Please help us Save The Crew

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderators, if you feel this is in poor taste, please don’t hesitate to delete. Thank you in advance.

Hello Atlanta United fans. First, let me congratulate you guys on your inaugural season. Y'all blew away expectations on AND off the field. Y'all have so much to be proud of this year, and many exciting seasons to come. Apart from games against us, I loved watching you guys play this year. Please don’t think I’m coming to troll, I’m simply coming to ask for your help. Many of you have publicly expressed your support of for the situation that we Crew fans are finding ourselves in. For that we thank you.

I ask that you give us just 60 more seconds of support to go to https://savethecrew.com/letter and sign the letter. You can select your club at the bottom and I believe that the more fans from around the league that sign this, the louder the collective voice will be.

Selfishly, I say “thank you” for helping support us in this time of need. But also, I remind you to think about the other teams that this could happen to. Some day in the future, this could happen to your team as well. Please don’t let the league start a bad precedent.

Thank you,

Ian Fontaine

2. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Done. As an individual that enjoyed the Thrashers I fully appreciate the sting of losing a team. Solidarity, brother. Hope this all works out in your favor

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of honest questions:

Your attendance is terrible. Cincinnati attendance is outstanding and they are USL. There is not room for two MLS teams that close together. Why do you deserve a team instead of them?

While I don't personally know as I haven't been there, apparently your stadium is not in a very good location and your city and it's voters are not willing to relocate to a better one. Again logic would dictate that since you guys aren't willing to move to a better location and your attendance is poor, you don't deserve to be saved.

Prove me wrong and I'd be glad to support.

I want to see MLS succeed in all locations. High attendance, great stadiums in downtown locations, great young talent like we've done in ATL rather than being a retirement league, etc. I've yet to see a reason why you guys deserve to be saved when a neighboring city is crushing your attendance numbers and their city seems to be on board with the team.

The way MLS has handled this and apparently lied to San Antonio about Austin is very poor and looks horrible on them but from everything I see you guys don't deserve to be saved. Atlanta residents went through their own struggle with this when Cobb and the Braves secretly moved the team without anyone's knowledge.

Not poking fun and congrats on beating us and doing well in playoffs! Just looking for an honest reason why you or any other Crew can explain how you guys deserve to keep a team when Cincy has put in such a great bid.

4. ohiotiger

ohiotiger Member

Oct 23, 2017
    The simple answer is the team isn't struggling both attendance wise or business wise. They have never had the worst attendance in the league in over 20 years. I encourage you to read this article to answer your questions:
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/8/16618962/columbus-crew-relocation-austin-financial-records

Also, as to Cincy, there are a couple of things to say:
    1. They are playing on a college campus and have very cheap tickets for students (I want to say $5 but I'm not 100% certain of that). Easy to draw fans that way, don't think it would continue if they move up to MLS.
    2. They are actually trying to market the team, unlike Precourt
    3. There is room in MLS for both.

5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you're not in last place in attendance that mean's you're doing well? Can't say I disagree with anything in the article. Is the poor location part of the poor attendance numbers?

Saying there is room for both Cincy and Columbus in MLS limits your personal credibility to zero. That will never happen. Will be interesting to see how the San Antonio lawsuit plays out and what if anything comes out in discovery.

6. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I think you are wrong in that their can't be a team in Columbus and Cincinnati. The NFL and MLB have teams in Cleveland and Cincinnati. Columbus isn't Cleveland, but isn't far from there, plus it is sports crazed. One thing you have to remember is that Ohio is one of the high populated states so it can definitely support multiple teams.

Note: This isn't a post in favor keeping the team in Columbus. I think it was tragic that Columbus couldn't get more than 14K (I think) for a playoff game. That isn't the way to get the attention of the country to try and keep a team there.

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

I'd like to address a couple things in regards to the attendance and in doing so, I hope I do it respectfully.

1. No. We are not last in the league in attendance this year. And no, we're not doing awesome in that regard this year. 2017 average was just north of 15k/game. That is almost 15% drop from our average last year (which was the best under Precourt's tenure).
    2. If you look at attendance in relation to capacity (which is how we have to do it since we've played in multiple stadiums with multiple capacities), current configuration of Mapfre is 19,668 or something similar. Last year's attendance was north of 85% capacity on average. We actually set a team record for total attendance and number of sellouts. 2014, 2015, & 2016 were the three best years in terms of capacity in the history of the club. The fan base overwhelmingly responded to Precourt's ownership. So what happened? There are lots of theories.
    3. One theory is that the front office slashed the marketing advertising budget. They also stopped marketing to certain demographic groups. I don't know if the budget theory has merit, but the VP of marketing, Arica Kress went on a podcast earlier this year and admitted that they stopped doing community involvement events.
    4. Another interesting point is that there were 10+ promotional nights (think posters, mini balls, buck a brat, dollar beer nights). This year, I think there were less than
    5. Speaking of Buck a Brat night, that was a Crew original. We created it way back in the day. Johnsonville was a big sponsor, the whole works. We stopped it this year and replaced it with "half off" night. That meant everything at the concession stands was 50% off for the first 15 minutes of the match. Yeah. You read that right. Instead of $9 beers and $4.50 regular hot dogs, you could spend $7 on those things if you got them at the concession stands at the beginning of the match.
    6. I've not been to an FCC game down there but they seem to do a great job marketing their club. Lots of promos, great atmosphere. Cheap ticket. For awhile, you got a buy one get one free at the box office if you were wearing a soccer jersey of ANY team. Comparable season tickets to their season are about half what Crew season tickets are. And we've been reminded incessantly that our ticket prices are the cheapest in the league. And the previously mentioned $5 student tix are real as well.

Hopefully that illustrates some of the challenges. No, we are not the worst. We ARE in the bottom quartile. Ironically you know who IS worse? Houston. Oh, and Dallas. The other two Texas teams. We have a lot of work to do. Unfortunately it looks like the owner decided that he doesn't want to work hard at it. He wants to spend MLS 1.0 money and get MLS 3.0 results.

Thank you all again for your support where you've offered it. I'm sorry this is so long. I tend to be very long winded.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Done.

Regardless of what anyone feels about them as a team or a city, HOW this is being done is deplorable and sets a bad precedent. As I've said before, the notion that owners demand we as fans follow a team through thick and thin should at least mean they respond in kind. In this regard Precourt has done pitifully in his outreach to the Crew community, almost as if the polar opposite of our beloved Uncle Arthur. This at a time when MLS needs to tout its stability and fan relations above all.

It's not like he's even moving to LA and having a stadium built for him, fer cryin out loud.

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea about Houston or their problems with attendance but FC Dallas should be called FC Frisco. It's almost an hour north of downtown Dallas. When it was first built, there was nothing but farm land around there. A lot more development closer to there now but that is definitely still a huge part of their attendance problems.

12. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017

On one hand, the "business metrics" aren't good and that matters. It's not just the attendance that is lacking. The Crew don't have much in the way of local corporate sponsorship, they have the lowest jersey sponsorship in the league, the lowest overall team valuation according to Forbes, and the least valuable stadium. Anthony Precourt paid just $60 million for both the team and stadium in 2013, at a time when start-up costs for expansion teams were at least $250 million with expansion fees and a new stadium combined. Meanwhile, Taylor Twellman claims the next closest bid was only around $25 million. That kinda says it all.

Meanwhile, MLS is at a critical stage of its growth and needs thriving clubs in thriving markets to maximize the value of the next TV deal and begin to really increase the investments in payroll, facilities, and academies that will be necessary to bring MLS to global legitimacy. So, from a pure business perspective, it's no different than the team relocations we've seen in every other professional American sports league.

That said, without Columbus, there would be no Atlanta. The original clubs built the most successful and lasting first division soccer league our country has every seen and we wouldn't exist without them. But they are now saddled with trying to overcome perceptions of MLS that were created 22 years ago, when the product wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Most of the original 10 franchises are struggling by comparison to the clubs that came into the league later, once it was already stable and had some degree of credibility. Miami lost their team, San Jose moved to Houston before getting a new team, and several other early clubs aren't doing all that much better than Columbus, including Colorado, Dallas, Chicago, New England, and even DC (although they do have a new stadium coming next year).

More importantly, the owner is more important than the market. Just look how the Braves did under Ted Turner compared to now, or how the Falcons (and now AUFC) have done under Arthur Blank compared to prior owners. Same goes for the lousy ownership groups we had for the Hawks and Thrashers. With a local, committed owner, Columbus might do a lot better also. Consider the turnaround in Kansas City. They struggled mightily until they went through an ownership change and re-branding. Now they are a model franchise with a long waiting list for season tickets. Meanwhile, the Green Bay Packers are in the smallest market in the NFL, yet have one of the league's strongest brands and most loyal followings. Point being, did the market really fail or did the owner fail? How much more successful could Columbus be with just a little marketing?

Finally, the sense of permanency and connection that a club has with its fans is one of the things that sets soccer apart from every other professional sport in this country. It's a lot more like college sports in that regard and that's one of the primary reasons many of us like it so much. If we just let MLS become another mercenary league like the NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL, it loses a lot of its appeal. We've only had Atlanta United for one year, and I already care more about this club than any professional team I've ever followed. Why? Because it feels like they are really MY team. We don't want MLS to ever lose that. Can you imagine a team like Manchester United or Liverpool moving to London simply because it was a better market? How about the Ohio State Buckeyes moving to Texas because it offered better "business metrics?"

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm wondering why that's the case. It would seem that the newer clubs would be the ones to suffer. Were newer clubs allowed to enter under rules that might give them an advantage?

That, to me, is a tough call. I'm no baseball aficionado, but I do know this: Ted owned the Braves for 20 years, but it took him 15 to get 'em right. He's got more last-place finishes than first. He does have the ring, tho, and if you wanted to say he got the ball rolling, you'd be right. But the Braves have been better by the numbers in the 20 years since he sold than they were under him. I watched from the early 90s to the mid 2000s, when they finally broke my give a damn. It got to the point where I didn't need to care about the reg season because it wasn't even competitive --the Braves were straight killing folks-- and then I'd sit on front of the TV during the postseason scared to care because I knew it was all gonna come apart somewhere. And it always did, except for 1995.

The Falcons before Blank had to play Unitas' Colts (briefly), Montana's Niners, and two separate great Rams teams (the Fearsome Foursome and the Greatest Show on Turf) as division opponents. They moved to the NFC South (new ground, no existing rivalries) the same season Blank bought them, IIRC. That might have swayed his decision. They are better now than they were, but they've had lesser competition, certainly as individual players go.

At this point, the team would probably have to be sold to another local owner for <Dr. Dimento> Columbusoids and Columbusites </Dr. D>to part with their money.

Green Bay's been around for generations and has won a ton, early, middle and recently. Plus, it's Green Bay. The NFL is all they have.

This. Haven't cared like this since caring about my HS's football record.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quoting myself to add to this. What a team in ATL has done for me is make me a fan of a league I used to bash mercilessly while not knowing anything about them. I held it against the league that there wasn't a team in Atlanta the whole time. I mean, it's your favorite sport, there's a league in your country but no team near you. That didn't encourage me to support the league- in fact, it made me mad. But I looked up one day last month, saw that it was October and I had no idea what the EPL or Liga table looked like. Didn't know what was going on in the Champions League. But I've gone out of my way to watch more soccer this year than any other year of my life. That's because I have a team now. And because I have a team, so do I have a league. The only matches I haven't seen are the ones that weren't available that matchday.

Eleven Bravo and GoDawgsGo repped this.
  15. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Totally agree. Having your own team is a game-changer. I used to watch a handful of MLS games, but I was never emotionally invested because we didn't have our own team. So, I was more passionate about watching Liverpool on Saturday or Sunday mornings (or whatever big EPL game was featured that week).

But from the moment I heard ATL was getting an expansion franchise, that has completely flipped. I'm ALL-IN with Atlanta United and MLS and care about it far more than EPL or any other professional American sport. Now that we have our own team, I find myself watching other MLS games that don't even involve Atlanta because it has spurred my interest in the league in general. I realize that the quality of play isn't on the same level as the top European leagues, but I don't care. College football isn't as good as the NFL, but I like it better because of the connection fans have to their teams. And it's not like Miguel Almiron, Joseph Martinez, Tito Villalba, and Brad Guzan are a bunch of scrubs. The quality of play is still legit, professional soccer.

Thus my sympathy for Columbus potentially losing their club. In other threads, I've argued the business side of that decision because that view is underrepresented on these forums. Everyone is so caught up in bashing the owner or MLS that they dismiss the financial realities. But I'd rather see an original club make a turnaround, like Kansas City did, than move to a new market.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I think the key issue is newer clubs joined a more popular and credible league, particularly in the post-David Beckham era when MLS suddenly became cool, whereas the original clubs are trying to market a product whose image was established back when the league was considered a joke to many. Ultimately, it's hard to re-brand a product and get a big spike in sales when you're marketing to the same consumers. So, Columbus have never been able to get over the 17-18K mark in attendance.

Point being, commitment matters. With Ted Turner and Arthur Blank, we've had deeply-committed, deep-pocketed, local ownership groups and that has led to the most successful eras we've seen in both wins and attendance for both the Braves and Falcons. By contrast, any time we've had an out-of-town corporate ownership group, the teams have suffered. Same market, yet entirely different results, largely due to the ownership.

I think Precourt has had a $75 million offer for 50% of the team (more than he paid in 2013 for the entire club), but has declined. Bottom line is he had his heart set on relocation from the moment he bought the team, thus the escape clause in the purchase agreement.

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all day, everyday. It has been reported by numerous Columbus outlets that CP made a 50% offer for $75MM. They even took it down to 49% so AP would maintain control. What has also been said, but not confirmed anywhere I've seen that there was also a 100% offer made, but facts and figures about that are fuzzy.

BrewDog USA jumped into it late last week too signalling their desire to buy the club. Details aren't availabe as to what such an offer might look like, and as I understand it, the offer was laughed off the table. It's unfortunate because BrewDog is a global company worth somewhere north of $1BN.

ohiotiger repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I have ran into the worst fans as Columbus fans (I have ran into many awesome Columbus fans too) ...I don’t think any team should be hard done like this. This isn’t Chivas USA who were an embarrassment to the league. If this can happen to Columbus, it can happen to anyone.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I would also hate to see one of the original clubs move. Without Columbus, there would be no Atlanta.

But we can't ignore the economics. Does Columbus have a market and business model that will support aggressive spending on designated players? Do they make enough at the gate to spend the discretionary TAM that will be made available?

Discretionary payroll spending is about to accelerate and clubs that can't generate enough revenue to keep pace are gong to be left behind. That's why they are looking at a new market.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I don't think that law will hold up in court. At best, they can seek compensation for whatever public support was provided, but they won't be able to prevent a private business from moving out of their state (or a sale of that business to an out-of-state owner).

That said, legal and political issues like this can certainly slow the process. That, combined with potential complications on finding a suitable stadium site in Austin, could end up killing this move in the long-run.

Another potential consequence is this power-play will actually work against Cincinnati's bid. Will MLS want to add a 2nd team in a state where public support is needed for stadium infrastructure, yet politicians are threatening these kinds of actions? The political and business climate in a given state is a major consideration in expansion and this move therefore hurts Cincy.

Auriaprottu and msilverstein47 repped this.
  22. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well I was going to ask that one of you AUFC supporters #SaveHelenaTheAtlantaDogWhoLovesTooMuch but right before posting I checked and she's already been adopted. So thank you Atlanta! Amidst all the turmoil here in Columbus, this makes me feel better.

Email adoptions@fultonanimalservices.com for more great dogs. Helena's story is at the link. For a feel good moment here is Helena while waiting to be adopted. (also the photo that forced me to do this)
    1520439442005.jpg
    https://tinyurl.com/yad8ob5g