Porto vs Liverpool FC - CL - QFs - Leg 2 - Apr 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 16, 2019.

1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Porto had more or less thrown in the towel by 55 mins.

usscouse repped this.
  2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    On another note, you often read about using Origi out wide to make use of his pace. But is he actually all that fast? Don't think I've ever seen him successfully use pace to beat a player?

soccershaggy repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think we wore them down. we are a great second half team these days.

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A drubbing...

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    great to see Gomez get some good solid minutes today. it wasn't TAA's night, that's for sure.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep but it's been a while. good point delay.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool are the first English side to qualify for back-to-back Champions League semi-finals since both Chelsea and Manchester United did so in three campaigns between 2006-07 and 2008-09.
    • Liverpool are now unbeaten in their four European trips to Porto (W2 D2); the Reds have only visited Barcelona as many times in all European competition without suffering defeat.
    • Each of the 18 Champions League goals Liverpool have scored and the 15 that Porto have conceded in the competition this season have come from inside the area.
    • Only Steven Gerrard (21) has scored more European Cup/Champions League goals for Liverpool than Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah, who have all moved level with Ian Rush on 14 goals each.

jeffcoop, Wingtips1 and B.A. repped this.
  8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #108 Red Bird, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    The drop off in quality with Wijnaldum (his usual away disappearing act), Milner and Origi was palpable in the first half. Maybe Wijnaldum has played too much football this season? Lucky for us that, especially, Marega is a carthorse.

Second half we had better control and the threat which Firmino added in the final third swung the game decisively in our favour.

Bring on Cardiff.

By the way, Ericksen gets a lot of praise but it was his sloppiness which led to Man City’s “ruled out” goal. He’s a fit for Spurs.

9. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair rush would have had a few more goals if the format was the same with groups back when he played.

burning247 repped this.
  10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When Porto scored, it was the away end that went insane, because the song they played over the speakers was the Gini Wijnaldum song.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 1 and May 7 for the semi finals - 2nd leg at Anfield

Suss repped this.
  12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Newcastle game is in between. It will likely be moved from Sunday May 5 to Saturday May 4.

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to give Porto credit for the way they started. Fortunately they had Altidore playing up front so they didn't make it pay.

It took awhile for us to figure them out, but we did eventually. Not that Origi was necessarily bad, but we really missed Bobby dropping deep to help us retain the ball.

That was a textbook lesson in how having ruthless finishers makes all the difference in the CL.

Frysk Bloed, asitis, Red Bird and 2 others repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    4 shots on target, 4 goals - doesn't get much more ruthless than that.

dcc134 and usscouse repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah but. That wild slash by Sadio after he'd done the hard work should have made it 5.

The couple of times he tried he was pretty easily run down.

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #116 usscouse, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    May 1 is my Birthday.
    It'd be a nice pressie. Just saying.

Another nice thought would be for you guys to arrange a trip for me to the Nou Camp. I'ts been a few years since I've been to Barcelona.

17. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The check is in the mail... ;)

usscouse repped this.
  18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    The final score didn't reflect the feeling of the game for the first 25', that was nervy watching. But pretty nicely done after we got going, especially the second half. Barca should be fun. Wow Hendo's been great lately.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's been great, hasn't he? There is a more urgent dimension to his touch (and passing) which seemed to have deserted him in recent seasons. I think the competition for places has much to answer for this. And his own individual willingness to raise his game.

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Hey -
    Well, he didn't play for a huge chunk of his career - as we were banned from european football after 1985.... and then we weren't at the top of the league any more when they re-instated British Teams.
    Rush & Liverpool would have higher numbers were that not the history....

22. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Liverpool, I'm looking forward to an amazing tie and a good show for the game. I've been impressed with how solid Liverpool have made themselves this season after solidifying the midfield with some shrewd transfer business (paying off now I see with Keita), and the growth of Van Dijk into a world class leader.

From my Barcelona perspective, I am not particularly looking forward to the match-up of Klopp vs. Valverde. Barcelona have been prone to giveaways lately in dangerous positions, and Busquets was off form against United. Valverde tends to be very reactive instead of sending his team out to be more proactive and out for blood. The side does not dictate in the same way it did in the Xaviesta era.

I think the only difference in Barcelona you can expect (from the United tie) is probably Dembele over Coutinho in the starting XI (despite the latter's improvement lately). The other other debated choice will be right back (Semedo or Roberto). Semedo is the better choice imo versus Mane. Mane would eat Roberto alive. These are the only two genuine debates for me.

Messi versus Robertson will be fun as will Salah-Alba.

I am interested to see if Klopp's springs any surprises (Salah up top, or at least interchanging with Firmino). My head is leaning towards Pool as the favorite just because of the weakness I've seen lately in Barcelona's build up play. However, you absolutely must capitalize early as this Barca team grows in strength over the course of a match as both the team and Valverde settle in.

Cheers all. Let's have one to remember.

23. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was super nervous up until the first goal as Porto were all over us. Like mentioned above...it just shows why clinical finishers are so important, and hard to find. So many talented players but that consistency in getting those goals when needed is just crucial. Porto could have probably had 5 goals in the first half alone.

Barcelona will not be so forgiving. I think they will be some amazing games really. Messi is in such incredible form that I'm terrified of whether or not we can actually defend him but we will see. I'd really love to see Ajax in the final with Liverpool.

Also Firmino being out just continues to show why I still think he's our most important player. Without him our team was essentially resorting to hoofball and completely panicked...I don't really think it was related to the midfield; I just think we've become incredibly reliant on Firmino's influence. He is, along with van Dijk, our most important player.

Up the Reds!

usscouse repped this.
  24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Personally if I were barca I'd play Vidal instead of Busquets.... to try to stem the power of Liverpool's midfield. But they won't.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s an epic tie. I couldn’t call it, seems a coin flip based on many different factors that could go one way or another.

But LFC should feel they can win this tie, and then the trophy.