Post-Match USMNT vs. Cuba 10/11

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Winoman, Oct 11, 2019.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally zero can be gleaned from this match.

Beerholder should’ve brought Hamid and started Arriola (why in DC otherwise).

Our GKs haven’t been world class since Timmy (in his prime) so Hamid wouldn’t be displacing anyone better.

Canada should be a better test (that we will likely lose).

James

ChrisSSBB and Winoman repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you meant confederation, not federation. Because if you really meant federation, it’s an awful, awful post.

But i think you meant confederation.

ChrisSSBB, Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be one of the dumbest things I have EVER read on here. Equating the level of the Thai women's team with the CR men's team. Simply rubbish.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What change in approach?

I have to conclude that you have not watched much USMNT matches. Review Arena's W6-0 over Honduras who finished above us in HEX 2018.

Arena 2017: W6-0 v Honduras

Klinsmann 2016 W6-0 v St Vincent

Klinsmann 2015: W6-0 v Cuba (a Cuban squad that made the knockout round in GC2015)

Namdynamo, DHC1, btlove and 1 other person repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Learn to read.

It's comparing the relative levels of the teams within their respective sports.

Men's Cuba team is tiny, minuscule minnow of small proportions in the Men's soccer game.

Women's Thai team is a fairly decent Women's team that made the Women's World Cup.

So, saying Cuba is as bad as Thailand is silly. Thailand made the World Cup, and Cuba was not even close.

TrueCrew and appwrangler repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    How was this game different than when we beat them 6-0 in 2015 or 6-1 in 2008 or 5-0 in 2003?

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn’t. There are no takeaways.

lmorin, DHC1, btlove and 1 other person repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think that poor 2015 GC team would beat these Berhalter teams.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    7-6?

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played well, but I remain unconvinced of his quality until we actually play a team that makes him defend.

I'm old school, I want a defensive midfielder that can defend. Passing ability is a plus, not the essential part of the position.

Especially so since I remain skeptical of the quality of our center backs.

Namdynamo, butters59, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Australia take delight in beating up American Samoa? There comes a time when the sheer crapitude of the opposition makes it impossible to gauge the quality of our play.
    If General Egg had any brains, he would go with this same line-up [minus Lovitz] versus Canada. Let him see if this group really can be the foundation for the Hex team. But he won't. Yuell will be out, The Love God of Holden will return, Ream will be given the coveted LB spot, Sargent will be benched, Zardes will get to play.
    With Greg, it's all about "My Peep" City.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is crazy talk! There is nothing defensive about our defensive midfielders.

13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My reading comprehension is fine. Now perhaps I didn't state my point clearly enough. Of course we are talking within their respective sports. When it comes to women's soccer Thailand sucks. Don't give me they made the WC. They only make the WC because the women's game is so far behind around the world but FIFA wants to expand so they have more teams at the WC than really have any business being there. CR, in the men's side, is capable of beating many top teams in the world on a given night. Thailand isn't in any way competitive to top women's teams.

If you want to argue that relatively speaking Thailand is better then Cuba ok. But to equate Thailand and women being on par with CR and men is just flat wrong.

Magikfute repped this.
  14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna buy a ticket to the New England Patriots vs Worcester Polytechnic friendly? If Cuba delighted you, then you will be truly delighted.

15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes CONCACRAP, of course. However, I believe our federation voted in favor (like here was anything they could do about it).

superdave repped this.
  16. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Oooh, this is even MORE fun than comparing the MLS to the Championship!

jnielsen repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The players in the Championship are better than the American players in MLS.

18. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't get the negativity on this board. Just what were they supposed to do last night to make some of you happy? 10-0? 20-0? They simply can't win with some folks and when they play a crap team like Cuba I guess its a lose lose. Win and they suck. Lose and they suck.

largegarlic, deejay and wixson7 repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize you made an outraged post based on your own prediction, right? You should wait until a thing has happened before getting outraged about it.
    source/link?

20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking for myself, I am happy we won 7-0. I don't think we sucked. I just don't think it meant all that much.

Namdynamo, striker, USA-Zebuel and 7 others repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Or, we have ALWAYS looks pro-active and skilled when we play against minnows that we crush.

22. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    With these kinds of games it’s nearly impossible to take too many positives away.

If Alabama beats backwoods tech university in football, nobody is going to shower praise on Alabama.

bsky22 repped this.
  23. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    “We have officially moved away from bunker bob”

No coach we have had, or ever will have, would bunker against Cuba. You can’t honestly look at a match against Cuba and make sweeping statements about coaching philosophies coming to fruition lol. Ridiculous. Can’t believe someone would watch this game and say we are “officially” evolving.

24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    For those that stayed after the game...we were treated to amazing access to the subs in full training for at least 30 minutes. Can never over how great professionals are, skill-wise. The intensity and commitment were there as well. It was super cool to watch. Small sided games, rondos, etc. super cool stuff.

And the supporters section was fantastic last night. Stadium ended up with a decent crowd and never gets old watching the US play well.

Side note...walked to bar near Nats stadium and jammed packed bars to watch the last few innings. Overall another fun night.

Magikfute, napper, jnielsen and 11 others repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    cmon. The biggest issue in this thread is that a shill came on to say that this game is proof of Berhalter’s system and that ridiculous comment pushed the pendulum so far In one direction that counter posts were inevitable

Namdynamo, nbarbour, btlove and 3 others repped this.