Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Dieses Thema im Forum 'FIFA and Tournaments' wurde von Nico Limmat gestartet, 21 Juni 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

9 Oktober 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of speculation this morning that Leon Bailey would be called in for England (along with a little trolling from Leon), but he's not eligible.

Thanks to FIFA eligibility rules, Bailey would be free to switch allegiance to another country he is eligible for as he has not played a competitive game at senior international level. The winger has grandparents who hold British passports, but in order for him to be eligible for England, they would have had to be born in England.

Reports in Jamaica indicate that, while Bailey's grandparents are English, they were not born in England, and thus he would not fulfil the residency requirements to play for the Three Lions.

Butler's sister Laura claimed that his adopted background made him eligible, telling the Gleaner: "Our grandparent, Frank Lesley Holman, fought in World War II for the British Air Force, so he qualifies by that standard."

However, despite the British military background, the FIFA statutes indicate that the parental rules apply only to the biological ancestry of the player. Bailey would only be connected to Holman via adoption rather than biology, and only as a great-grandchild rather than having a grandparent-grandchild link, so would not make him eligible for England as a result.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/why-...-star-at-the-world/1gppbz4gkgoul1aecw1m9qy6hm

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

21 September 2013
    Hard to tell if FIFA view NL group games as an "Official Competition at A international level". Unlike friendlies, the NL games are indeed competitive but if they leave players cap-tied then there aren't many moments to "test the water" (which is possible in friendlies without ending up cap-tied). Some doubt remains as FIFA has given NL group games a very low I weight: 5 (friendlies outside the IMC) ... 10 (friendlies during the IMC) ... 15 (NL group games) ... then it jumps to 25 (Qualis but also NL finals and play-offs).

@Nico Limmat maybe the Swiss can shed some light on this issue, seeing they used Mbabu and Ajeti in their NL group game against Iceland (they were/still are eligible for other teams than Switzerland).

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    4 September 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    My humble opinion is that they should count as official cap- tying matches. Especially since there is a connection to Euro 2020 qualifying.

unclesox und Paul Calixte gefällt dies.
  4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    30 April 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for games against non-FIFA members, of course (in Concacaf's case).

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    4 September 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmmm.

That one is a bit more sticky in my mind. But makes sense.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

24 Oktober 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It wasn't picked up by the Swiss media, but it is interesting that newcomers Kevin Mbabu, Albian Ajeti and Djibril Sow all played in the UNL game against Iceland. DR Congo, Albania and Senegal respectively have been sniffing around these players. Perhaps Swiss coach Petkovic knows something we don't?

7. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    25 Mai 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I get the logic, but it also isn't particularly fair to the federations that do not have their own Nations League.

With that said, I think it's ok if these matches ultimately receive the same treatment as a youth World Cup -- it ties you unless you were already eligible to play for another country.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    30 April 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be on those Confeds to get with the times, though?

Then again, it's a moot point if the Global Nations League happens (c'mon, FIFA, give us an update! :D ) - every confederation would have to set up their Nations League in turn.

9. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    25 Mai 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think the Nations League makes sense for the Confederations that have many members. it doesn't make sense for CONMEBOL, unless there is an eventual merger (or alliance or whatever) with CONCACAF, which I am not sure will ever happen.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

9 Oktober 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could argue that Concacaf having a Gold Cup every 2 years is unfair to those that only do one every 4 years. There are a lot of things a confed can do if they want more competitive opportunities at the youth or NT levels.

HomietheClown gefällt dies.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    30 April 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in a vacuum...but you've seen the image with the possible breakdown of Global Nations League finals berths, right?

f741a8a36a0b56010564988b0f495f82.png

Again, completely unofficial for now. But if FIFA approves something like this, then CONMEBOL would naturally have to set up a Nations League group stage with two divisions. A mock draw:

CONMEBOL NL Div 1

Group 1

Uruguay
    Argentina
    Peru

Group 2

Brazil
    Chile
    Colombia

CONMEBOL NL Div 2

Group 3

Paraguay
    Venezuela
    Ecuador
    Bolivia

The winners of each group would go to the FIFA finals in their division; as well, the top two in Group 3 get promoted for the next edition, while the worst finisher in each of the Div-1 groups goes down.

A sample of how a normal WC cycle would work under the circumstances:

Year 0:

June - World Cup
    September - CONMEBOL NL
    October - CONMEBOL NL
    November - CONMEBOL NL

Year 1:

March - WCQ
    June - FIFA GNL, WCQ
    September - WCQ
    October - WCQ
    November - WCQ

Year 2:

March - WCQ
    June - Copa América
    September - CONMEBOL NL
    October - CONMEBOL NL
    November - CONMEBOL NL

Year 3:

March - WCQ
    June - FIFA GNL
    September - WCQ
    October - WCQ
    November - WC playoffs

Year 4:

March - Friendlies
    June - World Cup

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    25 Mai 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    That's true. African Cup of Nations is another one played every 2 years.

Guess it just sucks for CONMEBOL, AFC, and Oceania.

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    25 Mai 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

Interesting concept. This is the first I've heard of it so thanks for sharing!

From a CONMEBOL perspective though, the Global Nations League is less interesting because the level of parity in CONMEBOL is already quite high, and I'd say a lot of that has to do with the Confederation's superior WCQ set-up, which again is only possible because it's the smallest confederation.

With that said, if FIFA does get its way in expanding the 2026 WC, it would then, in my view, ruin what was a great South American qualifying system. Oh well! Anyways....that's a topic for another day.

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    29 November 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know I'm an outsider but the increase in teams participating in the World Cup takes some of the fun and competitiveness out of CONMEBOL's current system. Maybe you could simplify qualifying by going back to a shorter group structure and covert the current ten nation qualifying system into a CONMEBOL nations league.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    4 September 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But then Brazil and Argentina would never play each other in qualifying.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    30 April 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun, maybe. Competitiveness? Have you met South American teams? The list of South American matchups that aren't rivalries is shorter than the ones that are. :D

deejay gefällt dies.
  17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

21 September 2013
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...el_jetzt-doch_bailey-spielt-fuer-jamaika.html

Apparently Bailey will join Jamaica. Good for the kid. Was about time that he became a full international.

According to the article he could be cap-tied in the CONCACAF Nations League.

BostonRed gefällt dies.
  18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    30 April 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

9 Oktober 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting point that I'd like to see a ruling from FIFA on. It is a CONCACAF competitive match. When, for example, Japan, plays in the Copa America, it's considered a guest team and no cap-tie applies to them, but should apply to any CONMEBOL team they are playing.

Of course, we never got a straight answer if the Copa America Centenario was cap-tying for all teams or only the CONMEBOL squads. Seems FIFA only gives detailed rulings when someone makes a challenge.

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

21 September 2013
    "According to the article" ... I simply translated what the author wrote. Didn't check Jamaica's opponents and so far I haven't read anything from FIFA that NL games leave players cap-tied. The author seems to think so but he probably didn't check Jamaica's opponents either.

21. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

20 Juni 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Certainly won't be this month as he isn't playing. Apparently pissed because only he got the call up and not his brother. :rolleyes:

I won't quote you the response his father posted on FB as that requires both a bathroom and two coffee breaks to get through. Long story short, this saga will continue for yet some time... :sleep::sleep::sleep:

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

21 September 2013
    Care to share it or a screencap of the response?

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

24 Oktober 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Clearly the Swiss coaching staff thinks that the UEFA Nations League cap-ties a player. Yet another debut tonight. Yvon Mvogo who has been courted by Cameroon.

Paul Calixte gefällt dies.
  24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

21 September 2013
    The Dutch commentator said Danjuma (eligible for Holland and Nigeria) was cap-tied during the Holland v Germany NL game.

25. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    29 November 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think all A internationals should count, including "A" friendlies.

unclesox gefällt dies.

Die Seite empfehlen