Post Game US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He may also simply not rate him as highly as the others and felt time in the system together was the priority.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    @manq360 it looks like the quote function got mixed up... you may want to fix your post???

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    LOL. What TA and WM are are kids who are playing at an elite level and above the TFC and Crew level although below Barca and RM.

It's funny how the tables have turned - you have been on record as saying that MB is elite at all these things and far better than these young players. When I simply pointed out that their specific skill level on these metrics could be equal to MB/WT, now you've changed what I've said to "they're better at all things soccer."

Nice.

btlove repped this.
  4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Delayed response, but I am not sure what more he could have done.

-Seemingly communicated and organized the backline.
    -solid distribution (perhaps one or 2 misguided passes that amounted to nothing
    -shut outs
    -some solid saves

I didnt see any gaffes or weaknesses in these 2 games at all.

5. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    One has to wonder. What is the requirement for being part of the culture? Do you have to be well versed in Crosswords?

When he says 'fit the system'. It means I have to like you. Berhalter is nailing the politics down.

I also happen to believe the 'you have to be willing to learn....' was aimed at Pulisic. Coincidence they just sat him down for year?

This is going to be an interesting.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    For the record that was tongue in cheek. Just playing with you

DHC1 repped this.
  7. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    To piggy back on this. The save vs Panama really changed that game. Had Panama scored there could have been an interesting game. They really should have scored, too.

8. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Joking aside - I do think you have an idealized view of the kids and an overly dismissive of Trapp and Bradley. There is some middle ground there. It’s ok to acknowledge Yedlin is better at some things than Pulisic without saying Yedlin is a better player than Pulisic.

I think you’re using a broad brush due to their youth, potential, hype and the current league (which is a largely part of their youth and potential).

lmorin repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Well played! I took the bait....

Pragidealist repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So just because there weren’t other options used we can’t judge Trapp’s contribution? Has that stopped you and others from doing that? What about at keeper? Can we judge Steffen’s contribution to the defense under Sarachan?

There were 11 games under Sarachan from Trapp’s initial game under Sarachan (there was one game against Portugal he wasn’t called for) until the end of Sarachan’s tenure, we didn’t allow more than two goals with Trapp in the game. In those 11 games, Trapp only didn’t play in two of them, one of which was the only game under Sarachan we gave up more than 3 goals. We have given up 9 goals in 811 minutes with Trapp in the game since we’ve failed to qualify for the WC. That’s under a goal per 90 minutes, and some of those games were against good/very good teams (France, Brazil, England, Italy, Mexico, Peru).

We don’t know if another player would do better, but we do know that the defense has given up very few goals with Trapp as the holding mid. We also know that the years prior to using Trapp, our defense was leaking goals. I don’t think Trapp is the only reason or main reason for the difference, but saying that he’s bad defensively isn’t backed up by any statistical data. In fact, the statistical data contradicts it.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps. I don’t think WT and current MB are elite (relative to the best in the world) at anything although they have their own relative strengths and weaknesses. MB was top .1% in ground covered but that was a while ago.

I do fundamentally believe that if WT had elite characteristics couple with adequate other skills, he’d be playing at a much higher level. I think he may have some upside in where he could compete but as usual water finds its level and that’s meaningfully below where TA and WM play.

I am very defensively focused admittedly.

Pragidealist repped this.
  12. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #312 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Im just going to stick to the original point. I didnt say anything about not being able to judge Trapps contributions. Essentially that is what we are kind of doing, right?

'We didnt allow more than 2 when he was on the pitch'..... is a fairly low bar. Also, neglects to tell the full story. An example is the Italy game where Trapp didnt start but we conceded when he was on the pitch. Should he get credit for that by your standards?

Im going to compare 2 losses. Ill leave out England and Brazil. Colombia, he played no part.

Italy, a game he didnt start we lost 1 nil (I actually forgot he didnt start in my last post). Plus we didnt concede until Trapp was on the pitch. No, im not blaming him. But by your logic he should get credit, yes?

Ireland, he starts we concede 2.

Italy are traditionally more difficult an opponent and it appears we coped better defensively with Delgado on the pitch.

Ireland are probably considered less of a threat and we conceded 2. Trapp played 90 mins and I specifically remember Burke abusing the spaces he was supposed to man.

This is just 2 quick examples.

13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    My take on the culture is, based upon some of his comments earlier (I believe he talked about how important it was for him to play for the national team), I believe he primarily is talking about actually wanting to play for the USMNT for the "right" reasons. You can be born and raised abroad, for example, but you have to want to play for the US (prime example Thomas Dooley). In addition, I believe he wants players that will play for his teammates.

When I hear "fit the system", I don't hear "I have to like you", I take it literally...he has a system that the USMNT will play under and you have to fit that system. ie If he is going to rely on an outside defender to go into attack and provide goals and assists, you are at a disadvantage if you don't fit that profile; have a leg up if you do.

I have absolutely no opinion on Pulisc's lack of willingness to learn. I suppose it is possible but I have seen nothing to imply that is the case. I do believe that it is something he wants to emphasize to ALL the new players that he expects them to try to learn/adjust to the concepts and tactics that he will employ....many of which will be new for most of our players. (See RB). Apparently he is extremely detail oriented and he expects the players to understand and execute the details.

14. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I actually meant fit the culture rather than fit the system. I agree about him wanting players to fit the system. All coaches want players to fit their tactics For the most part.

15. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't pretend to have sophisticated opinions about what tactical formations should be employed going forward. When I think of Bradley's potential usage going forward, I think of those Pirlo and either of the 2006-7 AC Milan teams or his last stint with Juve.

Regarding Bradley, as frustrated as I have been (like many) with him for the past few years both as a USMNT fan and a TFC non-fan, I think he could be very useful in certain situations going forward. Gone are the days when I would feel comfortable with him deployed in a role with any sort of significant tackling or shielding responsibilities.

I cannot help think of him playing a Pirlo role flanked by Adams and Mckennie in the Ambrosini and Gattuso roles or Vidal/Pogba roles. His composure as a passer is still pretty impressive. That he doesn't run like he used to is in some ways perhaps a good thing.

Absent that sort of cover or configuration, it is difficult for me to see a consistent role for him.

deejay repped this.
  16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Against terrible competition shouldve been complete domination. Cr/Panama offered nothing going forward giving up a goal would've been a Greek tragedy.

17. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Glad we got to see Canouse over these 2 games.

bsky22, majspike, btlove and 2 others repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are asking us to not judge this measure by saying that there isn't enough data for other players at the same position in that measure. I'm merely saying that it doesn't matter if we can measure other players at the position. Under a goal per game is good for our NT against quality competition, regardless of the era and level of players on the field.

I didn't neglect the Italy game. That is included in the total minutes and goals. I don't even understand the point you are trying to make about the Ireland and Italy games. Is there any larger point in what you are saying?

19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    When playing against quality opponents it was not under a goal a game.

Which is pretty obvious.

I think just about any option we play would have got similar result vs Paraguay, Bolivia and Bosnia. Which are the games which are padding the stats. We will never know though. Conveniently.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Against good competition, it was still good. We didn't allow two goals against any team with Trapp in the game. Teams like France, Brazil, Italy, England are good enough to put 4 or 5 past us, if they played well.

21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    False

Trapp went 90 vs Ireland. We allowed 2
    Brazil scored both goals when Trapp was on the field.
    England scored twice when Trapp was on the field.

Trapp played 30 minutes vs Italy and they scored while he was on the field.

I dont get the full court defense for Trapp on this.

Zinkoff, majspike, btlove and 2 others repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That meant to say more than two goals.

23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you play way too much football manager/fifa and way too much time on ws.

you have to understand the real thing is different you can't rate players only on their speed and you can't rate players on their +/- its not that simple.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Who is the closest to GB's best lineup in this camp. The 11 that started against Panama or the 11 that finished against Costa Rica?

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you saw any NYRB matches or TA's exceptional RBL performances against BuLi level opponents but Adams has zero issues playing out the back. In fact unlike Trapp and to a lesser extent Bradley, Adams in his BuLi matches has shown zero reluctance to show for, and play quick one-touch passes in very tight spaces under close pressure.

Trapp for all his supposed "possession' skills almost never show to receive the ball in tight spaces, in fact he runs away. Bradley will aggressively show in the middle of the field in order to be a pressure release valve but will not venture to the sidelines. The most impressive trait about Adams in the BuLi has been his confidence and effectiveness in those tight space/tight pressure situations.

dwsmith1972, bsky22, Pegasus and 4 others repped this.