Platini wants Benelux league (Belgian posters also welcome to join the discussion!)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Mar 25, 2009.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Right now that Platini has suggested it, the Dutch FA's chairman (former Ajax twat Van Praag) has announced that this will be researched as a potentially viable option. The subject deserves a separate thread IMO.

Van Praag argues that the merger could lead to increased television revenues, again underscoring that football big wigs these days are more interested in television audiences than in the actual fans and what they want and need. My point is: there is feck all wrong with the Dutch league. It's never been more popular! I would potentially be in favour of bringing down the number of clubs to sixteen or fourteen even, but a merger with the Belgians? No thanks.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not interested either. I follow the ere-divisie, but I've no interest to trade the games against, say, Lokeren and Cercle for Ajax and Feyenoord. Long-standing rivalries mean a lot. And it's not like even with the increase of TV money that it would supposedly mean we'd suddenly be competitive in the CL again. It's an idea that would have little return and a very large cost imho.

Also when will Platini learn that for most of us in the smaller leagues, playing in the CL isn't the apex. Only those clubs still trapped in delusions of their glorious past think like that, the more rational ones are quite content wallowing in the obscurity of their backwater league. Why can't that French prat just leave us the feck alone.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Let's assume that all clubs would be able to double revenues (highly unlikely, but let's assume it for argument's sake). Then we still wouldn't be on the financial level of England, Spain, Italy, or even France and Germany! We'd be slightly less crap in the CL perhaps, and that's what they want to throw away two perfectly viable and distinctive football leagues and culture for? It's absurd.

I predict big protests against this from the fans in both the NL and Belgium.

4. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
  5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly. With all of their money they're not exactly doing miles better than the Dutch in Europe.

End of the day this shouldn't be decided by managers and chairmen and other big wigs. Football belongs to the fans and what counts is what they want, not how much money these leagues are making.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where will this nonsense stop? He also is proposing a reunification of all the leagues that came from the former Yugoslavia (imagine the fan violence at those matches!!). Why not merge Austria and Hungary, etc. Maybe Platini should focus more on why the English teams are dominating in the CL (and will continue for some time to come) rather than trying to fix what isn't broken. Leave the CL to the 8 or so teams that end up in the quarter finals every year and do away with all the other fixtures (which only lead to tired teams and injuries). If you look at how many teams qualify for CL football and UEFA (now Europa) cup action, it's a lot. Is this competition worth the money (excepting the big clubs)????

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Forgot to add my other favorite rant to the above post - Platini should take firm steps to end child trafficking in football players whether intra-Europe (15 year old Dutch kids to Arsenal) or inter-Europe (the scandalous eating and spitting out of young African and Latin kids). this would be a sound accomplishment for M. Platini to retire on.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's all about money, that's the thing. Mr Platini probably believes the Dutch and the Belgian could generate more income for UEFA through a merged league. What's even worse is that our own KNVB wants to seriously look into this. We don't want it Van Praag! And neither do any of the Dutch clubs with the exception of PSV (this has been a topic of discussion before in the NL, it was then laughed away by all parties involved)

9. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    This post is right on the money. There's no need for a merger of leagues when talent stays just those few years longer in their home league. This has always worked. Although part of the responsibilities lays with clubs and players not choosing for the money and going abroad too soon. Drenthe for example is a prime example of how not to do it. Feyenoord not being able to keep van Persie a few more years another. Merging the Belgian and Dutch league won't solve these problems.

10. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    If it smells like a duck--quacks like a duck --and walks like a duck--its probably a duck

the same can be said for a bad idea--if everyone in the room thinks its bad--guess what--its bad

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    To be fair, I think Platini is in favour of an under 18 transfer ban.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes he is and as I noted before, this would be a major accomplishment. Look at all the young Dutch players who are languishing in other leagues right now. They saw what they thought would be easy money and now it's not looking so promising afterall. Where are they going to go when they find this out?

Phil Holland has an interesting column over at Soccernet today on "Saving Football from Itself: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=631025&sec=global&root=global&cc=5901 I don't know whether a salary cap can be instituted but it work well in all of our professional sports leagues here in the US. Also at least 10 lower division English teams are in financial trouble and could see point deductions. We know fully well the problems of Valencia which is perhaps the biggest club in this same fix (though I don't doubt there are more who are only getting by by cooking the books). Even the Italian league is not faring well. I watch Juventus and Inter matches when they are on and it's appalling to see all the empty seats (with the exceptions of the big derby matches).

13. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    I definately agree with all whom are against a Benelux league. Visiting de kuip on a nice sunday afternoon seeing Feyenoord square off with Anderlecht does nothing for me. There is nothng wrong with our league, and it is continually rising in popularity. The real problems are highlighted in the english game.

I am a huge suporter of the 6+5 rule, as well as banning the transfers of underaged players. Leagues particularly like ours have relied on the large contribution of our youth development with a handful of older players to make up a squad.

If club success in europe is so important to platini, he would notice that our greatest success came under this model. Our players are leaving dutch clubs far too early because the money is not there and our clubs are no longer viewed as being in the elite in europe because of it. We are no longer able to hold onto the skill we have developed and nurtured.

Can you imagine a Feyenoord attack with Makaay, Kuijt and Kalou mixed with our younger talents such as Wijnaldum.

Or Ajax with van der vaart, sneijder, huntelaar and babel going forward?

20 or even 10 years ago it would not be absurd to suggest that all of these players may still play for dutch clubs. Money has pulled our players away from our clubs and in turn we are losing our identity as top performing clubs in europe (if this is what is so important in modern football) because of it.

I believe the banning of minor transfers with the addition of a 6+5 rule, protects the sanctity of club football within each country as best possible. Cruijff never left Ajax until he was 26 and still accomplished great things in barcelona and abroad

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not about to underetake this research project but I would imagine that Brazilian players followed closely by Argentina are the biggest benficiaries of the current state of European football (fair numbe play in the Netherlands today).

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If Dutch clubs got a financial reward for under 18 transfers it would perhaps be excusable from a financial perspective but the truth is no Dutch club can afford to take the risk of awarding an under 18 year old a proper grown up contract (as god knows how theyll develop) and as a result they get little to nothing for their under 18 transfers, not until they get sold off to yet another club in any case. Big clubs in big leagues by contrast can afford that risk. They simply get in what, 20 or so under 18 talents in each generation and if one of them makes it, then well played, and who cares about what happens to the rest. It's the career of players like Ruud Van Nistelrooy that just completely proves how wrong this strategy is for football in general. If the Dutch league was the premiership, a late bloomer like Van Nistelrooy would now play for an amateur club and he'd probably be a chipie or similar right now. I mean never mind what the Dutch want, it's certifiably bad for football in general the way the football economy is led now. Even the top leagues are suffering in the long term (even though they don't want to see it now) as theyre not even giving their homegrown talent a chance to develop. Players these days have to be the ready product at the age of 18 and that's writing off a lot of talent right there.

I know this is just me but I really don't care much about how Dutch clubs perform in Europe. It's the domestic league that's the bread and butter of your football existence, European football is just the icing on the cake. The powers that be ignore that fact because they're more interested in television revenues than in actually keeping the fans happy and that in my view is disgusting. I'm serious when I say that it's time for an uprising of the fans. It's time for us to say enough is enough, we won't take this shite any longer. We want to enjoy football our way and not your way. Let the premiership, Spanish and Italian clubs have their elitist take on football, and be happy with it. Let the rest just get on with their business and FFS Platini stop interfering with something that's actually, if you looked into it properly, rather good.

As for Michael van Praag: we get it now. You said you wanted to consider the Benelux league to get a job on the UEFA executive committee. Congrats on your new job, I bet it pays for your six holidays a year.

16. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wouldn't mind seeing Anderlecht and Club Brugge in the Eredivisie, in fact, let's add Schalke and Borussia Dortmund as well. Now that would be mouthwatering..

The 6+5 rule is nonsense, what Uefa needs to do is implement salary caps and limit the total number of senior and youth players under contract by a club. The current situation is unsustainable, but we need a Bosman-type event to change things towards a more level playing field across Europe.

17. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Salary caps are the worst idea ever. The only thing it would accomplish is making Monaco unbeatable since with the absence of income tax their cap would effectively be 40% higher than anyone else'.

I'm dead against merging the Dutch and Belgian leagues, unless Belgium were to rejoin the Kingdom, which I don't see happing in my lifetime.

The argument that it would result in more European spots seems flawed. This year both countries had a combined 10 clubs in Europe, 4 of which Champions League. England had 9. So even when the combined league would dominate Europe it would still be a step backwards in that regard.

I'd rather watch a shitty match against a rival than a high level game without any history.

Also, I think shrinking the league to 16 or 14 clubs is a bad idea. The Eredivisie has had the same format for over 50 years. There has been some tinkering with play-offs and stuff, but the basic set up has always remained the same. Why change it now? It would be destroying history. Cruijff's 30 wins in a season would be meaningless, as would Coen Dillen's 43 goals. Besides, Excelsior came in last with 27 points last year, a record high I think, which shows that the small clubs aren't getting any weaker. Current last placed Volendam has 21 points with 6 to play by the way.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And we again need a Tukker to bring in the voice of reason: Henk Kesler, Managing Director of professional football in the NL, said there won't be a merger and that the Dutch FA will not be researching the idea - turns out it was just a Michael van Praag thing. Kesler commented: "The idea is old. The clubs don't want it and they're the ones who decide". Thank god for that. Like I said in my previous post, it was probably a political campaign trick by Van Praag to ensure his spot in the UEFA executive board. What an arse.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/3566103/__BeNe-liga_alweer_van_de_baan__.html?p=1,1

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What else is new? :rolleyes:

20. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    True, different tax systems are a major problem, and I guess purchasing power is an issue as well, 100mln euro in the Netherlands is worth less than 100mln euro in Turkey. But 6+5 is a definute no-go, as that goes directly against EU laws, making salary caps the next best thing.

Not changing things is not always better, otherwise we'd all still be living in caves now.:p But I get your point.

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salary caps are probably too difficult to put into practice, but I think they are a very good idea. Soccer fans may not like American football, but there is a lesson here that in the NFL, with a short (sixteen game) season, is the most profitable sports league in the world. Part of that is because the league is extraordinarily well-run, but part of it is because the system is designed to ensure a level playing-field financially, meaning that teams have to rely on actual coaching and player development to succeed. The teams that do try to buy their way to a title tend to fail.

And it's not just about profit, either. Because there tends to be more parity in the NFL, the fans are (relatively speaking, this is America we're talking about here, where fans tend to not be as passionate as in Europe) up for every game. And it would limit foreign clubs swooping in to buy young players. I'd be all for it.

I personally am not a fan of the 6+5 rule, but I would be happy with a ban on the transfer of players under 18. And I totally support ending the pseudo-slave trade of importing young Africans and South Americans into Europe.

22. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    whilst agreing that this Benelux league idea is a horrible one, how would it work? would they put, say, the top 9 teams from netherlands and belguim in one league? if so wheres the 'lux' bit come from? I have no idea if Luxembourg have any teams to be honest.....

Pressumably the Dutch fans are against it, the money men/TV people must be the ones in favour. Whats the KNVB's line?

23. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Luxembough National Division

Their national team is complete rubbish and is mainly made up of players from this league.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The KNVB chairman is in favour but in my view that's also for political reasons as he's a member of the UEFA executive committee and wants to suck up to Platini. The KNVB director of professional football however is strongly against because the Dutch clubs don't want it. And as long as they don't, this will never happen.