Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This isn't helped by the fact that communication routes do not take into account anything other than cars. You can't really cycle around most American cities, unless you have a death wish or work as a courier. You can't really walk, because they don't even take into account pedestrians walking to their local store.

Enough b... about America.

BocaFan repped this.
  2. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I suggest we read all the bid books before discussions.
    Now all bid books will be open to everybody, we'll see strengths and weknesses and the FACTS.
    We'll also see how to overcome their challenges.
    I see an important x-factor: how much will it cost to host a 48-teams FIFA World Cup and how much will it earn ?

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wouldn't that depend entirely on the country (e.g. some will need to construct several new stadiums from scratch, while others might have the infrastructure more or less in-place before even applying).

In any case, a 48-team WC obviously reduces the number of countries realistically able to host or co-host. I could see it becoming like the Olympics where the event just bounces between a small group of countries. I mean, the Olympics are going from S.Korea this year to Tokyo and then back to Beijing. After that it goes to Paris and LA - because those were the only 2 cities to apply for the 2024 and 2028 Olympics, respectively. lol

Similarly, the WC hosts would be essentially on a 28- or 32-year cycle.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the Flip side:

Assuming the multi-countries Euro is a success in 2020 we could see the same applied for the World Cup on that continent and other continents. Which might make some people here complain about travel issues but I think it would be good for Footballing Nations with prestige that have never hosted World Cup matches to finally have their 15 minutes of fame while sharing the cost with others.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think multi nation bids for a 48 team cup will be a regular feature. The CONCACAF 3 nation bid for 2026 will probably get up, mainly I think because its CONCACAF's turn and they have done the smart thing of including a nation that hasn't hosted before. Morocco would have a better chance down the track if they can include a couple of other North African nations in a future bid (Egypt, Tunisia and Algeria could all host some matches).

6. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I agree. This why Infantino, who worked at UEFA during Platini's presidency, considered the United Bid sent a positive message. He's promoting joint bids which could reduce expenses for one country.

Morocco could also bid jointly with Spain and Portugal. It would make Morocco concentrate on renovating stadia at Marrakesh, Rabat, Fez, Agadir, Tangier and Casablanca. It could also build a 80,000 places stadium at Caablanca.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not that FIFA or UEFA give a shit, but what I don't like about Euro 2020 is that numerous countries get home advantage. Imagine you're in a group of 4 teams and you have to play 2 away matches and one neutral venue match. That puts you at a pretty big disadvantage before a ball is even kicked!

8. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Morocco's best bet is to partner up with a joint Iberian bid because that makes sense but since they are in another Confed I don't believe FIFA will allow it. Teaming up with Algeria and Tunisia could work as a joint North Africa bid. I don't know the political climate in those two countries or what relationship they have with Morocco but that seems like the more likely option.

9. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I've an interesting idea to make the United 2026 bid more compact: clustering cities geographically. I also selected 16 host cities.

Proposed clusters
    Atlantic division: Montreal, NY, Washington DC, Miami
    Central division: Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta
    Southwest division: Dallas, Houston, Mexico City, Guadalaraja, Monterrey
    Pacific division: LA, SF, Vancouver, Seattle

Opening Game: Mexico City
    Semi-finals: Atlanta, Washington DC
    Final: NY

I'm open to any suggestion.

themanlarry repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You left-out the round of 16 and quarter-finals.

Generally I agree with the principle of trying to reduce travel for teams, but the problem is that teams might choose their base before the WC draw is made. For e.g. England might choose a resort in Virginia to base their team, and then a few months later they get placed in the "pacific division"

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I would advise teams to choose their base after the draw (which is 6 months beforehand).

I would keep teams in same region for round of 32 and round of 16.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmm... yes! That would work. You can keep the 4 regions as the other poster had them for the R32 and R16.

But then (i.e. at the quarterfinal stage) you would have to re-define the regions otherwise you encounter the 2 problems that existed in WC 2002 (i.e. the 4 best teams in the world might all be stuck in the same division together creating imbalance, and you can encounter a team that you had in your group in the QF stage).

So even if you were in the Atlantic quadrant you could get moved to the west coast for your quarterfinal. (But then you could ensure that team would play at least 2 games on the west coast so they aren’t continually going back and forth).

IOW, you break-up the last eight teams into 2 regions:
    West: Quarterfinalists #1-4
    East: Quarterfinalists #5-8

With the winners of each region meeting in the WC final. :geek:

themanlarry repped this.
  13. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Or just accept that there might be more travel for the quarter finals and on. But no region names. Just regional scheduling.

themanlarry and jagum repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    L.A. City Council President:
    L.A. won't bid on 2026 World Cup
    http://lat.ms/2BhABfE
    4:43:45 PM

so either New York or Chicago get the final

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they will come to some sort of compromise in the Los Angeles area.

If not, then it may have to be NY/NJ since Chicago's stadium is too small

16. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    In his speech, Gulati showed 26 host cities. It seem six potential cities were not selected:
    • Charlotte
    • Detroit
    • Las vegas
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • Tampa

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    omitting las vegas is huge surprise for me, especially with all those hotel capacities and "additional arguments" they have :D

NaBUru38 repped this.
  18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, maybe heat even though they will play inside, they will practice outside. Probably the same reason Phoenix didn't make cut either. Off that topic but looking at the proposed stadiums only Azteca is larger than any of the American stadiums. Plus they left off 14 other NFL stadiums that are all similar size. Wild.

19. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    yepp, probably because of desert heat. or the cities simply did not approve/sign the FIFA contract

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe those are the reasons.
    It could be also the simple fact that Vegas has never hosted any major futbol tournaments. Heck, they have never hosted any major professional (team) sports tournaments whatsoever. The biggest events they have hosted are what? Boxing? UFC? Some college basketball conference tournament games?

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but they aren't hosting the entire WC just a few game. They have a stop on the PGA Tour and a NASCAR track. Plus they now have an NHL team and will soon have an NFL team. In addition to being the home of UFC and many notable boxing matches. Vegas is no stranger to hosting sporting events.

Plus it's just a cool city to visit. I wonder if the gambling may be a factor as well.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That all might be true but it would be a bit odd to have the World Cup played in a city that has no futbol or FIFA connections at all.
    No Gold Cup games, no Copa America games, no Word Cup qualifiers, not even an MLS franchise.

There are many other cities that are used to hosting such soccer events and have MLS connections.

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is FIFA. Wtf is tradition? Money is the language. The profit factor will always be prioritized over history or connections.

They’re hosting a WC in Qatar, for crying out loud!

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #1599 BocaFan, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    lol True. Although I'm not sure LV would generate any more money for FIFA than some other US city. I mean, it is relatively tiny compared to most (all?) of the other candidate cities in the U.S.

Personally I'm not shedding major tears. LV is not that great if you're not that into gambling. Wander 100 meters off of the strip and its basically a dump.

onefineesq, AlbertCamus and themanlarry repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When it comes to the US Bid it and their decision on cities has more to do with the US Soccer federation and their priorities.
    Not FIFA's necessarily.