Please God give us a Finisher

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Allamerican74, Sep 11, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I say Dempsey...he is like TT, but more talented and crazier.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your reputation is safe for another week..Alesko scored 2. I love how he plays..he plays hard and with passion and seems to get better every week. And never gives up on a play...which is why he has such a good strike rate. Right now he is the heart of DC.

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I willl take retroactive rep. ;)

4. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Uh, yea because hes better.

5. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    eski is the poor man's zola

6. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Still young

7. AwayKit

AwayKit Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but Zola at what age?

8. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    is this another "gaven humper"?

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will everybody shut up about who's better.

Gaven and Adu will both make important contributions to the Nats on the field at the same time. Neither are close to 20 yet.

Hmmm - I wonder if Esky will get a cap or two if he continues this rich vein of form. He deserves it at least as much as Woly did - and how come nobody ever brings his name up when talking about US Strikers anyway

10. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I wondered that as well. Maybe it could be that Arena hasn't seen a good fit for him yet. As many have noted in other threads that the Bruce looks for a team that fits well against the opponent, not just the best available players. It could be that he will get a call up soon against an opponent that he could/should do well against. Most likely a friendly, too, not a WCQ.

As for the Twellman issue, I think he will get another chance.

As for the Adu/Gaven issue, both will get their chances. They are 2 different types of players so the comparison is virtually useless. Both are good players that will only get much better, IMHO.

I do hope that Eddie Johnson contunues to make positive strides because, if he does, he will become a mainstay up top for the Bruce.

11. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Our problem is that we have forwards that all just do a specific thing, none are the all around world class striker who is good at everything.

McBride/Ching/Casey/Buddle: More of the typical tall forward who is there to hold the ball and go for headers.

Donovan: More of an attacking mid then a true forward.

Kries/Razov/Twellman: More of the "poacher" type of forward good at being at the right place at the right time. Not particularly good at taking people on 1 v 1 or being special at one thing.

Adu/Gaven/Dempsey/Arnaud: Gaven may turn more into a winger or withdrawn forward then a true striker. Adu is too young wont be ready for a few years and still may turn into a number 10 then a number 9. Dempsey is probably another proven season or two away from getting the chance to take the spot, same with Arnaud.

Esky/Kirvoski/Noonan/Cunningham: These guys seem like they arn't all around talented enough to become a true worldclass striker. In time they may get there and alot of them seem to have the allaround balanced tools to do it but may not have enough talent to get them to the top.

Mathis/Johnson: These guys in my opinion are what being the all-around world class striker is all about. They can take people on 1 vs 1 and beat them with moves. Can shoot from far out or score with their head. They can also pass and move well off the ball. Also they have the poacher instinct. The problem is that Mathis was there but got hurt and hasnt come back all the way yet. Johnson is still a year or two and some more refined skill away from getting there.

So it seems that the US gets by with everyone pitching in and doing the best they can at the special thing they are good at. We dont have the, in their prime all around world class striker of Holland, Brazil, France, England. Hopefully we'll get there in time.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    He very well could be.

13. virgin pose

virgin pose New Member

May 5, 2003
    kentucky
    Several good points that I agree with so far. One thing I haven't read about Esky that I think may be his biggest strength is his ball striking ability on set pieces. He has 2 world class goals from free kicks on top of the box this year, absolute blasts into the upper 90. Not curling or bending, but on a rope. That dimension has been missing from the Nats for some time. Mathis into the wall vs Panama was a joke. Reyna will never be dangerous on set pieces. Esky could add that dimension, and along with his strong off the ball running, goal poaching and defensive pressure he has a lot going for him. I am also a fan of EJ for his speed and post up abilities. Hopefully one of these guys will emerge over the remainder of this season and next to claim a spot away from one of the twin towers.

14. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Excellent point about Esky's strikes on the ball. I'll tell you this, I would never, ever want to be in a wall with him taking the kick. If he mishit it and it went straight for me, I will be ducking and cringing. His left foot should be considered a lethal weapon. His shots are strong and low. They almost always seem to be on target.
    There was a shot he took earlier this season (can't remember the opponent) where he took a short corner to Stewart, I think, who one-touched it back to Esky as he was coming out from the corner. He took the shot and it screamed past the keeper just wide of the goal. Oh. My. Gosh. That ball had flames coming out of the back.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Because FrankenStriker scares women and children.

16. I agree about Eskandarian... he just seems to be in the right place at the right time, and he actually finishes instead of just shooting. He does have power, but he also places the ball intelligently when he shoots. He doesn't get much recognition because he isn't especially fast or strong, but he gets results when it counts. He actually reminds me a little of a younger Joe-Max, feisty and always ready to jump on a loose ball. I think for him a move abroad would do a great deal for him, because he has the kind of skills that translate to goals anywhere in the world. If I am not mistaken, and I may be, he and Ching have the most goals for Americans in MLS. The only reason that guys like Casey get so much PT is that Bruce salivates over european experience. Vanney and Hejduk for example. I think that eventually Eskandarian will get a shot, though maybe not for a while. It will be hard for Bruce to keep him out if he keeps scoring the way he has been. He also has the advantage that his father was a very good professional and international player, something that not many of our guys have.

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Ty Keough built a career off of his father's name.

18. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Good point about Eski reminding you of a young Joe-Max I hadnt thought of that till now.

19. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I don't think we need the next Thierry Henry, I think we need the next Dennis Bergkamp.

A great finisher like Eski (someone I would like to see brought in myself) would be a nice compliment up front...

20. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    So the Moderator mentioned Ching...ok based on 2 games against soccer minnows you're right.

When we have a true striker that can actually score against a European team I'll be happy. It's been 2 years but I still can't believe we completely dominated Germany in the WC but we couldn't get a goal because of poor finishing (yes I admit Kahn was good that night but we should have scored)

We do need someone like the strikers that most countries have...sometimes they even have two. Ching isn't anywhere close to a Henry, to a Owen, Ronaldo, so on and so forth.

21. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I am praying to God to open federation eyes so we do not have to put up any more with the coach carrousell ......

22. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I don't get why everyone keeps complaining about strikers. Has anyone considered that part of the problem might be that the midfield isn't getting the ball to the strikers in good positions? How many quality crosses into the box do you remember in the Panama game? That's kinda the point of having two 6'1 strikers.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This sums up Twellman's international career as a finisher:
    [​IMG]

24. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas

landon donovan is the finisher. he is playing the wrong position. He was the best forward on the usa so what happens hes moved to midfield. edson buddle hasnt been given a chance. come on bruce was at the 4 goal match and that wasnt a fluke match either that was buddle he can score 4 goals if he wants to. Buddle is the best forward in the mls he can finish and not just be the normal forward just score goals he can also create his goals and create goals for other players.

25. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in agreement with all the Eskandarian sympathizers out there. I've been real impressed with him this year - and it's not smoke and mirrors. He's just a hard worker and he's developed one powerful shot.

He's been capped right? Wasn't it in the Wales friendly if I'm not mistaken? Either way, I would hope that Bruce Arena would take a look at him before trying the Twellman experiment yet again (barring his good play against Mexico during the Donovan show) or EJ.

Eskandarian just plays the game with a lot of heart and grit. He's getting more and more deadly around the net and he hits with serious power, leaving no mistake. I just like the way he plays and he's really getting the results now that his hard work deserves. I have no problem with a call-up and a possible chance to shine.