Points by Audi Field

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Mar 25, 2018.

?

So how many points will DC United have when Audi Field opens?

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 8

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  4. 10+

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    as this team is currently constituted I don't see more than a draw at Philly (if lucky) and a draw at NE (maybe).

So I can get to 4.

2. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A win and three draws seems a little less crazy now, huh? 2-2 draws seem to be all the rage in the league this season, I don't think it's unrealistic for there to be another one of those in the cards for DC between now and Audi.

3. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    8 is looking solid. 10 is now possible (one win will do that) but I am still going to be amazed if they look like they are ready to actually beat a team vs. just survive one...

whatever will lead to the most frustration for people with eyes and a love of the sport and the least change -- that's the likelihood.

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    5 is looking really good right now.

ejs1111 repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Is that taking the rumored 2 week opening delay into consideration?

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I hadn't heard about that delay. That said, we will not be favored vs Whitecaps or Atlanta. So yea, I'll stick with my 5.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed on 4 but who expected an actual win.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United are now at 8 points after their win last night.

Winoman repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m hoping for more though I picked 8.

For my son’s sake I hope for a 1-1 draw next week but he said that LAFC isn’t San Jose and that DC would get a manita dropped on them.

I will likely come up an mingle with the Barra when I can next week.

James

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a while, I thought United needed to be at 14 points by the time Audi Field opened to have a respectable "start" to the season given all the road games, which, for purposes of this poll, meant 10+ (which is what I chose). They've got 8 now; 14, while unlikely, is still possible.

LAFC should be without their World Cup players. It's hard to judge them without Vela, Urena, and the rest, but at least a tie isn't out of the question.

Seattle is shockingly hot garbage, absolutely can't score, and will be without Lodiero, Torres, and Svensson. I would consider it a very winnable game now.

The quick turnaround to Toronto is unfortunate, as they're underachieving for sure. However, I don't think United manage to get the points there.

New England is always a winnable game for United. A 6 point game in the playoff race should be on the players' minds.

The quick turnaround to the Galaxy is also unfortunate. Even with Kamara and Zlatan, they're hot garbage. The Dos Santos brothers should still be in Russia then, too. If United's backline can keep Kamara and Zlatan in check, who knows?

I know this is overly optimistic for this forum, but if they somehow pull off a record of 2-3 (or even better) on this stretch, they would have escaped this trip at a PPG (or more!), and it can give them a lot of momentum heading into the Audi Field opener.

GumbyG, Winoman, ElApacheTevez and 3 others repped this.
  11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I still have them on single digits. This made up most of the loss to Philly, but I still had them snagging a point here, which leaves them a point under where I had them at this point.

12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Now at the heretofore unthinkable 8.
    3 points from 5 games, puts them at the unattainable 10+ points. Maybe even a symbolic win at LA v the Gals on Independence day.
    Send Clark out on a mission to sell 500 premium tickets door to door in Youngstown OH. Tell him he can play again when all the checks clear.

Adler repped this.
  13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number is 9.

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9.

PSURoss, dadman, ElApacheTevez and 3 others repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually give us favorable odds against both Seattle and Toronto right now. Not in the same week, but...

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would actually be disappointed after the past couple games if United can't get all 3 points out of Seattle.

16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. They need to go for the win from the first second. Very winnable game.

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Seattle and Portland (amongst others) is the turf. It negates any advantage a good passing team has.

James

18. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've always felt like the superior technical team has a big advantage on turf because they are better at handling the ball.

Your point, however is that a good passing team is at a disadvantage and I still think that can be true. There's more to being a good passing team than having technique on the ball. Teams that emphasize those other elements will struggle. The early DCU teams had this problem as many players didn't have the best 1st touch, but they moved off the ball very well.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to point out here me and the rest of the 21.3% have won the poll, with a good chance for points still in LA and NE (Revs are good, but we've played them well for many seasons now). Low bar of 10 points, but still.

DCUSKINS, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My four draws are long gone.

21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of the 10 who voted for 10+ points! Woooo. Or something.

Winoman repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you and I also share a spot in Stokes' Army? :D

to the low guessers:
    oh ye of little faith (who want me to believe your rants in other threads like you know sumthin')

Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Stunned to be on 10 ... Turmoil in Orlando, Revs coming back to the pack, LA in the shitter.

24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Stokes? Loved him

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    10 points from 14 games is setting the bar so low the next step down is getting a Red Bulls Jersey for Fathers day--------------------------------------- from your Mother. However, I was right in the poll but that's no accomplishment to brag about