Power Ranking of the 32 Teams in Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ghoochannejad ohh oki, i thought he was a start player hehe

2. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Wondering if any Moderator can do so i can "edit" on that post with the players?

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You don't need to edit your post because all the players you mentioned are within the radar and each of them can still be part of Iran's squad. Ghoochannejad certainly has a good chance (50/50) and played (usually as a sub) in several of our qualifying matches and even started in 1-2 games (e.g., against S.Korea in Korea, after we had clinched, but because Azmoun was out due to yellow cards). The reason I say he is 50/50 to make our roster is because he has not done well this season in Holland, while Azmoun's other back ups (Ghoochannejad's competitors) are doing well for their clubs. Still, he could very well make the final cut.

4. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    damn i saw now the teams was written in swedish haha
    ok oki

5. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    #30 HansWorldCup, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    1.GERMANY - Muller, Ozil, Reus, Werner, Boateng, Kroos, Neuer

2.BRAZIL - Neymar, Couthinho, Paulinho, Casemiro, Silva, Luiz

3.FRANCE - Pogba, Griezmann, Mbappe, Konte, Tolisso, Umtiti

4.SPAIN - Ramos, Isco, Silva, Alba, Iniesta, Busquet, Morata, De Gea

5.BELGIUM - Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukuku, Mertens, Witsel, Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois

6.ARGENTINA - Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Dybala, Otamendi, Perotti

7.PORTUGAL - Ronaldo, A Silva, B Silva, Mouthinho, Carvalho, Pepe, Gomez
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.COLOMBIA - Falcao, Rodriguez, Mina, D Sanchez, Cuadrado, Muriel

9.POLAND - Lewandowski, Milik, Krychowiak, Zielinski, Blaszczykowski, Szczesny

10.ENGLAND - Rashford, Kane, Alili, Delph, Henderson, Sterling, Dier

11.CROATIA - Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Mandzukic, Kalinic, Persic

12.SENEGAL - Mane, Balde, Niang, Sakho, Gueye, Koulibaly

13.SWITZERLAND - Xhaka, Rodriguez, Lichsteiner, Shaqiri, Embolo, Schär. Sommer

14.URUGUAY - Cavani, Suarez, Godin, Vecino, Bentancur, Gimenez

15.RUSSIA - Smolov, Kokorin, Dzyuba, Dzagoev, Glushakov, Golovin

16..MEXICO - Hernandez, Jimenez, Herrea, G Dos Santos, Guardado, Lozano
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17.MOROCCO - Hakimi, Benatia, Ziyech, Obbadi, Boufai, Fajir

18.NIGERIA - Mikel, Iwobi, Moses, Musa, Iheanacho, Ndidi

19.DENMARK - Eriksen, Delaney, Poulsen, Wass, Kjaer, Christensen, Schmeichel

20.PERU - Guerrero, Farfan, Flores, Cueva, Carrillo, Tapia

21.SERBIA - Matic, Savic, Maksimovic, Ljajic, Tadic, Grujic. Kolarov

22.SWEDEN - Granqvist, Lindelöf, Ekdal, Lustig, Augustinsson, Guidetti, Forsberg, Durmaz

23.IRAN - Ghoochannejhad, Ghoddos, Hajsafi, Azmoun, Jahanbakhsh. Dejagah, M. Mohammadi, Ansarifard, Taremi

24.JAPAN - Okazaki, Honda, Nagatomo, Hasebe, Yoshida, Sakai, Kagawa

25.EGYPT - Salah, Hegazi, Kouka, Sobhi, ElNeny, El Mohamady, Trezeguet, Ali Gabr

26..ICELAND - B Bjarnason, G Sigurosson, R Sigurosson, Guömundsson, Gunnarsson, Siguröarson.

27.TUNISIA - Khazri, Mskani, S Ben Youssef, Abdennour, Sliti, Khenissi.

28.AUSTRALIA - Rogic, Jedinak, Mooy, Leckie Luongo, Smith.

29.SOUTH KOREA - Son Heung-min, Sung-yueng, Lee Chung-yong, Ji Dong-won, Koo Ja-cheol.

30.COSTA RICA - Campbell, Ruiz, Navas, Borges, Oviedo, Duarte, Gamboa.

31.SAUDI ARABIA - Fahad Al-Muwallad, Mukhtar Fallatah, Mohammad Al-Sahlawi, Salman Al-Moasher,

32.PANAMA - Perez, Diaz, Cooper, G Torres, R Torres, Godoy, Machado,

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    @HansWorldCup

I don't like numerical rankings alone because they distort and exaggerate differences. For instance, putting Poland at #9 and Uruguay at #14 might not mean much if they are both rated similarly but will be entirely off if the 5 places that separate them are similar to the 5 places that separate Spain and Poland in your ranking.

Giving teams grades, and explaining the grades in terms of what differences will mean in likely results (or what the grades mean in overall, descriptive terms) allows us to form a more accurate view of things. Indeed, even FIFA and ELO rankings would be best understood if the points earned were highlighted as often as the simple numerical rank. Not that I think we have reached the point when we can distinguish between sides within say 10% of each other in points. Not to me.

That is the one thing, I suppose, that I wish I could urge posters who rank teams to engage in. Try to describe the teams by giving them a grade - grades that are then susceptible of being checked in terms of some suggestion on how differences should translate in h2h results and/or overall accomplishments or points. Otherwise, I wouldn't know if Poland lose to say Senegal, is that an upset or simply a 50/50 game that ended up with one side winning and the other losing? Similarly, if Iran beats Morocco, would that be a real upset or simply again a more or less 50/50 game one side won? Giving grades IMO is important in this exercise.

7. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    ok, well i have the teams in difference groups, with those -----------------------
    And i just made it for fun and with the players,
    But just because i have a team ranked say as nr 9. ofc thar team can lose to a team ranked nr 27. Othervise it would be pretty boring.
    Senegal and Poland are ranked 12 and 9 and in the same "group."
    i delete it

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The player part was very good. If I understand you correctly, though, you have 6 tiers and basically teams within each tier would be comparable regardless of numerical rank and the differences are more substantial between teams from different tiers even if they rank similarly numerically (e.g., Japan v Egypt)? If so, I am not sure I agree with your divisions as much:)

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    These reports touch on the situation with Shojaie on the one hand, and Ghoochannejad on the other hand, as it relates to making Iran's roster.

I suspect Shojaie will make the roster but:
    http://www.tehrantimes.com/news/420104/Masoud-Shojaei-asks-to-be-included-in-Team-Melli
    Masoud Shojaei asks to be included in Team Melli

I don't agree with this title as I think his case is 50/50:
    https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...-ghoochannejhad-likely-to-miss-2018-world-cup
    Reza Ghoochannejhad Likely to Miss 2018 World Cup

10. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    hehe yea exactly!
    Im not sure i agree with my own either hehe now when i looking at it.
    Russia is a wildcard.
    And i think i want Nigeria in the second tier too.
    I think this world cup is very hard to rank

11. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Shojeai, did he played qualify matches?
    nevermind, read the article
    i dont understand, he played against a isreal club and after that he was kicked out from irans squad?

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    @HansWorldCup ... seeing there's a Roma crest below your name it's a bit odd that you keep omitting Nainggolan o_O

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He played for Iran, sometimes as a sub and other times as a starter. His situation is alluded to in the article I posted.

14. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    yes, i said "nevermind, i read the article" :)

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  15. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018

haha yea but the Swedish league is not so good, we have a team in my city but im not so interesting i n
    our league. I dont follow it so much. But ofc i want the team to win. But im not a big fan.
    And outside Sweden i just follow europe leagues because i love football but i have not a team in my heart so i just choosed Roma, i like Totti hehe

16. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ok sorry,i mssed that.

17. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I don't get it, what are those lists of players supposed to mean? I mean, I see it's a ranking but those players are the most expensive of each team or just what you think are the best of each?

18. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't think Daniel Wass has ever played for Denmark, or if he did it was a long time ago. And it's funny you mention Wass but not Pione Sisto, since they both play for Celta Vigo, but Wass doesn't feature for Denmark while Sisto has played a critical part in our recent success.

19. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It's also a bit funny he puts David Luiz as an important Brazil player (despite he hasn't played in some time for them) and not for example Gabriel Jesús or Dani Alves :ROFLMAO:

20. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    #45 HansWorldCup, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    like i said, probably many errors..
    Sometimes i dont know how to say it in english, hmm everything stands still, so i just tried to write names.

Hayaka repped this.
  21. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Nice analysis.

I don't think this is Messi's last World Cup. He'll be back in 2022 at age 35 as a substitute.