Portimonense vs Sporting CP

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Apr 28, 2018.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    What a goal by BF. I thought he was out of fuel by the middle of the 2nd half. Glad he proved me wrong.
    Portimonense has a good squad.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yes thats correct.

A win from either team would guarantee 2nd place and a CL spot (3 points ahead and head-to-head advantage with 1 game remaining)

If there is a draw, only a 0-0 benefits us because we tied 1-1 at the Luz and have an away goal. A 1-1 does not suit us - the next tie breaker would be goals scored and we have a disadvantage I believe of 17 goals. Same goes for 2-2, 3-3 etc...

3. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Correct. The first tie-breaker is head to head. Since it was 1-1 at Luz, the away goal would put us over them if the tie at Alvalade is 0-0. However, a 1-1 tie would throw to 2nd tiebreaker (GD) which favors them.
    There is zero chance of not conceding goals - hence, need to go for the win (also in the remote chance of Porto losing points - to put pressure on them for the last game day).

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a winner from Bruno! What a signing he has been. Glad there is still something to play for. Hope we can pull off 2nd.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone. Visitor to your Board (and Sporting sympathizer) who just came to verify that head-to-head is the tie-breaker (rather than GD).

Now that you guys have been so nice to clear that up for me, I need to clear up for you that (assuming Braga wins their two remaining games), you need a draw in the final game to clinch second place. Braga have the tie-breaker against Sporting if they both finish on 80 points. If Benfica, Braga, and Sporting finish on 80 points, Benfica would finish second as they have the most points in the three team "league" taking account the head-to-head results (7 Benfica, 5 Sporting, 4 Braga). Yes, if Braga drop points on Friday, a win v Benfica clinches 2nd place/CL.

Best of luck this weekend and the following week!

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Welcome to the forum! Please feel free to visit more often.

You are correct Braga does throw a wrench in the calculations. Hopefully results go our way this weekend as our final game is away at Maritimo which is traditionally a match where we don't win very often.

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind :)

Tomorrow can clinch it.

Good luck tomorrow!

8. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yup Braga failed to score a late PK and dropped points.