Post-match: United States v Jamaica Gold Cup Final 7/26

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, nope. Each week there's bound to be at least one snooze-fest in MLS. Especially in the Summer months when the heat slows everyone down. This is true in every league.

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is not the only way.1) Experienced and careful coaches such as BA have a capability of understanding which players might be most helpful at the international level. 2) Those players are brought into camp and evaluated in the camp against players of equivalent or higher level. Those that pass muster make the game day roster. 3) Those that get into games are further evaluated relative to the level of opposition and overall team performance. Some players may need more series of opportunities to impress; some flunk out right away; some pass the retention threshold out of necessity to fill out the roster; some are coaching selection errors. All players need numerous games plus practices in order for the team to meld into a workable unit and some players may not work out not because of skill level, but because they cannot help the team work as a cohesive unit. I am fairly certain that BA knew before the Gold Cup how things would work out for the individuals involved. After all, that is his primary job--to know the players.

deuteronomy and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Been watching a longgg time -- 30+ years. There are ways to talk to refs that don't get you yellows. Other teams do it all the time without any penalty. Michael is just a quieter guy in general from what I can tell. You watch how often the refs were talked to by players during the match, even a bit heatedly, without yellows. You need to pick your times and your messaging, but it is doable.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm surprised you think this. Dax/Acosta/Hedges do well in the MLS season but had trouble in the Golf Cup as the game sped up a bit vs. what they were used to (even though the player quality was MLS level across the board IMO).

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. Other teams. Not the US.

russ repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ayers, Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two take-aways:

(1) Bradley has ice-cold eyes

(2) Howard's beard is getting its first few strands of gray. By Russia we may have to call him Graybeard.

gringolimon repped this.
  8. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    hmmm... :coffee:

Howard the Grey?*
    52 States of Grey?**
    US of Grey?

*Reference to "Howard the Duck" and "Gandalf the Grey".

**Reference to "50 Shades of Grey" and the # of states united in America.

And finally, since they'll be playing in Russia... Father America.

Bajoro repped this.
  9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, 52? Are we getting into Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Washington DC Twilight-zone territory?

Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody ever tabulate the average player ratings for the tourney? It would be interesting to look at. There seemed to be some discrepancy of opinion here how some performed overall. Of course they could be prone to confirmation and recency biases, among others.

11. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Woah! :eek:

I honestly don't know how or why I came up with 52. Hahaha. That's embarrassing. Also, 50 states of Grey runs smoother off your tongue.

That being said, I feel one day (maybe not in our future or our childrens', PR will become the 51st.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's going to be quicker than that. How else will they get those sweet, sweet Federal block grants to pay off their debt?

gringolimon repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He is a muscular lad, especially in the lower body.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking Obama had a gaffe where he said 52 but he actually said he's visited 57 states. Glad my every word isn't parsed by the media.

15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For better or worse, I'm glad they are regardless of who's the current leader of the free world.

Winoman repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well see, that makes some sense if you count ALL of the overseas territories and Puerto Rico as States. Still pretty bad, and yes, on the internet you can make such mistakes. But beware, they will live on BigSoccer forever!!:ninja: