PBP: Post Hudson Era #7 - Rapids host the Loons • 7 pm Sat., June 8

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    It’s nice to see them dominate play both offensively and defensively and score

Sports Yak, zapem_10 and fortcollins repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bazooka Fists or get out :D

zapem_10 and fortcollins repped this.
  3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a steady, balanced half for the Rapids. They played well on both sides of the ball. This looks like a different team.

4. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Will be interesting to see how the 2nd half plays out. Thought Minnesota came out pressing pretty hard in the 1st. Wonder how long their legs will hold up....

5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting rather chippy.

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call on the hoped-for Mezquida goal. Would have loved it, but there was a foul there, so Ref and VAR got it right.

SccrDon, zapem_10, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82nd minute, ball bouncing around in Minn goal area - Kamara just throws himself in and gains possession. It's so fun to see that effort.

zapem_10, Andy126 and fortcollins repped this.
  8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 minutes of added time?

Andy126 repped this.
  9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed a bit much....

Andy126 repped this.
  10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-G-L-Y but three points!

11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Well fought and well deserved!!

Good job

Sports Yak, zapem_10, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 28/18 = 1.555 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining)

Kroenke Line: 14/18 = 0.778 PPG (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). The Spoon leader is currently on pace for 23.5 points. The Rapids are now well off the pace for the Spoon.

Hudson Line: = 0.000 PPG (no more points in 18 remaining matches), measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The current record is 16 points, held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013).

Rapids: 4-9-3, with 15 points in 16 matches = 0.938 PPG, on pace for 31.9 points for the season. This is remarkable after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.125 goals per match (34 goals in 16 matches) on pace to surrender 72 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids are no longer on pace to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Hudson: 0-7-2, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12

Casey: 4-2-1, 1.857 PPG in 7 matches. 13 GF (1.857 avg), 10 GA (1.428 avg), Diff = +3

SccrDon, zapem_10, Rod1916 and 4 others repped this.
  13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 fortcollins, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    There's no mistaking the turnaround under Casey. I keep repeating this, but this looks like a completely different team. After being a lock for the worst team in MLS history under Hudson, the Rapids now would have to go 0-18-0 to achieve that dubious distinction.

EDIT: Under Casey, the Rapids have improved a net of over 1.6 goals per game compared to Hudson

Sports Yak, SccrDon, zapem_10 and 4 others repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Did security policies change? Seems like the bag policy changed, then it seemed like there were more security people walking up an down the aisles.

Then I noticed C38 behind the south goal looked a lot thinner than usual, and wondered if something happened there as well.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, nothing happened in 117 tonight.

Totoro repped this.
  16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Glad they were able to keep Quintero mostly under wraps. I guess the league is on to his long chips.

Remarkable to win a game like that with the way the D has been this year. The Rapids didn't get that much going on the attack.

Rapids successful passes in the attacking half (this leaves out the long Howard pass late in the game that bounced past everyone to Nicholson for the volley):

[​IMG]

Andy126 repped this.
  17. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably close to our best starting lineup this year. Get Lewis in there for Nicholson when he returns.

Andy126 repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Prior to the match I thought the Rapids would win, but didn't think it would be 1-0, especially with the goal coming in the first half. Kudos to the Rapids for taking advantage of a set piece and then doing just enough defensively to limit the Loons' opportunities.

Once again, Abubakar set the tone with his relentless physical play a well as breaking up plays, etc. The rest of the team pitched in as well just making it very difficult for MN to get a shot off or complete a dangerous pass in the box. Earlier in the season this wouldn't have happened.

Both teams really compressed their lines near midfield but MN did a better job ofr getting in the attacking third in the first half. The Rapid were not able to take advantage on the flank as they had in recent matches.

Can't say enough about the attitude and commitment of the players and coaching staff right now.

fortcollins, Andy126, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  20. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just cant say enough about how solid of a guy Kamara has been for us. This locker room could have gone to sh*t. He has been a huge part of the turn around culture. Kudos.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know.....this thing called winning, it’s a great feeling. Lately, i haven’t walked into DSGP anticipating the worst. I can have a beer and not feel like I’m drowning my Rapids sorrow. I can enjoy my beer. I can cheer and not silently jeer. I can enjoy my Rapids. I can get use to this!

fortcollins, Andy126 and Rod1916 repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Andy126, TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  23. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They changed the bag policy at the beginning of last season. They sent out a message that they were going to be moving to the league wide policy but then didn’t really enforce much last season. It does seem this season they have been more strict on bag size.

Totoro repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    This game was the first I've seen it and I always go in the same gate (I forget which, it's the main one on the east side). I hate when security is inconsistent about their policies.

I had a rapids baseball cap on, one guy asked me to lift it so I he could look under it. WTF did he think I was hiding?

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Hair??