Post-Olympics Player Pool Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Aug 12, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's hard to stick a knife in Ellis on this big day in her recovery BUT they had Ohai talk with reporters at the NWSL media day today and she mentioned that she got the news two weeks ago about the call in. She also said it wasnt Jill Ellis who called her. Maybe Ellis was low on minutes :whistling:

Semblance17 repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who called the others? Any evidence?

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She tried to reach Kealia at the customer service call center (for whatever airhead reason), and couldn't get a hold of her as she was transferred around from one call center rep to another, and then back to the original call center rep...

4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pleased to see that Jill Ellis took our advice ;)

Except for Menges not being there and Mathias being there. I like Mathias. She seems like a good utility player to me...works very hard and tough as nails. At R and L back, both Klingenberg and O'Hara seem a little soft on defense to me, so maybe Mathias works at that position. A long shot, to be sure.

I'm curious about why some NT players were picked for the squad and some were not.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    They might rotate them. Some regulars get a call up now and some later on. Lloyd already mentioned in some interview she won't be participating in the next camp.

lil_one and jackdoggy repped this.
  6. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Looks like Ellis hasn't been impressed with Lavelle so far this year easier.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If she didnt call any of them it's just as bad. Maybe she doesnt touch base with the usual suspects but I would think anyone getting a "rest" or first timers rate a call from the coach.

8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Don't know about the others, but Brian wasn't personally called up by Sermanni either.

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Picayune. CS. Trivial. Insignificant.

How do you feel about her hair stylist, the car she drives, the wrapping paper she buys at Christmastime?

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would think Swanson broke the news but maybe not. I know Morgan has mentioned Sundhage called her before her first camp. What the hell does Ellis do with her time?

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why from the coach and not from someone else on the staff?

12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    No, it wasn't Swanson. It was someone from the staff.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont know...nice personal touch. This isnt Walmart...there r only 24 players and only 11 r new....Something like Hi, this is Jill Ellis. Congratz on a great club season. We'd like to invite u to our next camp.

Semblance17 and skybolt repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's amazing. How the hell do these people justify their time?

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I think 1 college student was called into camp. Rose has been in three camps and it's in the middle of the season.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Three were called up but I agree this isnt the time to call up college players. But I actually could have seen Lavelle brought in for the Minnesota part of the camp and Hatch just in for the Utah part of the camp. Dont really get bringing in two Stanford players at this point especially if the Nov friendlies r on the west coast.

17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    right...my bad.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis is at the NWSL championship and was interviewed by media during halftime:

FawcettFan14 and Namdynamo repped this.
  19. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Have to say I'm impressed with Jill Ellis' statements post-Olympics in regard to rebuilding a new WNT for 2019.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Allocated players for 2016
    Boston Breakers Whitney Engen
    Chicago Red Stars Julie Johnston, Alyssa Naeher, Christen Press
    Houston Dash Morgan Brian, Carli Lloyd
    FC Kansas City Sydney Leroux, Heather O’Reilly, Amy Rodriguez, Becky Sauerbrunn
    Orlando Pride
    Ashlyn Harris (USA), Alex Morgan (USA)
    Portland Thorns FC Tobin Heath, Lindsey Horan, Meghan Klingenberg
    Seattle Reign FC Megan Rapinoe, Hope Solo
    Sky Blue FC
    Kelley O'Hara, Christie Rampone
    Washington Spirit Crystal Dunn, Ali Krieger
    Western New York Flash Jaelene Hinkle, Samantha Mewis

So that's 23 plus Allie Long minus the four in red

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. If you take out the pregnant players and the ones in red (on their way off the NT), you could make the case that the NT players are really important to the quality of the team:

Boston -- 0
    Chicago -- 3
    Houston -- 2
    FCKC -- 1
    Orlando -- 2
    Portland -- 4
    Seattle -- 1
    Sky Blue -- 1
    Washington -- 2
    WNY -- 2

23. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But apparently having players on US Olympics team doesn't matter

WNY -- 0 :whistling:

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a heads up from a reliable source well before Thursday, so my heart palpitations were tempered. Biggest trick was not screaming in delight about it every day for two weeks, either here or on twitter.

I WAS surprised how early it was announced though... anticipating just before/during/after the NWSL title game, some time yesterday when no school or work & everybody was focused on WoSo. Everybody was caught off guard when they decided to do it midday in the middle of NWSL Championship Media Day.

I didn't really cry when I found out, but I did when I was watching my tweet deck feed & seeing everybody comment, adulate, & congratulate. It's been a long time in coming & it got to me.

It seems I'm not the only one surprised to see Mathias... I think if the roster had been put together AFTER the last game of the season (Sun, 9/25) I would have to think Ellis would have been put off by Mathias' performance vs Kealia. That being said, I think the roster was finalized the week before (week of/after NED game) & it was probably too late to change because preparation details & stuff.

Dahlkemper, Gilliland, Colaprico all well deserved call ups... although I'm not ready to jump on the Colaprico train quite yet. Seems to me shes a great defender with excellent anticipation, but in the last couple of games I've keyed in on her the ball distribution & possession stats were not there. Quite bad, actually... so it surprises me just a bit Colaprico is getting another look when someone who has excellent distribution skills like Vanessa DiBernardo doesn't... for the same reason I'm surprised Morgan Andrews didn't get a look... although it might have been the same reason Lavelle didn't join in... want's to help USC build a NCAA resume. I've forgotten about what Andi Sullivan was all about until this year... seen her play a few times for Standford & the hype is real & warranted. Fantastic player... already on the level of Sam Mewis I think.

I'm still not sold on Lynn Williams... had this discussion already & I came off bitter & resentful... still feel it a bit... wildly overrated imo. Maybe she goes off against Switzerland & Sweden and I eat crow, but I don't think so.

I don't know anything at all about Ashley Hatch or her circumstances, nor have I ever watched her play. NCAA leader in goals, but what kind of competition is she facing? She's not in the Pac-12 or ACC so ... is this a Lynn Williams scoring against Boston situation, or does she have some actually play making & chance creating skills?

Crystal & Kealia back together :cry:

25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't they at least get 0.5 for Mewis being an alternate?