Philly Union and SOB situation.

Discussion in 'The River End' started by local136RiverRat, Aug 16, 2013.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    realistically I think anyone buying tickets in the River End probably realizes it's a Standing Section during game play... PPL is established enough at this point where 99% of people are familiar with how things work.

2. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of what we worked out with the team on the new system is the clear statement that anyone purchasing tickets in TRE is subject to the stadium policies for the section as well as the SoB Code of Conduct. That part will not change at all.

cwelch999 and Ruud11 repped this.
  3. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that there's signs going into each and every section outlining that it's a standing section.

@mansbro I'd like to echo how good a job Tim has done this year. I've volunteered for Tifo almost every game this season and he along with Bill Gusler and Corinne Murray, everything is down to a science. We're in and out in like a half hour now.

4. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. We don't get much feedback about things like this so knowing it's working is a good thing. Tim, Bill, and Corinne (as well as all the others that volunteer) do a great job every time. Getting more ideas in place and designing and building them out will be key going forward.

5. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thanks for stopping by. In my opinion, lack of communication is a problem, but some Q+A's like this every once in a while will help. There are a lot of us that are SOB's, we sing, we chant and we just want to know more about the group that we are a part of. The lack of communication sometimes leads to erroneous speculation, but we have to work with what we got. Thanks again for stopping by.

6. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is the only thing that frustrates me at times. i have 5 tickets in the same row, and we all like to stand together. However, 5 grown men are bigger than the 5 seats, and subsequent seat space in front of them. We run into the occasional first timers who feel the need to defend their cement space, but usually a polite "can you slide down?" solves it.

also, @mansbro we need more iron maiden songs.

thomas19064 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  7. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A thousand reps.

8. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    even just the "whoa ohhh whoa ohhhh ohhhh" rock in rio style.

also, fear of the dark and ppl park are interchangable.

TonyClarkDOOP and Handsome Pete repped this.
  9. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're trying to do more of this. It sounds silly but time is always the issue but we are working on it. You'll probably see more events like the Joint Summits but we're also going to try to setup Google Hangouts, etc. We have someone coming on board to manage the website, we had Jeff Mitchell take over our social media, and Jenkinson is now doing the 'Nacks. Who knows? We may actually move back to BigSoccer for open forum discussions as well.

10. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Doesn't have to be Q+A, just more information about what is going on within the group.

11. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I really think that with the new ticket policies next year the section reps HAVE to be brought back again. It would create point people in every section again that can deal with small issues before you need to drag an elder or CSC into the issue AND it would allow more people to help spread chants and songs again.

One of the issues I think with the songs is that by the time the farther sections can figure out what is going on the chant stops and that was one of the huge advantages the reps had with the headsets was that we knew what songs were coming and could start them on time.

And just the presence of them defused an issue or two because people saw the headset and knew I could reach out and deal with something.

12. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse, I think we're going to make a move back to the section leaders, hopefully in the near future. I agree that they did help with spreading chants and helping push out to the sections what was going on. The actual radios were purchased as a direct result of the recommendation of that group. Where it tapered off was the participation in the meetings we setup became nonexistent and people just stopped showing up to get their credentials and radios.

Despite that, having them in place really has become an essential need until we have some better method of spreading the information across the entire River End.

13. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    great stuff today!!!!

14. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the story that they were two chants "Philadelphia" *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap* and "UNION" *clapclapclap*, and that the team sort of just spliced them together for the soundbyte? The later has seem to have died from the first year chants.

15. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What ever happened to "I'm Sticking to the Union?"

16. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear it after an away team scores, only from the middle section though.

mansbro repped this.
  17. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that there was a SoB specific board elsewhere but then it either moved, disappeared, or the link I had got lost. Does it still exist? Can there be a link to it from the membership profile page on the website or perhaps a link to it in the 'Nack?

Also how's the new job?

18. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

part of the issue is also that people will have, say, 2 tickets in a spot but then 3 of their buddies from another section in TRE come to hang out with them. it gets frustrating

19. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 mansbro, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
    We had a message board setup with the previous membership system but no one really used it. We're exploring something new but for the mean time we keep the majority of conversations on social media and, like I said previously, we may just push everything back to BigSoccer.

Job it going well. The schedule absolutely sucks though. Wreaks havoc on the family. Other then that, it's great.

I've heard and seen that. I'm not quite sure what we can do about it other than self police (I know, people hate to hear that term).

20. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i dont really care if i am in front of my exact seats, i just want my row haha

21. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had that problem but I can see how it would happen.

22. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how hard TRE tries, no matter how much we make the effort to be supporters throughout the stadium, the unfortunate reality is we are all pretenders when compared to this. This is what soccer in the USA can be. Here is to hoping that someday we, the Union and it's fans and supporters get there! Hopefully in my lifetime!

EmeraldDawn, jaykoz3 and Ruud11 repped this.
  23. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i missed this board so much

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the SoB sub-groups (Bearfight, Corner, Creeps, IllegitimateS) or non-TRE ones (Tammany Saints, The Bridge Crew, El Bandito's Battalion)?
    Seeing as this is where SoB was born and raised, and the BigSoccer section is a veritable ghost town, this would not be a bad thing.
    Don't know if serious ...

25. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't SSFC help bankroll their supports' tifo?

That said, it's impressive seeing 60,000 American's ALL STANDING for 90 minutes of a sporting event.