Playoffs: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Monday, October 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 27, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Monday Night Football in Houston!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't think it was ever great or at the level they are capable of, but I thought when Sanchez came off the bench and was initially deployed centrally there were a few more chances. Play where he just scooped the ball over a defender comes to mind. The finishing had reverted to bad so it was all for naught, and to be real, there weren't a ton of chances.

But I found telling the fact that playing at home against a team down to bench mids and all its subs spent, he seemed lost for ideas. I agree it didn't feel that urgent which is amazing for the home leg of home and away. In fairness, some of that was Powell had Elis's number, but then the coach didn't seem to consider moving him either centrally or swapping sides.

2. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    Maybe because he never got the ball in scoring position? The d-mids used were woeful, where were they?

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He got outmatched by the good fullbacks from Portland on the night. Not saying the d-mids were great, but none of the forwards were able to hold the ball and allow the midfield to come and support. I would have pulled Elis in that game because he was worse than Quioto, but neither had a great game. Hoping for better on Sunday because we need them to.

4. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Re: grass quality

lets not forget that 30-40 inches of rain. its great that the pumps saved the stadium but it probably ruined the field and all the events after only made it worse.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all of the excuses on the field are garbage. This has been a problem since the 1st season and every time they change the type of grass or groundskeeper they champion the problem as “solved” but it never is. They’ve resorted now to talking about how the grass is designed to pucker up but still rolls fine and plays true.

Much of it goes back to stadium design flaws (similar to airflow and lighting glare) that can’t be fixed.

I have no idea of the field is truly unsafe or just aesthetically unpleasing. I did note late in the SKC playoff game that Matt Besler made a desperate tackle and almost burrowed into the ground until he stuck then got torqued around - seemed dangerous.

txsn repped this.
  6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There are All-weather pitches going up all around Houston. The grass here is terrible. But as far as not being able to keep a pitch in pristine condition this time of year, I have to take their word for it. It's not my field of expertise. I think they need to re-turf it though.

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now your owner is whining about the loss. Holy crap. If the Portland Timbers were wiped off the map tomorrow, no one would be upset. Insufferable owner now too.

*rey* repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose owner?

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think he is talking about Portland's owner. Not sure why TX Bill quoted your post.

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Timbers-owner-says-Dynamo-will-be-very-easy-12373970.php

I don't know about that "pretty big gap." I'll just point out that Portland won 2 more games than the Dynamo in the regular season but lost 1 more. It was a 3 point gap after 34 games.

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.