Post-match: Post-Election: Self-Criticism and Struggle Sessions

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DoyleG, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the answer is.

One thing we could do, though, (in terms of the world being more unstable), is to stop sticking our noses in to things that don't concern us.

2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boo focking hoo

I would have followed Bernie anywhere, but wasn't under any circumstances following Bernie to !H

Following the reelection of Pelosi as the minority leader it looks as if they've learned nothing and don't care about brining back the very people they blame for losing. F--k em. Try harder

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seems you followed him to T, which is even better than H!

luftmensch, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If that's how you want to put it. You have your truth.

I don't subscribe to binary logic

I advocated for "Berning" down the DNC after the primaries. #Itoldyouso

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You may not want it but you're going to get it good and hard.

luftmensch and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps.

[​IMG]

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Newsweek piece doesn't tell a lot of new things but it is interesting to read:

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/12/16/donald-trump-pennsylvania-win-luzerne-county-527861.html

To understand how Donald Trump, a billionaire living in a vast Manhattan penthouse, churned up such passionate support in Luzerne County, watch the video of his October 10 rally at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre. Introduced as the next president of the United States, Trump walked out beaming and clapping to the Lee Greenwood anthem “I’m Proud to Be an American,” as the crowd held up signs that said “TRUMP DIGS COAL” and “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.” To huge applause, Trump recited the lines his supporters in Luzerne County have been repeating back to me for the past few days. That night, he told them, “We’re going to make Pennsylvania so rich again, your jobs are coming back.”

The crowd cheered that line, cheered again when he vowed to end illegal immigration and booed when he mentioned Syrian refugees. He then recited the lyrics of a 1970s song, “The Snake,” which describes a tenderhearted woman who finds a frozen snake and brings it home, clearly casting immigrants in the role of the serpent. Nursed back to health, the poisonous snake bites her.

He recited the lyrics of what the treacherous snake tells the woman as she dies: "‘Oh shut up, silly woman,’ said the reptile with a grin. ‘You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in.’” In case anyone missed his point, he then said, “And then we have our very incompetent politicians in Washington taking everybody in.”
    [​IMG]

For sure they don't see that somebody else is the snake...

luftmensch repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's the arena where the guy, with his wife and daughter in tow, was photographed wearin a Hillary is a C*** shirt.

It's also where we go to watch minor league hockey. Or, used to go.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about those Green Party recounts.

This is not good, right wing news (Detroit news is one) will deferentially cover this and even if this is just some errors, this is going to fuel the right wing Democrats stuff the boxes memes.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/12/vote-audit/95358702/

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On what Trump/Bannon allegedly want.

Here is where his nationalism flirts with the left of Bernie Sanders.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/opinion/what-does-my-party-want.html?action=click&contentCollection=opinion&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article&version=column&rref=collection/column/thomas-b-edsall

So massive tax cuts (mostly for the rich) with huge infrastructure projects.

So if you bitched and complained about the Obama deficits, get ready for the Trump budget deficit explosion.

And all those tea Party people that held the government ransom because they did not want to lift the debt ceiling for the black dude. Well you have been warned by Trumps team.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the 2020 election thread is closed, I will post this here.

Biden only won 4 cities that are tracked as MSAs in Florida.

Only 2 of the biggest 11 (1 and 3).

charlie15 repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie15 repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Kinda neat article about some behind-the-scenes organizing by labor, activist, and business interests to ensure a democratic election in November 2020.

I think it lionizes a few people too much, but still interesting to know some things going on in the background.

song219 and American Brummie repped this.
  14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it lionizes them appropriately. The riot alnost worked.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some split ticket info.

Look at Maine.

Collins +60k (a bit less) over Trump
    Gideon -90k or so from Biden.

1370235932901773312 is not a valid tweet id

So perhaps 60k or so voters in Maine voted for Biden and Collins.

16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insightful article....Iowa is an interesting case study on how white grievance (aka racism) works.....

New Yorker: “Douglas Burns, a longtime newsman and political independent who co-owns the Carroll Times Herald, is similarly pessimistic. As a reporter, he watched any number of Iowa Democrats run what he considered solid, mainstream campaigns, attentive to voters and their local concerns, only to lose.”

Said Burns: “Unless you live here, I don’t think you can appreciate the level of rural white grievance. We think that you can win people over with the issues. I’m not sure that you can.”

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great article. I saw that in Florida too, when volunteering to contact voters; many people would refuse to talk to you, just because you were a Democrat. Some of them would spout the same kind of lies and misinformation, mostly obtained from social media.

I would like to contribute two things:

1. It is funny how the right, still blames the dems of playing identity politics. I even heard that a couple of weeks ago from the supposedly center-right in the Bullwark podcast, when they said the democrats were moving too far left and not giving any option to centrist guys like them. I took my time to reply to them and show them how they didn't have any ideas because in reality that did not interest GQP voters. The right has left any pretense of intellect, and they only have racism, sexism and xenophobia left (aka identity politics), but that's OK, because if properly played, is all they need.

2. In an unexpected development, during last election I saw how the social media played, and at least for the Florida residents, a lot of it flowed from Colombia, targeting Cuban, Colombian and Venezuelan immigrants. The tactics were pretty much the same that they used in Colombian elections, when anyone that was not from the extreme right was labeled a Castro-Chavista, ready to implement a communist government with no respect for private property or individual rights. My high school chat group suddenly became extremely interested in US politics (odd, for a Colombian HS), and the disinformation was also playing there, with some of the participants claiming that Trump had won, using the same talking points and phony evidence as spouted in the US. All this to say, that the right's tactics are unifying all around the world, and when you don't have any real ideas, it is extremely useful to capitalize on fear and misinformation.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. I made the parallel as well with FL when I read the article. This is a state that is drifting away from the Dems as well.

dapip repped this.
  19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    1384555863168274432 is not a valid tweet id

The Federalists were right, the Louisiana Purchase ruined this country.

1384021549041078272 is not a valid tweet id