Post-match: Post Mortem USA- EL Salvador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peoresnada

Peoresnada Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    hopefully the US learns something out of this, meanwhile we were considering our 'college' coach to be the next messiah or 'master motivator'...pffft...the sad thing is that in official games, he didn't have the 'opportunity' to face a professional coach like Suarez and/or Tena...learn Sunil, Reyna and fanatics...learn!

2. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I blame whoever put that coach in charge of the under 23 team. Whats up with Adu?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tena has 17+ years of experience, and he was Manager to their Copa America team (a brutal learning experience, three-and-out).

Lucho Suarez has 12 years experience, took Ecuador to the WC06 and the Copa America 07.

That's really the bottom line: some countries take their youth squads seriously enough to give them proper coaches.

4. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah, all of the responsibility for fitness doesn't fall on Porter. It's funny, because past US teams have prided themselves on their fitness, guys like Dolo and Hedjuk could literally run allllll day. I don't think the team was in bad shape, but they definitely weren't in 90 minute shape. Guys like Opara haven't really had a season to gain match fitness in a while. I'm sure this won't be a problem on the senior team, but, at this level, I think the responsibility of having match fitness falls on the individual player and what they were doing with their club, and not so much on Porter.

I'm pretty sure we all knew Shea couldn't last 90 minutes though. He only lasted about 5 against El Sal:rolleyes:

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're so clever.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, playing Xbox all night? :confused:

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Morales was a huge player against Mexico and was sorely missed. Balchan would have been good as well.

Neither Okugo nor Jeffrey (who was the better of the two) could bring any stability to the midfield, and that + fatigue was this team's downfall.

Shea should have been moved to left back.

Gil should have been on this roster.

8. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    you too! shea could start at hoffenheim today, that was downright prophetic

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you know what that word means.

10. colombia10

colombia10 Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Maybe you guys should do this little thing.

It's all fun, most world leagues do it you see.

For talent to develop they must play woo hee.

Especially if they're not good enough to play in the league!

Most countries have this thing called relegation!

It makes teams have to compete throughout the nation!

But it has another interesting relation.

You can have reserve teams that train in their vocation.

Imagine that!

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    burn them all.

12. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, something more frisky.:)

13. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    what exactly did i say to incur the wrath of your razor sharp, sarcastic wit? was it the paragraph on conditioning? did that really get your blood boiling? or was it the observation that shea can't play for 90, and by pretty much everyone's account, had a bad game following the opening few minutes against El Salvador?

1 person likes this.
  14. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    We did not lose to El Salvador, we lost to Canada. Canada was the one who got us in trouble.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wii?

1 person likes this.
  16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think Freddy is suited for RW in a 4-3-3 perfectly well, not as suited as playing AM in a 4-2-3-1 but he can still create a ton of damage. The team just has to adjust to allow more buildup to go through his side. What hurt us is that our #10 was not a #10 except when it came to finishing.

In the second half against El Salvador Okugo did slide back in-between our two CBs and it really helped the team in all phases of the game.

He just played as a RCM carrilero (ala Ramires) for a very good looking DC side. He possibly could have been a great fit for the RCM spot opposite Mix at LCM against Canada as a change of pace to Corona.

Shea has a lot more class than Cruz. I think people are rating Shea against his potential and not his competition.

Eric Wynalda and the Goals on Sunday crew seemed to be faulting non-soccer people for their decision on who to put in charge of the team.

17. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something more steamy.

18. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Live cam?

19. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That too with the lights off.:p

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the US is taking their youth teams the way Bruce/LA takes its international club tourneys?!?! I do not buy it...and least not from the money side..too much of it is thrown at youth teams, especially when compared to most nations in the region.... It is simply a case of incompetence of how to wisely employ it....but yeah, more experienced coaching could have helped...
    If we know Spain/Argentina/Brazil take their youth team seriously and have had some success in WC history and/or Olympics ....there is just no excuse for this collapse, none...

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Good point about finances, especially when you consider the quantities that we're paying Klinsmann and still paying Bradley.

At the same time, this discussion leaves me in the dark about who people think we could realistically have hired for our U23s. It isn't easy to find successful pro coaches in this country who happen to be unemployed. (Mexico's coach wasn't just experienced in his league. He won a lot of games.)

22. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Well if Bradley was still getting paid then he should have been the coach.kidding of course, the politics wouldn't have allowed for that.
    Seriously klinnsman or one of his guys like Vasquez should have taken over.hard lesson to swallow.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States