Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by GHjelm, Jul 9, 2019.

?

Will the Fire make the playoffs?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2019.
  1. Yes

3.1%
  2. Yes, if Pauno is fired

21.9%
  3. No

59.4%
  4. Malort Raccoons making something stupid happen with rubber dicks

53.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know, I know.

But, despite this team's overwhelming incompetence and underperformance, they're only 1 pt outside of 7th place. That said, they have played a game more than the 4 trams ahead of us.

Sportsclubstats.com has the Fire at 41% chance as of today. If the Fire can get 6pts from the two winnable home game in the next week, that number goes up to around 54%.

In order to have a better than 50% chance for the rest of the season, the Fire will need 23pts from 14 games, half of which are at home and half on the road. That's 1.65 pts per game, an increase of .55 pts per game. Basically we need to earn 50% more points than we have been earning.

Bottom line, we need to win almost all of our home games and tie half of our away games, minimum, because I don't see us winning on the road.

rooked and xtomx repped this.
  2. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    would you rather make the playoffs as the 7 seed or win the new MLS-MX Leagues Cup?

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    i am going to go with winning the mls/mx cup. only because getting into the playoffs means nothing if you don't advance (especially if you get a first round exit), whereas if you win the other cup, at least you can say you had enough wins to do SOMETHING.

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you get a trophy for winning the MLS/MX Cup. When was our last trophy? 2006?

5. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs. If there is any advantage to the American style system is that a low seed doesn't mean bad. Just harder. Honestly who gives a ******** how they do in that tournament? It will be entertaining but, that's it

xtomx repped this.
  6. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to remember but, can't

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We won the best community thing or another a couple of years ago. That is like a trophy.[emoji6]

firefan2001 and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  8. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    JD POWER AWARD!!!
    PUT THAT ONE UP RIGHT NEXT TO THE US OPEN CUPS!!!

9. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conspiracy theory. A massive influx of spending and winning streak is coming. Unless they magically believe playing in a venue 3x the size will magically bring 3x people to the stadium.

LIZZIE and GHjelm repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree about the wins. I think we'll start to put points up more in line with how we should have been all season. That said, we'll fall just short of the playoffs.

11. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    going to be like the year we acquired mike magee. big second half surge and we fall one point short. after the season ends, we get a lot of "shoulda, coulda, wouldas."

GHjelm repped this.
  12. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    Fire are the ESPY's 2019 Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year

goldclover, xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

14. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mods, please close thread

skinut, xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread didn't say what year, so it could be 2020, 2021, 2022 etc....

16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak for yourself I'm in 2019

17. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busy with balls.

18. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wanna make sure I pour cold water and then a ton of concrete on anyone's idea that we could still make the playoffs:

According to sportsclubstats.com-

The Fire would need 18 pts from thier last 9 games to have a better than 50% chance at making the playoffs. Thats 2.00 pts/game. Only LAFC is doing that so far this season. Basically, they need 6 wins from 9 or 5 wins and 3 ties. We actually play all the teams that are between us and the playoffs. So that theoretically gives us a shot. We also play the only 2 teams behind us. Looks promising right? Nope.

The fire only have 4 games at home remaining. Even assuming we win all of those (including a game against conference leaders Philly), we would still need 6 points from away games against Portland (nope), NE, Columbus, Cincy, and Orlando. We generally win an away game every year or so and we just won one. Our current 12% chance of making the playoffs is about 10% too high.

firefan2001 repped this.
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or.......we could win 10 games in a row and be just barely guaranteed a playoff spot.

xtomx, skinut and bunge repped this.
  20. “While it is difficult to part with Jorge, who has defended the Club’s honor with all his might, acquiring Micheal provides us with more balance and options as we make our push for the playoffs,” said Chicago Fire Soccer Club President and General Manager Nelson Rodrίguez."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GHjelm repped this.
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also difficult to part with Jorge, come on you had to include the #1 allocation in the trade for somebody to take him. It wouldn't shock me if Montreal waives him before the season is over.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is not a real quote, is it?

"Difficult to part with Jorge"? Come on, he is the worst Fire defender since Manbun (the measure by which suck shall for ever be judged).

"...defended the Club's honor"?
    What honor? This "club" is completely without honor.

"...all his might?" So, he was doing his best, which means he just flat out sucks, then.

"as we make our push for the playoffs." Yes, Azira is going to lead the team to at least 6 victories in the final 9 games, likely the minimum we will need to make the playoffs.

Also, why haven't the Fire started to "make our push for the playoffs," yet? It would seem that "push" should start, oh, sometime around March.

Saturday's game was the team's second win since May.

If "new guy" will be our magic talisman (despite being a bench player his whole career) for our push for the playoffs, we should have signed him sooner. I scarce think how many points Corrales cost us this season.

GHjelm repped this.
  23. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The worst part about being an optimist is that you continually get your hopes up despite all evidence to the contrary.

My brain keeps saying:
    "This team has the talent to win 6 out of 9 games. And when you get to playoffs, anything can happen...."

Both of those are true statements, but an equally true and much more relevant statement is that we've had the talent to do that all year and haven't even come close.

xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree on all counts.

25. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000