Playing overseas (Europe, Australia, etc.) and tips?

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccerguyo15, Oct 15, 2009.

1. soccerguyo15

soccerguyo15 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 3, 2008
    Gahanna
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to head overseas this upcoming spring/summer to try my hand at a few leagues (obviously not the Premiership!). My question is what exactly is the process in getting this done? Should I try and secure an agent? Is that the best way to find out about team tryouts?

A couple of my team mates have played overseas in Croatia, Austria, and Scotland so I could use them as contacts, but I'm sure an agent would be the best bet.

I can't use any college playing experience as ammunition as the University I went to didn't have a Men's soccer team. I have played in the 1st division of the CPL (Columbus Premier League - Amateur Status) for the last year as well as in consistently in the 1st Division Men's Open (7 years) in the Columbus Area Winter Leagues. I am doing a quite a few tryouts this winter for the USL 2 and PDL leagues, but I'm not exactly sure how things work overseas. How are the lower tiers compared to the United States soccer system?

I want to make this year, and the next, my last years of trying to see how far I can go. I'd greatly appreciate any tips, information, or experience from anyone who has tried this or knows the process.

Thank you very much everyone!

2. soccerguyo15

soccerguyo15 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 3, 2008
    Gahanna
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. I assume that there has to be a couple people on here that are familiar with this situation? Any tips are much appreciated.

3. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In Australia, particularly for a foreigner, opportunities are seriously limited. Your best chance is to trial at state league teams, but those are by no means professional or top-tier status. You would still be working to make a living.

Same applies in New Zealand, though they are perhaps a little more relaxed on who they might take in. There is only one professional team in New Zealand, who are part of Australia's A-League, and they will not be looking to accept any new players (foreigners, in particular, due to the league's foreign player cap, which most A-League clubs already use to capacity).

As for Europe, it would be difficult to find a place in a club, given your situation (experience, nationality, et al). Lower-tier English (professional) leagues still aren't likely to "waste time" by looking at you (not to seem harsh), and you would probably need to work your way up the ladder. I'd still recommend aiming towards semi-professional leagues, at best.

It's really hard to guage, since I have no idea about your characteristics (age, height, skill level).

Obviously no harm in trying out for some bigger clubs, but there's the matter of being as realistic as possible, given the circumstances.

Let's also not forget that, if you were going to these countries, you would also require a working visa.

4. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The bold is the truth. I learned first hand :)

5. soccerguyo15

soccerguyo15 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 3, 2008
    Gahanna
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really appreciate the advice guys! I understand the limitations that Americans have going overseas, especially if you do not already have a huge playing resume. I was looking to go semi-pro first, and take steps from then on.

The reason I am looking overseas is based on the amount of teams out there compared to a lot of the political nature of the US's USL 1/2/PDL leagues. Only three leagues for the entire country seems kind of small, especially with the disbandment of the MLS's reserve league. The leagues in Ohio are mostly men's amateur leagues of ex-pros and college players, but no teams that have focused coaches and practices and such, which is exactly what I am looking for again.

I am more than willing to earn my way up the playing ladder (how ever high I get).

Habitat, where did you try playing at?

Thanks again!

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Forget England, even the lower/ non-league clubs. Unless you can get a passport from an EU nation you can't play in England. They have strict foreign requirements. Visas are probably out because those are only short term and will run out.

Try some scandinavian countries Sweden, Denmark, maybe even Poland and Austria. Try to find some semi-pro teams in those countries. They don't have any foreign restrictions and seem to be friendly to yanks. You could hire an agent if you have the money.

I wouldn't worry about not playing in college. European teams/coaches have no idea what college soccer is.

I'm not going to say it can't happen. It just depends on your definition of pro. You can go pro but you may not be making a lot of money. If you love the game you'll do whatever it takes. The Yanks Abroad forum is great because we have guys every where you can think of. From the 6th division of Germany where they have a 2nd job, to Fiji!

7. soccerguyo15

soccerguyo15 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 3, 2008
    Gahanna
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arsenalfc08,
    I was looking into the Yanks Abroad like you mentioned, but wasn't really sure where to post. The majority of the Yanks Abroad forum seems to focus on where major Amercian soccer players are playing (correct me if I'm wrong). If you could point in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

I have applied for my passport as of last month, and narrowed down the countries I'm flying out to. A friend of mine has family in Sweden, so we're flying out to do trials in Sweden, Holland, and Italy over three months this summer. I also have a player contract in Austria as well. My question is "How can I find the directories and league listing for each of these countries"? Would they be all under FIFA's site somewhere? I'm just kinda lost where to start to find out what teams are available to trial with.

Thanks a ton guys!

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Becareful with Italy. You need an EU passport to play there. Sweden and Holland are good, they don't have any foreign restrictions. Also look into Poland, Belgium, and Norway.

I'd arrange trials before you get to these countries. You'll need to do work to make it happen. You can't just call or email them and ask for one, at least not at the top level clubs (1, 2, maybe even 3rd division).

Have you thought about an agent? It can be expensive but having someone able to "shop you around" and find clubs and negotiate a contract is good.

You can also check out this academy thing in Belgium http://www.royalracingfc.com/index.php One yank Niko Gkionis played for them and signed with a team in the Belgian 2nd division.

As for trying to find teams to trial for. Just google something like football leagues in Holland.

Here is a list of Fifa registered agents who reside in the USA. There are two from Ohio.

OKPE Felix O.
    4Tune Sports Ltd.
    10945 Reed Hartman Hwy, Suite 304
    CINCINNATI OH 45242
    felixokpe@yahoo.com
    Tel:+1-513/307 71 28
    Fax:+1-513/442 30 35

SHERLING Will
    IMG Center
    Suite 100, 1360 East 9th Street
    CLEVELAND OH 44114
    wsherling@IMGworld.com
    Tel:+1-216/ 436 3599
    Fax:+1-216/ 522 1145

You can pick whatever agent you want but I thought you should know there are some in Ohio. http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/playersagents/association=usa.html

9. soccerguyo15

soccerguyo15 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 3, 2008
    Gahanna
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arsenalfc08,
    Thanks a ton for that information. I just received my passport in the mail today, and spent most of the day emailing contacts that I have, including the two agents you mentioned. I'll keep you guys updated as things happen. Thanks again!

Joe

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    No problem glad to help. Check out this document http://ec.europa.eu/sport/pdf/doc276_en.pdf it explains which countries you will need work permits, non EU players versus EU players, etc particularly pages 17-22.

Keep us updated.

11. ImpossibleIsNothing

ImpossibleIsNothing New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    just out of curiosity, how old are you soccerguy? if you make it, ur a big inspiration to me. i wouldnt mind a bit of information on your skill level and position. can u hit knuckleballs (i cant, but im 14) how good are you. i guess you are pretty darn decent. good luck man.

12. ImpossibleIsNothing

ImpossibleIsNothing New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    also man, in Australia, u really need to work up the ladder fore a while, this takes years man, its a slow process. you would start in a local team, or go straight into reps, then, it can take years. even for a scout to find you. but, look at matt simon, star striker or the central coast mariners, in his early teens, he changed clubs to East gosford Rams (my club hehehehe), then, not untill he turned 20 yrs old i belive, he finally played regional reps (which remember, is only one step up from locally playing). he then soon after a year or so, progressed straight into a proffesional contract with central coast (profesional a-league team), without going into state teams or anything. Mariners look into their regional team (central coast lightning, which is only a step up form local remember, so i suggest the mariners man. Matt simon is currently 23 years old. good luck.

13. Tflash

Tflash New Member

Real Madrid
    Nigeria
    May 6, 2017

Hello soccerguyo15,

i am just new to this site, and i want to know if you are playing in a club yet?

14. David Rowley

David Rowley New Member

Liverpool
    Australia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Hey guys I have started a youtube account where i go to different clubs and then i interview the players there as well. I am from Australia and i have played in a few countries around the world (Thailand, Luxembourg, Germany and Australia). You will gain an understanding of what its like to play in another country and for that certain league. How often training is. how much you can earn etc. So far i have covered 4 teams, Fc Kaiserslautern (2nd division in Germany), Chemie Leipzig (4th division in Germany), Rehberge fc (7th division Germany), Grevenmacher (1st division Luxembourg): I will release a lot more videos in the upcoming weeks. Next week i will release the video called 5 things you should know about playing football in Germany. If you enjoy the videos, hit the like button and subscribe. Attached below is the link to my latest video on playing football in Luxembourg.

15. Peter Olaffson

Peter Olaffson New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Dec 14, 2020
    Hey bud.
    This is a very popular inquiry. But from our team's experience - the best chances to get into pro football either a) attending high-performance soccer academies b) attending pro football trials (like this trial for example) c) finding an agent who will be interested in your skills.

But, please, be advised the agents are overwhelmed with inquiries from players. Really. I mean, if some coach will not ask the agent on your behalf, it is very difficult to reach the real agent on your own. Thus, the best chance I would say a) or b)

Of course, if we are talking here about soccer players who live outside the EU/UK/US and would like to get into pro football. If you live in some EU country, with a local soccer club/academy (like Feyenoord in Netherlands) - it is a no-brainer to try them for starters.