PKs: Portland v. SKC [R]

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Tigerpunk, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
  2. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    The kick in question is at 2:35. It doesn't seem especially egregious to me but I'm curious to hear about what others thing.

Watching the game in real time I thought Villareal was much too lenient... at a minimum I'd have given a red card to Nemeth, and there at least a few more players you could argue should have been tossed as well. Although I'm loathe to link to Simon Borg, he's got video of the Nemeth incident (starting at 0:43) here:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...ick-out-portland-instant-replay?autoplay=true

3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    No.

At the time the ball was kicked his back foot was still on the line. Typically you will have to see the Keeper completely off it and then be out a ways before its called.

4. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I didn't think any of these kicks were remotely outside the bounds of normal GK activity, so I'm finding it strange that so many people are commenting about it. Alvas completely telegraphed his location and Kempin just moved along his line, it should have been easy for him to change sides before he shot.

I'm glad Villareal was able to keep everyone on the field too, thought he did a a pretty good job in a difficult environment.