Portugal.. moving forward

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Jul 1, 2018.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    That’s a nice looking lineup, pretty much agree with it. Hopefully Gurreiro goes to PSG and links up out Tuchel, it would also be great if Ruben Vinagre had a breakout year at Wolves need some backup for Gurreiro

2. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #127 RedBullSeven, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Jesus!!!!!!! I feel like if I made a different post and you read it, you would of blink twice in front of Ronaldo instead of once, and he would of scored that penalty kick against Iran, and Portugal would of beat France or Brazil in the finals.

3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005

Like I said if we were all being honest we never really built on our performance as the tournament went on. Perhaps if Ronaldo had of scored the penalty it could’ve been a catalyst for the team to gain some confidence in itself and put a few past Iran going into the Rússia game. Instead in gave Iran the momentum and the atmosphere within the stadium no doubt in my mind led to the ref awarding the penalty to Iran.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on the best case scenario for 2020 if all players are player to their potential and in form injury free etc etc.

Who would be in your first XI?
    What formation would it be?

---------------Ronaldo---
    Guedes--—Bernardo----Lopes
    ------------Neves——Sanches——
    Gurreiro------Pepe-Dias-----Cancelo
    -------------------Patricio

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just thinkPepe will be gone by then

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so, though not because he hasn't been great for us in the past but because we need to have somebody step up in the new generation

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Renato scores a cheeky free kick against PSG for Bayern. Hopefully a key moment for him to regain confidence and form

8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It was a really nice goal. Upon watching it I thought it may have been an accident, but he definitely did what he was trying to do. It certainly wasn’t something a player lacking confidence would attempt.

By all accounts he played well overall.

9. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I think he misplaced 1 pass the whole game, kept it simple, took set pieces. Coach had good things to say after the match. Hopefully he can build from here

dipluso repped this.
  10. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Going to be a fascinating study in sports psychology watching Renato get back.

11. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #136 Sumol, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    We all knew Renato would come back and vanquish everything in his path.
    Even @SCP_16 knew this.

We will never win another trophy on the national level without him. Mark my words. He played a bigger part in winning the euro than Ronaldo in my opinion.

Two straight catastrophe's without Sanches at the confederations cup and world cup.

It tells you all we need to know about who our real savior is.

12. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Moutinho to Wolves. Man I have never been so excited to watch a team in the premier league before.

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wolves is called Portugal FC in England.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Ditto. I'm glad I followed Wolves last season and have been able to enjoy this transition a bit. I just happen to be visiting the UK about 20 miles from Wolverhampton next week, so I'm gonna catch Wolves' final preseason friendly against Villarreal. Who knows how many more Portuguese could be on the squad by then?!

15. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    So, to this point... Wolves have:

Patricio
    Vinagre
    Neves
    Moutinho
    Cavaleiro
    Jota
    Costa
    Goncalves

Who amongst these are for sure starters?

Not having followed them super closely.. my guess is:

Patricio
    Vinagre
    Neves
    Moutinho
    Cavaleiro
    Jota

Or do both Costa and Goncalves fit into the plans too?

How do you see the league going for these players? It isnt as if the young Portuguese players on this roster lack first division footy..

They can definitely cause a big upset..

Leicester all over again? or am i reaching..

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    My guess:
    • Patricio will certainly start in goal.
    • Neves is their star player and cult hero - definite starter.
    • Jota was fantastic last season and will start.
    • I assume Moutinho will start in the four-man midfield.
    • Cavaleiro is likely to start on the wing, but Costa plays a lot too and will get starts. Against Ajax last week, Costa started on the right, Jota in the middle and Cavaleiro on the left, but Leo Bonatini usually starts at center forward.
    • Vinagre barely played last season after September, so I doubt he's slated to start. He definitely has the potential to play at this level based on the talent he's shown at the U19 Euros, but he only turned 19 in April. Not a lot of teenage defenders starting in the Premier League.
    • Goncalves will be on the U23 squad, I assume. That's where he was last season and Wolves have only gotten stronger in the offseason.
    Wolves really could add more Portuguese before the season too. There are rumors about Andre Silva and now Pepe, so who knows. Either way, Wolves will have 5 or 6 regular starters and a manager from Portugal. That's more than the entire league had in recent seasons.

17. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Wolves rate Hélder Costa higher than Cavaleiro, he had a lot of injuries last season but the guy has a high ceiling

18. Voinz25

Voinz25 Member

May 6, 2015
    Take CR7 out and keep him as a sub. Replace Ronnie with A.Silva

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Costa tore Liverpool a new one 2 years back in the FA cup

20. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Correct on Patricio, Neves and Jota

Wolves play with a 3-4-3 so it should be Neves and Moutinho in the middle as expected.

Bonatini really tailed of last season and he's not a guaranteed starter. All of my Wolves supporting friends all think that currently they will line up with a front three of
    Costa - Jota - Cavaleiro.

Vinagre's move has been made permanent so he may get a little more game time this season. Barry Douglas has been sold to Leeds but wolves are bringing in Jonny from Atleti to be first choice left wing back.

Very much looking forward to it and seeing how they do this season. My friends over here have all asked if i'm going to be supporting them with all the Portuguese interest haha!

21. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Thanks for the super interesting report. And I agree. My mom says the same thing about Ronaldo. By coincidence she flew next to him in 2010 from Portugal to the US after that World Cup and said he was remarkably normal and well-mannered. He was talkative even though she knew almost nothing about him. He talked openly about wishing to have had a better education when he was younger (my mom is a prof) but that soccer didn't leave time for it. He still talked with her even though half the plane was trying to get selfies with him. (my mom didn't even ask for an autograph). He had zero reason to talk with my mom - it was not a PR, self-serving thing - he was chatting like a normal human being away from cameras. Which just solidifies what a lot of people have said - that he is a genuinely good guy.

22. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I agree. You could almost see it on the face of Bernardo Silva yesterday - he barely smiled after easily scoring 2 goals on Barcelona and bossing that midfield like he was on the training ground. The only time we saw that from him was towards the end of the Uruguay game when he finally was shifted to CAM. So many "what ifs" if him and Goncalo Guedes had managed to catch fire... Damn it.

23. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is was more to do with Santos unwilling to evolve tactically.

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    It's a real shame Santos didn't let Bernardo play CAM until the last 30 min of our WC. But I think Bernardo was also playing a little scared/conservative the first 3 games until it was do or die time against Uru. He was really dire against Morocco where he couldn't do anything - dribble or pass. So I think it was also a matter of inexperience of both Bernardo and Guedes on a big stage.
    Guedes was playing his normal position half the time; the other time he was playing up front. He didn't seem comfortable either way and I wonder if he's been injured or something - b/c his 2nd half of the season and WC was nothing like the 1st half of the season at Valencia. I've wondered if he picked up a knock that he did not let on or it was just a matter of losing steam. He fell a hell of a lot - does he need to bulk up or something? It was weird.

25. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    If you add to it that João Cancelo didn't make it in the 23 despite having a very good season with Inter and having Juventus break the bank (3rd most expensive RB ever) for him and being set on making a starter in what is going to be the best team Juventus ever put together, you would think that either Juventus or FS don't know what they're doing. Seeing FS picking Ricardo over Cancelo, something tells me Juventus is doing it write.

dipluso repped this.