Pope or Marshall?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tkgunn, Dec 4, 2005.

1. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    If the last CB position comes down to these 2 who would you pick?

2. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope, his experiance will also help in the lockeroom.

3. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    If we take 4 cbs, then Gibbs, Gooch, Boca, and Berhalter.

4. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forogot about Berhalter, in that case I dont think Pope or Marshall will get called up.

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Sean. But if I had to choose, I'd go with Marshall. Pope is past it, except as a reserve.

6. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Forget for a second who we are actually bringing to the WC. I'm interested in who you guys would pick if it came down to these 2. The aging experienced Pope who probably wouldn't start or the up and coming chad marshall?

7. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Eddie Pope's decline since that offseason fainting spell two years ago
    has been precipitous. I'd rather Marshall.

Our cb depth chart starting from the best would imo be:

1. Gooch
    2. Gibbs
    3. Boca
    4. Berhalter
    4. Conrad. Berhalter gets the edge because WC is in Germany
    5. Marshall

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither. I'd take Spector as the "fifth" CB, since he can be the 2nd/3rd RB and LB.

9. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005
    You're crazy if you think Conrad is at the same level as Berhalter. With the chemistry Gooch and Berhalter have been developing, if they are both healthy, they will be our starting CB's in the first game of the WC. I'd put Califf, Pope and Marshall ahead of Conrad.

As for Pope or Marshall, I'm going to save my vote until after January camp.

10. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bring Pope in a Llamosa type role... up by a goal, need an additional marker... for as much as neither would never see the field, in the odd event that one of the two is needed, i'd rather have the one that might not be overwhelmed by the surroundings or the magnitude of the event...

11. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I don't think either of them will make, theres just too much depth at that position and they are too far down the totem pole.

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope, experience is required. Especially for someone to help mark attackers in an intimidating stage.

13. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Conrad had an extremely good Gold Cup and was the 'revelation' of the
    cup in the eyes of the no less than Beez and Arena. He has the size
    and technical skills. Berhalter has been shaky at times but has played
    well of late. If the tourney were held in the Americas, Conrad would have
    the edge imo.

And Arena has already stated that Gibbs and Gooch are his first choice.
    Hell Berhalter is below Boca.

14. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ

Are you able to read? I never asked who your top 5 CB's are. I asked who you would take to the World Cup between Eddie Pope and Chad Marshall.

15. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    I'd be suprised to see Conrad in Germany

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no i would take marshall over Spector in the CB position. Marshall is bigger and Spector is better in getting into the attack which is perfect for the LB or RB position

17. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005
    Is that why Gooch and Berhalter started against Mexico in Columbus when Boca was available?

Conrad doesn't have anywhere near the technique of a WC caliber CB. He did decent in the Gold Cup but hasn't improved a lick from his performance then - including dismal showings in Guatemala and the little time he had in Scotland. Things change but if the WC started tomorrow and everyone was healthy, I would bet the farm that Gooch and Berhalter are starting.

18. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    I think it will come down to Pope or Marshall for that 4th spot at CB and I think Pope will get it, just to be used as a defensive sub because of his experience. Boca will be a more versatile player, moving between CB and LB whereas Spector (I hope) will be a LB and Eddie Lewis can also pinch in there.

Also, Arena will find someway to have Pope on that roster, let's just hope its reasonable and not taking away from someone better (if that's even possible).

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Califf, due to his 2,005 MLS performance but I'd still have Gooch, Gibbs, Boca and Berhalter ahead of Danny even if I have to play two left-footers as a pairing.

20. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    id choose Pope, if Twellman can school Marshall as many times as he has in MLS games, just imagine what better international forwards could do.

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offseason fainting spell? I don't think I ever heard about that happening... especially given the BigSoccer reaction to something like that would normally be to dig up as many details on it as possible. I'm surprised we didn't get a full neurology report posted here when it happened.

22. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I'd buy them both a 47" HD TV so they can watch the World Cup in all its glory.

23. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Bocanegra was seriously out of form then. I'd bet on him getting the nod
    over Berhalter.

And Arena already said Gibbs and Gooch were his first choice and it's not
    Berhalter has gotten any better.

24. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005
    'Seriously' might be a little bit of a stretch. Though, I acknowledge he had recently been injured.

I saw this the first time you posted it and kinda dismissed it on purpose. Bruce has changed his mind before. My guess is that when he said that, it was entirely true but Gibbs has missed valuable time with the team which has enabled Gooch and Berhalter to form a very effective partnership.
    But the chemistry between Gooch and Berhalter has gotten much much better. Like I said, if everyone was healthy and the Cup started tomorrow I would expect Gooch and Berhalter to start...but, I would not be completely shocked if Gibbs was starting.

If Gibbs can develop the chemistry with Gooch that Berhalter has over the next 6 months, then I'd pencil him in as the starter. But right now, Gooch and Berhalter have something very good going on and considering the Euro guys won't be with the team again until March, I don't know if Gooch and Gibbs will have time to develop that chemistry.

25. Darthspud

Darthspud New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    El Paso, TX
    Neither. Pope is too old and slow. Marshall is too green.