Please help us Save The Crew

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the chances of Columbus getting another team look a lot slimmer than what the Quakes faced after their relocation.

2. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 jetdog9, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    This commercial has been on a lot lately... I know it's coincidental as Continental Tire's colors just happen to be black and yellow, but is anybody else irked by the irony here?

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've always been irked by the corporatist adaptation of grass-roots impulses in that commercial, not to mention Alexi Lalas. Didn't think much about the color scheme, but yeah, that adds to the nails-on-chalkboard effect. :)

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  5. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What does this actually mean in reality?

6. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Signed, sorry was in a bunch of appointments.

7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Which part? The law or the statement?

8. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What can that law actually do?

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the most it can do is delay the matter.

10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a good point. It maybe gives Precourt more room to pursue Austin. I’ll bet this is what happens:
    1. Suit by Ohio Attorney General proceeds
    2. Crew play to <7,000 crowds in 2018 season
    3. In Jul-2018 Precourt starts asking STHs to renew for 2019
    4. In Oct-2018 the lawsuit is resolved in Precourt’s favor, and he announces the Crew departure is delayed until 2020. He refuses to refund 2019 STH renewals
    5. Crew play to <3,000 crowds in 2019 season and earn the wooden spoon
    6. In Mar-2020 team officially starts season in UTA football stadium and plays there for 3 years

11. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well the law would seem to state the before the team can be moved.

1. The state would have to agree to let them play their home games in another state

or

2. Allow the state or some other entity the opportunity to purchase the team

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maverick Stadium?

[​IMG]

That's awfully far from Austin.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like we found the inspiration for Lew Wolff's initial submission to the San Jose planning department. :)

Goodsport repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t look it up. University of Texas at Austin doesn’t have its own football stadium?
    If not, my apologies!

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was having a little fun.

"UTA" is the generally accepted acronym for the University of Texas at Arlington. "UT" is the generally accepted acronym for the University of Texas at Austin, which was formerly just the University of Texas before the University of Texas System was founded in 1967.

If and when the Crew move to Austin, they'll likely play at Mike A. Myers Stadium, which opened in 1999, has a capacity of 20,000, is home to UT's track and women's soccer programs, and is a pretty basic stadium but at least has a sufficiently large grass field, albeit one surrounded by a track. However, UT's athletic department is throwing a little cold water on that idea, likely because they know they've got Precourt over a barrel because there's really no other suitable facility in Austin:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/b...-one-and-done-players/FDQF7qW8Nc9hJrZ84NM8BK/

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Heh, this sounds familiar. Wolff's initial stadium attempt here in the Bay Area was a joint project with San Jose State. Now SJSU is nowhere near UT's league in college football, yet they have delusions of grandeur. In the end Donald Kassing, SJSU's president at the time nixed the deal, puffing up his bad a$$ SJSU feathers to try to impress the alumni. SJSU will not cater to the whims of some big money business type, especially one that is associated with .... soccer!! (Because who cares about soccer anyway?).

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In regard to the Ohio AG and his comments..... He was merely serving notice to PSV and MLS that they need to play by the rules. The law is pretty loose in my eyes and I'm not even an attorney.
    First, it has to be determined that the Crew have benefited from public tax dollars. I think most non attorneys would say that playing on state property at a below market lease and paying no state property taxes would constitute "benefiting from public tax dollars). Additionally, the state (more appropriately, the Ohio Exposition Commission) paved the parking lots at the behest of the Crew in 2009. Again, this appears to a non law person like me to meet that standard.
    Second, the team has to give six months notice before they move. What does "notice" mean? Flying a banner over an OSU game? Ads in the Dispatch? I'm sure there's a legal definition of "notice", but it's not spelled out in the law specifically.
    Third, the law states that there needs to be an opportunity for a local purchase. But the law doesn't stipulate what that means exactly. No where does it say that the team MUST be sold if a reasonable offer is made. Just that the opportunity has to exist. Precourt could say, "Yeah, I'll sell locally, but for $500 million." Does that meet the standard?
    Basically if PSV/MLS give six months notice and listen to local offers, they've satisfied the law. If not, DeWine will take them to court. If they go to court, and they won't, the Discovery phase would kill MLS.

markmcf8 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed! :D ... :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G