Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 21, 2012.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok fine, point taken. However, since it is well understood can you clarify if you agree with BostonRed that Cajuste and Morales are ineligible?

2. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I haven't got anywhere near enough actual knowledge about the facts of any of the players to hazard a guess. Also, I don't make my living as a sports lawyer...

3. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FIFA could've given an exemption.

4. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FIFA often give exemptions to the five years after 18 rule. We have received a few for a few different players. They tend to be lenient when the immigration and subsequent citizenship happened for non footballing reasons. Ours have ranged from parents immigrating when the child was young and grew up to be a good local footballer to a couple who came in their teens as refugees and subsequently obtained Australian citizenships. The five year rule after 18 would mean they had to stay in Australia until 23 years of age and be ineligible for youth teams. With the exemption they can play youth football and sign a contract with a higher paying overseas club before they turn 23 and still play for the Australian national team. A person can apply for Australian citizenship after 4 years permanent residency (among other requirements)

6. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia are apparently the leading country for exemption requests.

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I can think of at least 4 who have played youth and/or national team football. There may be even more.

8. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pretty much every under-23 player born outside Australia would require an exemption.

BostonRed repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Unless they were eligible for citizenship at birth due to ancestry. The five years only applies to naturalised players who weren't eligible by birth.

10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    This article is in Portuguese, but the UAE is receiving some coverage in Brazil at the moment because Brazil is due to play South Korea in an upcoming friendly in the UAE.

Anyways, the UAE league is loosening up the foreign player regulations in their league, permitting teams to have 2 foreign players aged 18 or 19 (on top of 4 older foreign players), provided the player has never played for a youth national team in their birth country. LOL.

Surely FIFA will have to step in here at some point (even though it is technically permissible, for now). From the article, it looks like the UAE teams, with the help of Brazilian agents, are raiding Brazilian youth teams and bringing guys over who don't have space on the senior club teams (and who have not yet played for Brazil youth teams).

https://globoesporte.globo.com/sp/f...om-nova-regra-e-querem-reforcar-selecao.ghtml

Juniorcbr, deejay and HomietheClown repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #736 HomietheClown, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    That is an interesting case study that is for sure.

Not sure how I feel about it. As long as they are not breaking any current FIFA rules I say why hate the player.? Hate the game. And if the kids want to giver up on the Selecao dreams then that is their right to (even at a young age.)

That being said, I can see why people would hate this mercenary poaching style of recruiting and it gives unfair advantages to countries that can just buy their way to the top through other Federations' youth.

. .

leonidas repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I struggle to find an English article about this change. But if it's happening it's a response to the 4:0 loss to Qatar in the Asian Cup. Qatar of course have been a lot more "liberal" than the UAE in naturalizing players and it has led to a stronger team. In any case, these Brazilians still have to live and play in the UAE for five years before they can become UAE national team players as per FIFA regulations. After living for five years in a country a bond with that nation is established. How strong a bond is of course up for debate, but these players are not landing in the UAE and immediately heading to the stadium to play for the national team.

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I agree. My issue though is that it is pretty apparent that the UAE government, UAE Federation, and clubs are all working in concert here. You can say the same thing with China even, though I don't think it's as egregious as this. What the UAE is doing here is just offensive. It's not quite the same as a Brazilian going on his own to Ukraine or Russia and then playing there for 5 years and getting naturalized. These players can only go to UAE if they have not played for Brazil's youth teams. I personally think FIFA needs to address this at some point.

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I see what you mean. However, I very much doubt FIFA would get involved. Such matters are typically governed by local labour law.

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My own nation has a long history of selecting naturalised players in the national team. I've never seen anything particularly wrong with it. Some nations push the envelope a bit in allowing special exemptions which FIFA's five year rule was meant to address. It has a flaw in it that it prevents a person who's family arrived in a country to settle when they were children from representing the country they were brought up in until they are 28, but to my knowledge FIFA has always allowed an exemption in these cases when its applied for. We have a few of those at the moment who have represented Australia in recent times. We also seem to have started searching overseas for people who may be eligible for Australian citizenship with two recent representatives who made their first visits to Australia to play for the national team.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean 23 instead of 28 (5 years continuous residence after turning 18).

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes sorry I got confused. Added the 5 on to the minimum eligibility age.

18. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Interesting part is what happens if they later accept a call-up from Brazil? But yea, FIFA might need to have a think about this...

leonidas repped this.
  19. Juniorcbr

Juniorcbr Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Seems to be definitely plausible. I pulled up the young players playing in UAE Pro League who are U21 from South America and never appeared for the National Teams from Transfermarkt and formatting from Wikipedia. While I understand that many talented young Brazilians and Argentines never get an opportunity to play for their countries, I think it would be worthwhile to have this list here for future reference here in case we need to get back to this case.

Eduardo Voltan da Silva (born 29 November 2000) is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al Wahda.

Gláuber Siqueira dos Santos Lima (born 22 May 2000), commonly known as Gláuber, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al-Nasr.

Gabriel Valentini da Silva (born 26 September 2000), commonly known as Gabriel Valentini, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al-Nasr, on loan from Juventude.

Matheus Avelino Da Silva (born 29 December 2000) is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al-Wasl.

Natan Felipe Bedriali (born 29 January 2000) is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al-Wasl.

Marcus Vinicius Barbosa Meloni (born 25 June 2000) is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Sharjah.

Rafael dos Santos Resende (born 5 March 2000), commonly known as Resende, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Sharjah.

Renner de Souza Silva (born 24 February 2000), commonly known as Renner, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Al Jazira.

Saile Samuel Da Silva Souza (born 14 September 2000), commonly known as Saile Souza is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Baniyas.

João Victor Lucas Wesner (born 23 March 2000) is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Baniyas.

Lucca Farias Di Giuseppe (born 10 March 2000), commonly known as Lucca Farias, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Khor Fakkan.

Kainandro da Silva Pereira Santos (born 4 June 2000), commonly known as Kainandro, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Ittihad Kalba, on loan from Vasco da Gama.

Antonio Valmor Assis Da Silva Junior (born 6 March 2000), commonly known as Juninho, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Khor Fakkan.

Willian Gabriel Galvão Forte (born 10 May 2000), commonly known as Willian Forte, is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Ittihad Kalba.

Joaquín Pérez Ibáñez (born 1 February 2000) is an Argentine footballer who currently plays as a forward for Al-Wasl.

leonidas repped this.
  20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HomietheClown repped this.
  21. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    England and Nigeria are going to be battling for the next decade over British born players of Nigerian descent.

The super eagles is currently made up of a few British born players like

Alex Iwobi (Everton)
    Ola Aina (Torino)
    Joe Aribo (Rangers)
    Semi Ajayi (Westbromich)
    Josh Maja (Bordeaux)

None of these players are good enough for England, although England really tried to persuade Iwobi from joining Nigeria. Ola Aina I would say may have had a fringe career with 3 Lions.

However many new emerging talents are said to be considering the switch.

Recently both Ademola Lookman (RB Leipzig) and Ovie Ejaria (Reading/Liverpool) have completed the switch over to Nigeria. Both members of the U20 England world cup winning squad.

It has also been reported that both Eberechi Eze (QPR) One of the top players in the Championship heavily linked to many Premier league clubs and Bukayo Saka (Arsenal) are being heavily courted for a switch and considering their options.

Man City owned Tosin Adarabioyo also said to be heavily considering an international switch.

Interesting times, Nigeria is quietly putting together a strong team for 2022. The Nigeria vs England tussle will go on for a decade at least.

Juniorcbr and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  22. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nice. Exciting team there.

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse my ignorance: who's Nigeria's current coach? And is he/the Fed making the necessary good-faith efforts to lobby these dual-nationals (unlike, say, US Soccer letting the Mexican federation eat its lunch)?

24. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The coach is still Gernot Rohr (thd guy that coached them this past WC. I can't answef the second part of youd question, though. I hope they are. Nigeria is a fun team to watch and can be even more fun.

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

yes its Gernot Rohr, and the Fed has been working on this strategy for a while and I have shared the successes, but as I stated those are mostly players who would not have made it with England, they are now hoping to poach some more high profile players.

England is where most dual Nigerian players are, but there are also others in Germany, Belgium, Holland.

We have recently also convinced Cyriel Dessers (Belgium/Nigeria) who was top scorer in the Dutch league last year, as well as Kingsley Ezibuhue (Holland/Nigeria) FC Koln to play for us, and they would have made their debuts in the last March 2020 window which was cancelled.

Rumors are that we are also trying to get some German/Nigerian defenders like Felix Udokhai and Felix Torunariga.

I thought the US was doing pretty good with dual nationals, especially out of Germany.

Are you saying Mexico is winning the battle against the US in capping dual nationals ?

Philip J. Fry repped this.