PBP: Post Hudson Era #5 - Rapids @ Union 5:30 pm MT, Weds., May 29

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 28, 2019.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Is there any chance that the Rapids try to purchase Abu from the Crew and the Crew agree to a price?

Sports Yak repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard that was the plan all along, the loan was just agreed on to get something done by the deadline. Of course, the better he plays the more that price may go up.

Andy126 and Centennial repped this.
  3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    [emoji106]

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elliott looks like an axe murderer

Andy126 repped this.
  5. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Need to stop those back passes

6. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union is slow in attack. Fortunately for us. Teams have killed us this season by moving the ball and/or attackers quickly and Philly is attacking slowly in straight lines.

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Are we satisfied if we tie? Need wins to make play-offs,

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Good job!

One point at the home of the second in the east when you are dead last.

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm thinking that's a bad tie for them.

Deep Wilcox, fortcollins and SccrDon repped this.
  11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result. Abu or Acosta MOTM for me.

(I think first in terms of guys who've gone the full 90)

Andy126 and rapidogordo repped this.
  12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Spurs 3-2. Can't wait for that one.

13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 34/20 = 1.700 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining)

Kroenke Line: 20/20 = 1.000 PPG (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). The second place team in the Spoon race is currently on pace for 26.9 points. The Rapids still lead the race for the Spoon by two points.

Hudson Line: = 0.300 PPG (no more than 6 points in 20 remaining matches), measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The current record is 16 points, held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013).

Rapids: 2-9-3, with 9 points in 14 matches = 0.643 PPG, on pace for 22 points for the season. They already completed the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history. The Rapids are no longer at risk for the worst first half of a season.

Rapids: surrendering 2.36 goals per match, on pace to surrender 80 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018).

jrowe13 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rapids were the better team. Rosenberry had one missplay and they buried it. But Rapids controlled the play overall. Good job.

Andy126 repped this.
  15. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Tie is a great result considering the lineup. Rapids were bailed out by some poor finishing, but it was the same story on the other side.
    Shinyashiki did a lot of things right, held up the ball, got into the box, got the assist and played defense.

wormhole, Andy126, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 0.181 PPG. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12

Casey: 2-2-1, 1.400 PPG. 9 GF (1.800 avg), 9 GA (1.800 avg), Diff = 0

COMtnGuy, Andy126, Totoro and 1 other person repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being dead last is now within reach.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Nice, another non-loss, and with a patchwork lineup.

I can't tell if Abubakar is really good or just competent, and seems to be defender of the yearish compared to all the other guys. I'm thinking more competent, since he was available.

Rosenberry seems decent so I was disappointed by his overplay leaving a huge hole behind him.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Wow - Great result, especially given the situation. Mid-week, away, different formation than the previous to matches, and no Kamara, Price or Nicholson. When I saw the formation and selection I figured the plan was to just get out of Chester without giving up a zillion goals and with several key players rested for Saturday. Fortunately, the CC & Co. had a different idea and it seemed to work.

Since the time CC has taken over and had a bit of time, it seems that the side is playing with a lot of confidence in each other and their ability to produce when really needed.

Yes, tonight they were a tad lucky in not giving up more goals, but they were more than competent for much of the match and took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself.

Abubakar seems to set a record for blocks and broken up plays ever time he's on the pitch for the Rapids. He's not perfect in his decision making, but boy does he disrupt the attack at just the right moment. He is making a huge difference thus far.

How about Lewis? He, like Abubakar, has been invaluable thus far. He volleyed the ball off of Shinyashiki's pass perfectly in many ways. Wow. He is making a case for the Gold Cup roster.

The Rapids are playing with a lot of confidence and belief in the system. It's a pleasure to watch.

fortcollins, COMtnGuy, wormhole and 4 others repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Apparently, this can be traced to Jurgen Klopp ;).

21. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    This post aged well.

22. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Great result. Fun and entertaining match to watch.

- Lalas Abubakar is the Conor Casey-era Team MVP. This is inarguable. The guy is everywhere, always breaking up plays and seems to be making damn near a goal a game difference on defense. That's no small feat. I also get very excited about the (eventual) prospects of an Abubakar/Kort Ford CB pairing.

- Jonathan Lewis is the most electric Rapids player that I can remember watching in a long while. I predict he will net our first big European transfer fee...and possibly sooner than we'd like if he keeps playing this. Kid has game and wheels.

- Padraig Smith deserves credit for the Abubakar and Lewis signings. They have been significant, immediate difference makers.

- The more I see it the more I like Acosta playing back deep, using his athleticism to cover ground, his instincts to pick his spots on when to press forward, and his sold passing ability to open things up deeper out of the back.

- I want more Shinyashiki, less Diego Rubio. Rubio is a constant hothead/diver that's produced very little so far. On the flip side, Shinyashiki seems to always be around the ball, making a clever pass, causing problems in the box, even playing defense. Just seems like a smart player who's always causing problems in dangerous spots. He had that beautiful assist tonight to Lewis.

- Deklan Wynne is officially terrible. This is also inarguable. During the Hudson era, we were SO bad that it was hard to identify where to place the blame. Hudson's lineup and formation decisions were SO inconsistent and we were getting beaten SO thoroughly that it was hard to identify: Are the players this bad? (which I never really bought into) Or are they just lost and always tactically out of position because of a s**tty Coach making a year and half's worth of s**tty decisions every week? In my opinion (and so far the results have proven this), Connor Casey's lineups and tactics have made much more sense, been more clear cut, and the players are responding to them. We actually look like a professional soccer team full of professional soccer players now that they're playing positions they're comfortable with, in a formation they understand....which is why Deklan Wynne is now so clearly standing out for being so bad. In the chaos that was the Hudson era, everyone looked bad. Now he clearly stands out. I'm so tired of seeing him give up 3' - 4' on the ball, back pedal and then just get badly beat every time anyone comes near him, or hearing the announcers talking about "Wynne being badly out of position on that one." As other positions appear to be rounding into form, LB appears to be a gaping hole now more than ever.

23. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Makes me wonder if he wanted that demotivational whining excuse of a coach to be canned prior to bringing in players that would save his Arse for yet another dismal year.

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  24. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't think that would be the case. Sounds like the Lewis thing was planned for later, but the hand was forced. They also realized they needed CB help immediately and tried to move fast. Likely not timed to Hudson leaving, but was a fortunate coincidence.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because it couldn't be that he just did something good or anything. I'm really starting to miss the days when I was the cynical one around here...

wormhole repped this.