PORTUGAL VS IRAN 2018 FIFA World Cup Group Stage [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    My wife is Persian and don’t like to be around here own people either especially the Tarangles variety. Don’t get me wrong she loves her country and culture.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    The Persian people I know will never cordone this behavior.

4. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Trust me I know. I live in Richmond hill, Ontario, and I would say it's about 50% Persian. If I throw a quarter out of my condo window, there is a high probability it will hit a black BMW.

I do think their woman are hot af though, love the combo of dark features and super dumb. Kinda like Kim Kardashian but usually with an accent.

5. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    This is what I said should start 2 days ago. You adding experience while protecting the center of the defense. Quaresma is equally as good as a passer as Moutinho. His crosses are deadly accurate.

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They have their own sub forums here, but they just don't use it. I think they don't see a point in conversation if there isn't a reason to pump their chest out.

7. FigoIsGod

FigoIsGod Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Wow, didn’t expect three changes but alrighty. Let’s ********ing do this.

8. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    My wife is the different variety she live through the Revolution and was in Iran the first few years of the Iran -Iraq War. Since she comes from a very prominent family, she live in. Through hell in those years. She’s grounded and is not like the new Persians. When we went to Portugal, everyone though she was Portuguese. Whenever I go to a Persian restaurant they mistaken me for Iranian. She’s older now but was super hot when we met in our early 20s and is still beautiful. She loves Portugal.

9. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Having Persian food right now, pre game meal.

10. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    More consistency in the midfield, and more deepness forward. Expect more ball possession.

parkben1 repped this.
  11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No doubt. Persian women are absolutely STUNNING. And they are a very successful minority in the Bay Area.

parkben1 repped this.
  12. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not a fan of Quaresma starting

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Should be Gelson.

I'm also not a fan of Joao Mario starting either.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Patricio
    Cedric
    Pepe
    Fonte
    Guerreiro
    William
    Adrien Silva
    Joao Mario
    Quaresma
    Ronaldo
    Andre Silva

I don't mind Quaresma starting. He can provide that killer cross needed against Iran's type of defense. As much as I like Bernardo and Guedes, their presence has been lacking. You also need another target in the box, hence Andre Silva.

I'm fine with it. The other mentioned will likely see the field too. Just win.

15. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I like the line up.

This suggests to me Santos believes Iran even though they need 3 pts will still sit back and try to catch us on the counter.

Adrien i believe will likely be out wide, provide insurance for Guerreiro who has struggled with no real expectation of him to create much, while Mario will slot into the middle where he belongs!!!

Quaresma has a good work ethic, will track back, stronger physically and a good crosser of the ball with more experience at this level.

We threw Andre Silva to help Ronaldo get onto the end of one those Quaresma crosses..

It is essentially our Euro 2016 line up.. minus 1/2 pieces..

I like the line up and think if we grab a goal and go ahead 1-0.. we will look to throw Guedes/Martins on at some point in place of Andre Silva to help catch them on the counter.. down 1-0 needing a win.. they literally cant afford to play that style of game no longer leaving them very much exposed.

We really need to score 1st.. no question about it.

parkben1, Tertuliano and AlexJones19 repped this.
  16. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Come on Boys !

17. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Toronto FC / Santa Clara / benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quaresma has waited his whole career for this moment let's hope he grabs it. It's his first World Cup at age 34.

The younger guys like Bernardo and Guedes have shown weak mentality so far and been useless

NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    That is so strange when you read it like that, a player of his caliber to basically go through 4 world cup cycles. a footballing career really ! and not feature in a world cup until now. Hope he shows well.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I didn't realize it until it was mentioned during the Spain match. He's played so many matches for Portugal over the past 15 years, but been in and out of favor depending on the manger, played in three straight Euros, yet somehow been left off some meager World Cup squads.

21. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Where will you guys be watching the game?

22. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm at home, just had some Indian food.

23. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Yeah - Santos he's going with experience here. I'm just surprised that J. Mario gets a 2nd chance after that horrendous game 2.
    So in choosing between the many MF horror-shows from game 2 he decided to try his luck with J. Mario b/c it means playing a MF of players who are highly familiar with each other from their Sporting days - William/Adrien/J.Mario - in order to improve ball possession.

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    My biggest worry here is that Queiroz is highly familiar with Quaresma's hot head. How much do you want to bet that part of Iran's strategy today will be trying to get Pepe or Quaresma to see red?
    Hopefully they are experienced enough to stay cool - but remember that just a few months ago both Pepe and Quaresma went crazy during a Turkish game...

25. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I prefer Quaresma as the first sub but probably too predictable by now.

artielange84 repped this.