PBP: Post Hudson Era #6 - Rapids host newcomers FC Cincinnati - Sat., June 1 - 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 30, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Note that kicks off at 6:30 pm for whatever reason. It appears the Rapids have gone quickly from the team everyone wants to play to the one no one wants to play.

Wonder if we'll see Howard in the nets ;).

Don't forget to wear your white kits.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The Rockies pull that except with purple, but at least they've had purple in the uniform for a long time. I've been buying burgundy for years, so burgundy is what they'll get.

3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    My pre-game thoughts for this match against the "Toothless Lions"

The Good:
    • Rapids are on a 3 game unbeaten streak. Winning away at LA Galaxy, Winning at home against Columbus, and grabbing a Tie against Philadelphia. All good, solid results against good teams

• Rapids have scored in every home game this season, and are averaging 2 goals per home game

• Cincinnati has been held to 1 goal or less in 7 of their 8 away games (in four of those games they scored a big fat 0). They are averaging 0.6 goals per game in away matches
      - Cincinnati is also allowing 2 goals per game on the road

• The team has showed a lot of resilience and fight in the matches since firing Hudson. Morale seems to be running high in the locker room

• Abubakar doesn't face any loan restrictions, and is available for selection on Saturday

• Kamara, Nicholson, and Price are all fully rested. Lewis played limited minutes on Wednesday

• FC Cincinnati are in the midst of an abysmal stretch of matches. Their record in their last 10 Matches is: 1W - 8L - 1T
      - 4 goals for
      *2 of those goals came in their lone win
      - 20 goals against

The Bad:
    • The Rapids defense is still the Rapids defense and is averaging 2.7 goals allowed in home games this season

• Rosenberry and Acosta have gone the full 90 in both games on Saturday and Wednesday.

• FC Cincinnati has Fanendo Adi and Darren Mattocks. Even though they haven't done well this season, if those guys get hot against us, it could bode poorly for our outlook on the game, especially given our potentially depleted defensive options

• Greg Garza plays RB for Cinci. He's got speed, and awareness and can keep pace with a lot of people in the league
      **Caveat: He also likes to press high on the field, so this could be good for counterattacks, pending on how they lineup/play**

• FC Cincinnati are playing on full rest, Rapids will be playing their 3rd game in 7 days - with a midweek travel to the east coast in the middle of it

• Ted Unkel is reffing the game

The Ugly:
    • Did I mention Ted Unkel is reffing the game?

The Interesting:
    • FC Cincinnati got the "new coach" bump in their win against Montreal by a score of 2-1 on May 11. They have since lost their next two games prior to this match by a combined score of 7-1

• Rapids lost their first two games with the "new coach" bump, but have done well since

Prediction?

Rapids win 3-1 after conceding the first goal. Cincy comes out swinging, but Rapids slow things down, regain control of the match and tie right before half time on a counter attack. Unkel then hands out a questionable red card to Cincy early in the second half, and it's all Rapids after that.

Kamara (twice) and Lewis score for the good guys. Mattocks scores for the bad guys.

**Backup prediction is that Unkel gives us the questionable red card early in the 2nd, and Rapids lose 2-1 after holding on for the majority of the game, but dropping the points due to short rest**

Rod1916, Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good info. Unfortunately I can't make this game. Weather looks great. Wish I could be there. enjoy those who can go.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I just realized that this game is last versUS last. (East versUS west). And if we win we'll be behind in the wooden spoon race.

Andy126 and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  6. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This one is for all the marbles, or, in this case, all the wooden spoons in the world.

Despite the grueling schedule, I'm getting the feel the Rapids see this run as a finger in the eye of Hudson, who made everyone's life miserable for so long. The boys will suck it up on a warm summer evening.

Rapids 2-0, with Nicholson and Acosta scoring the goals.

Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    How many goals are the Rapids giving up when Abubakar's in the lineup? Excluding his first match when Sebastian Anderson has some issues they are giving up 0.5 ga with Abubakar as a center back pairing with Smith - IIRC.

Good point. Maybe Acosta starts out on the bench in this one with Wilson (or Bassett) pairing with Price as a holding mid. The likely option in place of Rosenberry would be Anderson.

I think the Rapids could put in more than two goals in this match.

Andy126 repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    That theIR seems a little passive/aggressive for some reason. ;>)

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win, goals by Kamara and Nicholson. Yes, for the first time in a while I'm actually predicting a win. Cinci does not have a good offense and we actually do, while both defenses suck. But I think on the road they wilt at altitude and we get enough to get the 3 points and pass them in the table, finally getting out of last place.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2019/05/wkrpfc.html

Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I know it's been a couple years but too bad Omar's not still on Cinci. It would be great to see him again and give him another cheer.

11. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    First game this season that I’m genuinely excited to attend.

2-0 win for the home team. Combination of the Abubakar factor, Cincy’s poor offense and altitude produce a clean sheet. Why not?

Goals by Smith and Kamara.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I'm guessing they don't risk it with Lewis for this match.

upload_2019-5-31_21-7-4.png

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's still working for the team though.

14. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He pulled it against philly. I noticed he was playing very gingerly afterwards.

JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I noticed this as well. It was 90° or so at kickoff in Chester, PA which probably didn't help. Also, IIRC I seem to have noticed he was looking a little lame at one point late in the match v the Crew and was wondering if he could finish the match.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting that they weren't leaving Cincinnati until Friday afternoon. On a commercial flight that left margin for error. Also, why is traveling to Denver for a match any more difficult than other relatively long flights? - Dry climate? Altitude?

"As if traveling to Denver for a match isn't already difficult enough"

Andy126 repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    On Wednesday Casey made selection and tactical decisions that worked to get the team a result in Chester. Now it will be interesting to see the formation/tactics election for tonight's match. Certainly Price, Nicholson and Kamara will start having not traveled to PA. But what about players like Acosta who are integral to the team and went the full 90 on Wednesday? And of course there's injury to Lewis that might require caution.

I'm guessing CC will go with a 4-2-3-1 and will really try to run at and tire out Cincinnati. If Lewis can't go would be put Serna out wide?

Andy126 repped this.
  18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I suspect they meant playing in denver is tough. Altitude, etc.

If not, they are mistaken. I travel a lot and find most of my delays are not denver related.

fortcollins repped this.
  19. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting at Aurora Sports Park while waiting for my match to restart due to a lightning delay. I am scheduled to be done reffing at 530, planning to head to DSGP after. Perhaps the Rapids will be delayed as well and I can actually get to see the match.

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The train at the airport takes a long time. The escalators too.

21. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players keep sneaking off to the pot dispensaries?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And boy, let me tell you, if you get lost and end up in the alien bunker it's gonna be a while.

AlbertCamus, SccrDon and fortcollins repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    And you have to fly uphill. It takes a toll.

AlbertCamus and fortcollins repped this.
  24. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And all that construction in the terminal. Not sure if they will even wake up in time for the game.

AlbertCamus repped this.