Alert: PORTUGAL 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP FINALS - *GENERAL DISCUSSION*

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All the sides do it, or try to do it in more subtle ways, but the Aussies got caught doing it in a very flagrant manner on camera. Overblown in my opinion, now betting and cricket, there is the real problem. Not many Aussies in Portugal as far as I know, Saffas, many from Madeira.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Or I am just pushing a dummy to be a bigger dummy in hopes he eventually learns something.

3. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What's the matter, you don't like free money?

I'm thinking the Saudi's are going to want to make a statement. We haven't seen the best from them yet

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bet your life savings on the Saudis for all that "free money"

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    persianfootball Red Card :ninja:

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He must of been scammed or had his heart broken by a pork chop.

7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe a pork chop stole his dougnut in school, I guess we Will never know :whistling:

8. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Monere too. He was getting annoying as well.

9. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    By the physionomy of Iran-Spain so far, it looks like the spags are going to struggle to pull the 3 points

10. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lighten up everyone, we've played terribly yet we have 4 points! We're trolling the world again:)

Bacalhau, Nani_17 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The average World Cup viewer:

Morocco loses to Iran on fluke own goal during added time = "Poor Morocco, they were better and Iran did nothing to deserve that."

Portugal is outplayed, but still beats Morocco = "Portugal sucks."

Spain is outplayed, by beats Iran on a fluke goal and an overturned goal = "Wow, Iran is great!"

What exactly would have to happen for people to not lick Spain's you-know-whats?

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How about the actual context of what happens in the game and not just the final score?

We sucked vs Morocco
    Spain dominated but couldn't figure out how to break down Iran.

World of difference in the 2 games. Iran was unlucky not to tie but Morocco was unlucky not to win convincingly.

Morocco was basically Portugal 2002, 2003, 2007-2010 All ball possession dominate play and passing can't figure out how to score lose on a set piece.

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree GD! But Both Spain/Portugal are underwhelming to watch, with OT, could be the inexperience.

To me, Australia are the underdog team, I like their style of game. Russia could be the dark horse.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Spain beat Iran on thanks to what was essentially an own goal and a disallowed goal in which a player was leaning like a cm offside, yet the narrative is that Iran - five days removed from lucking into victory against Morocco on a diving header own goal in injury time - is actually super, very good suddenly because Spain is unquestionably great.

It's just funny how differently Spain and Portugal results are perceived, and how Iran playing well in a 1-0 loss to Spain means Iran is good while Morocco playing well in a 1-0 loss to Portugal means Portugal sucks.

You're giving people too much credit if you think they wouldn't have reached the same conclusions even if Portugal played very well in a 1-0 win - we're talking about people who are certain that Portugal was lucky all Euro 2016 when it was quite the opposite.

Nani_17 repped this.
  15. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Keep the positive vibes. Negativity is at a high and we need to support the team and hope they figure it out.

16. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    YouTube replies, everyone has the same notion that Portugal sucks and it’s a one man team. Even the Spaniards on BigSoccer still have that attitude against Portugal when we managed a draw 3-3, lol Wow! You figure they would have more respect. Whatever, it’s Euro 2016 all over again. I’m getting pissed off. Hopefully all this negativity against the Portuguese motivates our players.

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching 180 minutes of this world cup, how can you not think Portugal is a one man team?

NewLaw83 and HandofAbel repped this.
  18. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is it. If the world generally had a misinformed or ignorant view of Portugal in that regard, or whether or not that view on Portugal is correct or not, absolutely nothing has been shown at this point that would change this opinion. I still have a lot of belief and optimism toward the quality of players we are developing, but there’s been no reason for a neutral to be impressed. At all.

NewLaw83 and nbstriker8 repped this.
  19. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You and I know Portugal has quality that makes the team more than a one man team. I didn’t think we played bad against Spain.

20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we know that, we follow the team.

But the casual, neutral fan...there's been nothing shown so far this tournament to think otherwise.

And I don't think we played particularly well against Spain. I also don't think Spain played particularly well against us.

21. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We played well against Spain and should of been 2-0 up b4 they got their 1st

22. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I though the defense and midfield were bad.

And woulda shoulda coulda that game could have been 7-4 Spain.

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    People have talked about Portugal being Ronaldo and 10 other guys for the past 12 years, and at times it does play like that. Obviously, it's easy to make that point right now with him playing like this and the rest playing poorly. That said, people have said it at all times whether or not it is true. At Euro 2016, Ronaldo wasn't especially good outside of the Hungary match, Portugal won without scoring much, Ronaldo was a non-factor in the final, and it won the tournament.....and people were at a loss as to who to talk about because they know one name by heart and he was on the sideline.

If you asked the average non-Portuguese fan to name the MOTM of the Euro 2016 final, do you think they'd be able to? Or name the four Portuguese on the Team of the Tournament?

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France is playing pretty poorly as well, but have advanced out of the group stages. They aren't to be feared in the latter rounds.

And no way Argentina wins today

25. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How much would u wager?

JoseEmidio repped this.