Poland vs. USA March 1st - Lineups, Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Smoga, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Karny9, thank you for the scores.

I am looking very forward to the game. I think both teams are very good, and many of the players will have a lot to play for. Because of that, I think the game will be entertaining to watch and also very close.

I would not put too much stock in the historical results. Obviously, the creation of a domestic league has vastly improved the quality of the US program. I think the results from 2002 to the present will be more representative of the future of the series.

I haven't seen "Magic" Zurawski play lately. I will look for him. I hope he is not too easy to spot. ;)

2. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    lol...I'm sure we'll have a close game as the U.S. are a strong side with excellent chemistry and we are fielding most of our top players.

As for the history, I really don't care for it much, especially with all the changes in both our programs lately, which make the teams we field today much different than the ones we fielded 20 years ago.

I just hope that no one gets injured in this game and that we narrow down our choices for our respective WC squads.

3. pogon

pogon New Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Sanford,USA
    Being Polish -American here is my prediction:
    Poalnd - USA 1:3
    GO POGON SZCZECIN.

4. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    not even the american-americans are predicting a score that big. Most of them think that there'll be a draw or a slim victory for either side.

If you changed the numbers around, than maybe I could persuade myself to agree with you:p

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

6. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    This game won't be 1-1 or 2-1, this game will be a high scoring open affair. One team scores at least 3, and I wouldn't be surprised by a 4-3 or 4-2 scoreline (for Poland or the US). Poland is a high scoring team but we all know we are weak at the back so we'll conceed at least 2.

7. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    WOW...... As one of the American - Americans Karny9 mentioned, I don't think the scoreline will be that one-sided.

I think it will be more like a 1-1 or 2-2 game. However, I will be a little more daring and predict a 2-1 US win.

8. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    I say 2-0 for us, goals by Krzynowek & Zurawski

9. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I would agree with Milicz that the scoreline will be high, with once exception: this is the first match of the seaason and we usually suck at those. But if our team has matured to the extent that we hope that it had, then a high scoring game with 3 or 4 goals for Poland is likely.

10. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    idk if poland takes this seriusly whicj they seem then maybeeeeee

11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    All our US sides, even the most pathetic domestic incarnations have all combined to allow four goals in a game ONCE in the past nine years. In that period of time we've played more than 125 games, and I believe we've played Argentina, Holland, Brazil, and Germany a combined 14 times minimum in that period of time. The US just doesn't allow a lot of goals, even the bad sides we've had. To put it in perspective, the three you scored against us nearly four years ago in the Cup was the last time any side had scored more than two goals against our relatively first choice XI. I'd be surprised if the US allowed more than 1 goal, and incredibly shocked if the US allowed 2 or more. In Brazil's last eight games against us they've totaled 7 goals in regulation.

We don't have the most famous names in the world by any stretch, but Arena's US Nats generally do a nice job of defending as a team. I'll eat crow if what some of you suggests come to pass, but to me imagining four Polish goals is like imagining the UAE scoring four against Brazil a few months ago. Ridiculous. I'm not basing that on partisan views, but rather real, actual results, more than a hundred of them against great, good, mediocre and bad sides alike.

Likely scores:

I'd say there is a 75-80% chance that the result will be 1-0, 1-1, or 2-1. I'd give a scoreless tie about 10% chance of happening and anything more than that a 10-15% of happening.

12. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    He lives in Nevada. You should listen to his percentages. Those Vegas guys are good. ;) I think this game will be close.

4 goals might have a slightly better chance of happening against the Europe-based US guys than the MLS-based team that just finished up the games here. They haven't been training together nearly as much as our domestic backs.

As another American of Polish descent, I must say I'm equaly pumped for this game. Both sides will show those silly Germans how to really play the game. :D

13. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Well said grandinquisitor.....

I will also eat crow if we give up 4 or 5 goals. I seriously can't imagine this team giving up more than 2 goals. That is why I am predicting a draw or a US 2-1 win. In the past, the US has sometimes looked bad going forward. But, they typically defend well as a team and do not give up many goals.

However, I hope Poland is as good as the Polish fans on this board think and really test our team. I think we will give Poland a good test as well.

14. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    As long as we are predicting scores here Ill go with 2-1 for Poland. (1:1)
    Goals for Poland by Franek and Smolarek. Rasiak keepin the bench warm for 90. Beasley for the US.

15. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Couldnt help but notice you predicted 3-1 for the US in your forum. 3 cheers for diplomacy :D

16. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Zurwaski brace 2-1 Poland ;)

17. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I expect one of the sides to net 3-4 goals for a couple of reasons, I'm pulling for Poland but it wouldn't surprise me if the US netted 3 or 4 against us because we are weak at the back and give up 2 goals on a regular basis, although we haven't given up more then two goals since a 5-1 drubbing by the Danes in 2004. On the other side of the coin, we have scored 3 or more goals 12 times in the past 19 games (63% of the time). So we score 3 or more on a regular basis, I just don't see a defensive, tepid match with players fighting for a spot on the WC roster. I think a scoreless tie would be viewed as a disaster in Poland.

18. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    We seem to have a clash of styles: The US scores few goals and gives up less; Poland gives up a lot of goals and scores more. Can't wait for the game!

19. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    LOL... You caught me... I was being more diplomatic here... ;)

I do think it will be a good game. We have people fighting for spots all over the field as does Poland. So, we may see more goals than many are predicting with the attacking players looking to impress.

And, Milicz is making me more nervous with those stats coupled with both teams fighting for spots on their respective sides. I can't wait and hope I am not eating crow for dinner tomorrow night.....

20. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
  21. Vasiljevic

Vasiljevic New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    yes GO POLAND
    from a serb

22. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    surprising considering we'll be playing eachother in a few months time

23. Vasiljevic

Vasiljevic New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    a friendly? havent heard this, where did you hear?

24. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    no in qualifying for Euro

25. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    All right boys, game tomorrow, got zywiec & okocim cooling in the freezer, tv set for the game....

It's gonna be a good one, lets pull out the win and stick it to everyone afterwards