Alert: PORTUGAL 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP FINALS - *GENERAL DISCUSSION*

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We are not leftists here and don't share your views. I also support free speech and you can say whatever you want but there will be discussion.

Again I ask, what exactly is an ethnic Portuguese person? Do the celts qualify?

2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Regardless of how you may act toward others or view the world, you're saying that you prefer "ethnic Portuguese men" (i.e., "indigenous" white Europeans) to be selected to the national team rather than guys of Sub-Saharan African descent (i.e., black), mostly regardless of their ties to Portugal. You also say the presence of the latter on the national teams of Portugal, France, etc. "looks bad."

In spite of those opinions, you're certain your view on this subject isn't racist.

3. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #628 RedBullSeven, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    By your logic, African Americans are all racists for being proud of other African Americans athletes competing in the Olympics, and wanting more of their people to succeed in sports. I do want ethnic Portuguese to succeed in sports. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t want any black players playing on the Portuguese national team. If they have the skills, then they deserved it more than anyone else. Stop twisting my words.

4. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Some embarrassing posts from @RedBullSeven. I hope people know that his opinion doesn't represent the Portuguese people.

Grab a history book or two and read about France/Portugal's past. We have people who consider themselves Portuguese as far as Timor Leste. We are a nation of many different people and we should be proud of that.

Nani_17, OndaVerde and Crooked repped this.
  5. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #630 RedBullSeven, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Swarthy looking people or white looking people with dark hair, blond hair, dark eyes, light color eyes, olive skin, tan skin or pale skin. Pretty much the majority of what you see in Portugal. You know exactly what I mean. I don’t even know why I’m answering this question for you.

I’m not on the left, but I’m not on the right either.

6. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You’re shaming me for wanting the ethnic Portuguese to succeed. That doesn’t mean I want the minorites of Portugal to fail. Stop twisting my damn words.

7. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    It shouldn’t bother you who succeeds in Portugal. We are all Portuguese.

8. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I already challenged that notion with a hypothetical situation with the Nigerian National team picture. I made my point.

9. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    This is a complex question. Blacks have played in the Portuguese national team since the beginning, and I don't think anyone has ever raised an eye brown at their presence solely for a racial reason. Note that it is far from being the case in Italy and Germany. I personally believe that players should be selected based on merit only, which has been the federation policy.
    However, what would we say if the starting 11 featured 11 African looking players?
    Probably some would find nothing to object to it, but would they say the same thing if, say, Angola NT had 11 Whites in the starting roster?
    NT isn't club football, where players are mere mercenaries. It is a place where players should only play for the love of the emblem IMO, which brings about the question of naturalized players. Portugal had several episodes of that in the recent past. Deco, Liedson, Pepe. Quality aside, Portugal used them as much as they used Portugal as way to play international football and better their prospects. Deco refusal to play against Brazil at the WC 2010 only shows this is a very complex matter

10. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Found this video interesting. It’s the point of view from people ofAfrican decent about French National team.

11. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    What is ethnic Portuguese???? I don’t think your being racist, I’m not sure your fully aware of Portugal’s unique history in comparison to most Western European countries. A lot of people from Goa, Timor, Macau and many of the African colonies consider themselves Portuguese and our culture is firmly entrenched in those places. Our genetics are actually very diverse and just so you aware more than likely you have sub Saharan and Sephardic Jew in you. You also have Celt, Lusitanian, North African. I think Portugal is a very different situation to France, culture and genetics are shared.

12. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure where you live but, believe it or not, Portugal is probably the most homogeneous country in Western Europe. A walk in the streets of Paris, London, Marseilles, Berlin, Amsterdam or Brussels could be an eye opener.

13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I’m speaking from the colonial country perspective firstly, having travelled to some of the former Portuguese colonies, there is a sense of pride which has develope in the last couple of decades of the Portuguese culture within those places now that wounds from the wars are healing. My second point is that the Portuguese race has some interesting ethnicitiee which make up its genetics which is different from what is being referred to as ethnically Portuguese

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That is not interesting or surprising. We all know racism is alive and well in 2018. Europe has nationalism movements all over the place to keep it white and curb immigration but that won't happen.

I understand the point you are making but it is a view that I don't share. If you are a citizen of a country, then you are a citizen. There should be no strings attached. if the "ethnic Portuguese" aka white folks lose their spots to players of African ancestry, I have no issue since I don't care much for their pigmentation on their skin. If you are a Portuguese citizen then you have the right and priveldge to represent Portugal. I know you are don't have issues with some "African players representing Portugal.

You are being called a racist by posters who oppose your view and you are calling anyone who opposes your view a SJW. This discussion won't go anywhere.

15. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just remember that one ignorant and very confused guy does not represent us.

16. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #641 N. Platini, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
    That explains a lot .

I was just using his own backwards (mod: edit) logic . It surprised me to see a Portuguese person ( if he actually is ) have his views .

Not sure if it's genuine discrimination or plain jealousy but the comments are shameful really .

France suffers from racism , Portugal does too etc . Does not mean every French & Portuguese " native " are racist and need to be condemned

To us it's weird seeing the fuss about black players in the national team . France has had black players since 1930 . Like you said Portugal and France are very similar in this regard .

His comments are what I'd expect of a Spaniard or Italian to be honest

BatatasFritas repped this.
  17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I don't know you, but even if everyone here were to give you the benefit of the doubt because we don't know you personally, you are without a doubt saying that a Portugal national team full of black players looks bad because Portuguese people are supposed to be white, and you prefer the national team be primarily ethnic/white Portuguese. Regardless of reasoning, those are your preferences and beliefs. It's not even a little bit of a stretch to call that racial bias at the very least.

BatatasFritas and Voinz25 repped this.
  18. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The race thing is often cited as a reason as to why Portugal is not a team with crossover appeal, too many black and brown people. I think of "Portuguese" as anyone from Portugal or the former colonies. And perhaps anyone who just adopts the culture out of pure interest.

19. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #644 RedBullSeven, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    I have no hatred for anyone that doesn’t look like me. But just because I want guys like Guedes, Gomes, Patricio, and Ronaldo to do well, doesn’t mean I’m filled with venom and hate. If blacks can be proud of athletes that are the same race as them, then what the hell is so wrong when I want my ethnicity to do well? It’s a double standard. You haven’t called them racists, and I think you’re too much of a coward to say it if you really do stand by your views.

20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noone is arguing against being proud.

The "ethnic" & "indigenous" & your idea of limiting the numbers of non-ethnic Portuguese on a team is what's rubbing people the wrong way.

21. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Guys all this talk about racism and racists just makes me wanna give you all a big hug

[​IMG]

22. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not black so maybe I shouldn't be speaking for a race I have not lived. However, from my understanding, this is far from a double standard. If you are black, can you even begin to imagine a life in which people always looked down on you? kept their eye on you? Never gave you a chance? You know full well you have to work 500% harder to achieve the same thing as the white guy. If you deny oppression, then yes you are racist. If you accept it, then I think it's easy to understand why you would support people of your race making it. People naturally look for reference points and sources of motivation. I'm white just like you, and sorry to say, but we really don't need that, we have had it easy. Well now ofcourse if you're right wing then you may enjoy playing the victim while calling others snow flakes, all the while being too dumb to realize the hypocrisy.

23. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What in the hell did i just read?

I think both you and RedBullSeven have lost the plot. Although on opposite sides, both of you are on the extreme side of your political spectrums and must seek help immediately.

25. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's everybody rein this in.

No more political talk.