Pre-match: Philthy Union v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Apr 26, 2018.

1. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expecting DC United to win up a goal and a man vs Orlando City is ignorance? Expecting DC United to win vs a team that has scored 3 goals all season while having a week off is ignorance?

15 road trips are hard, that I agree but the early portion of the schedule has been mixed with fake home games and multiple weeks off. We haven't even gotten to the difficult stretch of road games which starts with RSL.

Road wins were there for the taking in these first games but we blew it.

2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also only 12 road games, with the longest stretch without a "home" game being 8

Winoman repped this.
  3. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point. For much of this season we haven't looked like a team that could get any result anywhere. But perhaps with some adjustments like getting Stieber on the field, sitting Segura and a healthy Canouse all will have not been lost by the time Buzzard Point opens.

Winoman repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The problem with that analysis is this: Stieber was in because Arriola was suspended. Previously, Stieber's start had been in Acosta's role where he was and is, a far less effective player than on the wing. Despite Arriola's largely ineffective performance so far, Stieber has been pinned to the bench. Maybe Olsen sits Arriola for Stieber, but does Olsen have the cojones to tell the FO that its one DP isn't good enough to start? As for Canouse, you are betting that his level of play will substantially surpass one of Segura, Moreno or Durkin. Maybe, but that's a very slender reed to hold onto.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still not impressed by Wolyniec. And no any schumck won't do. Other wise they would offer me the job.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Segura can be replaced by a bad U-10 rec player. His one goal does not save the fact that he is useless out there. I made of point of watching him in Philly. I was not impressed. He is living up to my deck chair moniker for him. Moreno is just as bad. Durkin has shown me something.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Have you checked your e-mails? :p

bigredfutbol, Funkfoot and Winoman repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we used to call him Franken-something? I remember him being painful to watch.

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, that was one of Segura's worst games for us. He and Moreno are both solid subs, and Segura's previous three outings have been worthy ones, I thought.

Canouse's form from last year was better than any of them, and I think we'd do very well pairing him with Durkin in the middle. I'm a little worried at how long it's taking him to come back, he and Kemp both.

fatbastard, DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  10. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've moved your goalposts. Your original statement was

I've come up with five potential replacements, without much research. Two of them are college coaches you said you would do some research on.

The other three are coaches you aren't impressed by, but they are definitely viable replacements, which was the standard you set. I gave you specific names, and there are others easily available.

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    At the moment, I'm with @shawn12011 on Segura being a deck chair. The Philly came was painful, he jogged around like he had just been released from the hospital and was "conserving" energy. He was the one that failed to track Spector in Orlando on the play that led to the tieing goal. OTOH, he played well in Annapolis, that could just be adjusting to MLS or the, more likely, that he is a mediocre player who can't maintain an acceptable level of play week in and week out. Moreno's hamstrings have made evaluating him almost impossible. Durkin has such a high upside that I would play him and let him develop. His soccer IQ is high and because of that, and his age, I would forgive gaffes that if made by Segura and Moreno who are 6 years older would be much harder to forgive. Given that this goat rodeo isn't making the postseason this year, let Durkin develop and have him better seasoned for next year, or sell him to Benfica or some other Euro club for bucks that might bring in better forwards or central defenders. Maybe we can send doctored videos to that Israeli club and see if they are still interested in Birnbaum.

Winoman and Hedbal repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, Benny using Sieber only as a late-game sub for Arriola was one of his dumber moves this season. As I've said elsewhere, I would run out Sieber and Arriola as wings (just like last year) and move the very effective Asad inside Since I guess Acosta is a given starter, this would mean sitting Segura. Durkin has exceeded expectations at DM. When Canouse returns a decision will have to be made, but the job is Durkin's for now.

Winoman repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So replace the three then.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not counting on this. He is taking a really long time to recover from a "knock." I don't know anything about it, but it seems ominous to me.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a sprained knee and a hamstring injury at the same time counts as a simple "knock".

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Whatever. I'm not counting on him. Or Taylor Kemp (not that I think he should be first choice if he does come back).

17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still SIX months left in the season. 27 matches. To write both Kemp and Canouse off for all of them alright is mighty pessimistic and short sighted.

fatbastard, ejs1111 and UnitedBorn repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It’s actually kind of crazy how quickly you can write off players on this team and not be wrong.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Not counting on" =/= "writing off for the season"

Winoman repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It's beginning to look like the write off can start with the press announcement or allowing for BS press coverage,at least when the player completes his second training session. The FO looks like the inspiration for Jack and the Beanstock, except the beans never germinate and the cow we traded wins the county fair

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, maybe a new forum tagline :cool:

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Winoman repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See post #147.

24. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Random: My wife texted me Sat morning asking if I knew who Jeffrey and Arriola are since they had arrived for conditioning work at the sport club she works at.

Winoman, Adler, fatbastard and 1 other person repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeffrey who?