moves up, then probably Cochrane to take his central defender spot. If Barret moves up then maybe Gray in his spot?

Trouble with moving Serioux up and Cochrane in at the back is that you lose your depth at central defender - after Cochrane it's just Ianni, right?

My choice would be to give Holden the start and have Davis take Clark's role - keep our back 4 intact with the ability to sub in Cochrane if needed.

Of course then we lose our depth in the midfield. Arrrrgh... This sucks more than I thought it would. Why, Brian Hall, why????!!!!! Everyone else you give a warning but Clark (and Mathis, well deserved) you give a yellow. At least Serioux didn't get a yellow, too, I guess.

I guess if you can't count on your rookies in a time of need...well...

I'm baffled. Thank goodness we have Dom.

18. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    I dunno, I think you leave the back line intact and move somebody into Clark's position. What have we done this season when Rico was absent? Anywho, if we leave the backline as it is, then you are only tinkering with the Mids. If you move Serioux up, then you are tinkering with the back and with the mids.

Heck, throw Moreno in and have an all out attack strategy.

19. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom did that one game, actually - Moreno in midfield, I mean. That would give us Wondo and Holden off the bench, which isn't so bad. Though I have to commend Moreno on a supremely excellent cross to Mullan for the 3rd goal. Moreno was, indeed, a supersub last night.

20. Tipperary Inn

Tipperary Inn New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Huge Mls Cup Watching Party Dallas Tx Sunday Nov. 12th

We are having a huge watching party here at The Tipperary Inn (Dallas TX) starting at 2:00pm on Sunday the 12th. We will have free tastings from Peroni beer and Pilsner Urquell starting around this time. The Tipp is also proud to offer our bucket of beer and wings special $9.99 and happy hour specials from 11am-7pm.

A big screen TV will feature the game between the Dynamos and Revolution starting at 2:30p. Please check out our MySpace page for future reference.

www.myspace.com/tipperaryinn

Cheers,

The Tipp

21. Tipperary Inn

Tipperary Inn New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Huge Mls Cup Watching Party Dallas Tx Sunday Nov.12th

We are having a huge watching party here at The Tipperary Inn (Dallas TX) starting at 2:00pm on Sunday the 12th. We will have free tastings from Peroni beer and Pilsner Urquell starting around this time. The Tipp is also proud to offer our bucket of beer and wings special $9.99 and happy hour specials from 11am-7pm.

A big screen TV will feature the game between the Dynamo and Revolution starting at 2:30p. Please check out our MySpace page for future reference.

Cheers,

The Tipp

22. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were a betting man (and I tend to be, but not with my own allegiances), I would count on Dempsey making at least a cameo appearance. His status was uncertain until the eleventh hour for the DC game, and he didn't even travel, minimizing any chance he would aggravate his ankle for the game this week.

The bigger injury questions on our side are:

1. What is Daniel Hernandez's condition? As well as Big Red (Larentowicz) played throughout the season, I trust Danny's free kicks better.

2. Can Noonan be effective over 90? He was great for the first 45-60 yesterday, but it still seemed like he was rather less than fully match-fit as the second half wore on.

23. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A more likely option would be to move Waibel to center back and put Kelly Gray in at right back. Waibel is solid, but Gray has been shaky this year and really hasn't gotten the minutes.

I also am a fan of Goldthwaite. He can take Barrett's spot at left back and then Barrett or Davis could fill in for Clark. Wade used to play DM for SJ way back in the day before he was converted to a LB.

None of these options are spectacular, but at least they have a full week to prepare and try out a few different options.

I think it's most likely that Cochrane starts and Serioux moves up to midfield, but you never know.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Huge Mls Cup Watching Party Dallas Tx Sunday Nov.12th

You posted this in multiple places on our forum and misspelled Dynamo every time.

No "s". Just Dynamo.

25. Tipperary Inn

Tipperary Inn New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Re: Huge Mls Cup Watching Party Dallas Tx Sunday Nov.12th

Whoops!

Thanks for the correction.

Cheers,

The Tipp